Search

Tell Me About the North Shore in Late May/Early June

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Me About the North Shore in Late May/Early June

Hi everyone!

My wife and I have decided to stay on the North shore. We got a great deal on a beautiful condo and the north just called to us for some reason! We'll be there in the last week of May and first week of June. I'd like some opinions and views on some things if you all can! We'll have our kids with us too, 7 and 10 years old. We plan to use the North as our base but we will explore the whole island and do some trips to the south ,etc. We are not limiting ourselves, but know the majority of time will be spent up north just due to proximity and ease.

Weather - I know it's not the rainy season but I know the north also gets more rain than the south. What can I expect?

Ocean - Realizing that the ocean will do what it will do but that it is usually calmer on the north during this time of year, I'd still like to hear from people who live or have been here. (Beach recommendations too)

Food - I don't believe we'll have the choices or selection that you would in the south. That is okay, and I'd like some recommendations on best places to eat, your experiences, etc. We'll probably plan to eat in the condo at times too. (Mostly breakfast)

Things to do - I'd love your recommendations on the must see/must to do things up north. (And in general)

Day trip to Waimea Canyon - We definitely want to see Waimea Canyon and are thinking about an overnight trip. Probably heading down early, seeing some beaches, etc., staying overnight somewhere closer to Waimea Canyon (cheap Air BnB or something) and then heading out early. Thoughts on this? Has anyone done something like this before?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Jeff

Last edited by jeff5; Jan 20th, 2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:22 PM

I've only been to Kauai in early to mid May and the fall, it is beautiful up there. Right now the road past Hanalei is closed due to extensive flood damage last year, so check on expected opening date. Right now it is only open to local residents so Kalalau Trail, Ke'e and Tunnels beaches and the Limahuli Gardens are not available.
Plenty of places to eat in Hanalei, Hanalei Gourmet, Kalypso, Hanalei Dolphin and others, a few places near Kileaua and the bar at Hanalei Bay Resort serves decent bar food.
NaPali boat tours should be running again that time of year.
Just do the Canyon as a long daytrip, not a lot of places to stay in the area. There are the Waimea Plantation Cottages, but they are not cheap. HINT: Drive north past the Canyon to Koke'e State Park first to see the Kalalau Lookout as it can fog over mid to late morning then stop at the Canyon on the way down.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 01:46 AM

OK, looks like you are meaning the North Shore on Kauai. Weather should be fine as its essentially summer then. Some chances for showers based on the location but generally they pass fast at that time of year. More likely to be hot and dry. Other poster is correct that the area is still suffering the after effects of flooding last year. (I would check online with the Kauai Visitors Bureau for the latest. I have not been over there for about a year but friends there have complained the recovery is slow, even for Kauai.) Not sure what restaurants are operating given the issues Hanalei faced so again check the KVB site. If you are staying in Princeville there are some places to eat around there in the small shopping center too. As far as the drive to Waimea, its a long day trip starting early especially as the coastal road from Kilauaea area thru Kapaa then Lihue is usually backed up on weekdays. So plan on a good amount of time and miles driving.
Beachwise you should be fine for the kids. Some nice beaches along that coast but some of the best might be hard to access if the roads are not open yet, e.g. Kee, Lumahai. If the Na Pali tours are running those are a blast especially for kids, sit up front in the raft and hang on, plan to bounce around and get wet but also usually see some wildlife, great sea caves, etc. There are some easy hiking trails that can be fun for kids out there but check with the Princeville Ranch site for whats operating. In the past, there was a ziplining operation there, some great horse rides, some very mellow kayaking up the Hanalei river that you can do with kids. There also is a helicopter touring operation out there that is very established and while a bit pricey also a once in a lifetime kind of experience. Thats just off the top of my head But, for sure check out the KVB site to see the latest information. If you have specific questions post those too and I will check back and try to respond, BTW, 50 year resident of Hawaii.