Tell me about Sandpoint, Idaho

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about Sandpoint, Idaho

My retirement age parents are thinking about a 3 night stay in Sandpoint in the first half of October. They'll be heading to Spokane from Seattle and have heard that Sandpoint is well worth a visit. I just had lunch in Sandpoint (at MickDuff's) this past weekend enroute from Whitefish, MT, to Seattle. To be honest, I couldn't figure out the appeal of Sandpoint...and I'm hoping that my quick pass through just kept me out of the "real gem" areas of Sandpoint.

For those of you who have been there, how does it compare to Coeur d'Alene (which my parents have been to and really enjoy)? They really enjoy driving around mountains/lake areas on scenic drives, and they also appreciate good meals (though not necessarily 5 star expensive dining).

Does Sandpoint sound like a good fit for them? Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM

I think Mark Furham retired there as he thought it was fabulous and a perfect place to raise kids.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Good to raise kids...but is it good for retirement age folks traveling through for 3 nights hoping to do some sightseeing and eating/drinking? That's the question. Based on my quick drive through, I don't think so. Hoping I'm misinformed.

Anyone else?
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the lake at Cd'A better than Sandpoint. Being closer to Spokane would be a plus for Cd'A. Sandpoint is a middle of the night stop for the Amtrak Empire Builder if that is a consideration.
Before deciding to move so far from the ocean, I would look at towns and small cities in Oregon or west of Seattle WA.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tom. They've already been to Cd'A and one of the cousins insisted that they really need to go to Sandpoint -- that's what sparked their interest in this location. If SP isn't worthy of the 3 night visit, they'll probably eliminate the extra nights from their trip and just focus on visiting family in Spokane.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Hello Beanweb

Seven years ago my wife and I decided to move out west from Minnesota. We look from Red Lodge Montana to Whitefish MT and down to Jackson Hole WY. Hands down Sandpoint Idaho had more to offer especially if you look at the band for your buck when it comes to real estate values. Sandpoint has something for all life age persons. It sets on the banks of the largest lake in Idaho with one third of the shoreline being national forest lands that will never be developed with 45 miles of shoreline. It is just 10 mile from Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort with over 2900 acres of terrane. Over half of the land in Bonner County is state or federal lands that everyone can use for hiking,biking,snowmobiling or horseback riding. Sandpoint has numerous events which in our community from Lost in the Fifties car show to the Wooden Boat Show and the Festival at Sandpoint that brings twelve days on national music artists to perform on the banks of the Pend Oreille River. Although we are still working we will retire in SP. My wife and I love Sandpoint and we both sell real estate. If your folks would like any information or would like us to give them a tour of the "Best Small Town in America" by Rand Mcnally and USA Today have them give me a call. I am an Associate Broker at Tomlinson Sothebys International Realty.
208-290-2895 I would be happy to help or answer any questions.
If you missed Aspen and you missed Vail don't miss Sandpoint Idaho...live where you play!!!
Thanks SandpointRich
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM

As I understand it, beanweb24's parents are only interested in a few days' visit, not in moving there.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM

LOL - the appeal to Sand Point is highly subjective.

Mark Fuhrman's reason for liking the area was obvious, as was that of Richard Butler.

One good thing about northern Idaho, every few thousand years a flood washes Sand Point and everything in it westward and southward through the Columbia River Gorge.