Teens in Zion NP Trip Report

Oct 27th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Teens in Zion NP Trip Report

I loaded up DD and a friend of hers for a road trip to Zion over the Utah Fall Break weekend. (note to others--do not ever plan a trip to a Utah NP the third weekend in October. The entire state is off for Fall Break and the parks are uber crowded) We drove down Wednesday night so we could get started Thursday morning and beat some crowds. We stayed at the Cable Mountain Lodge. I love this place because it is across the bridge from the Visitors Center--closest place to stay. Plus it has a nice kitchenette with a full fridge and stove top. I get the King room with the sleeper sofa and Murphy bed so everyone has their own space. Very important with teens. I would recommend that you stay in one of the units that surrounds the grass yard. We were in the back and our patio over looked the parking lot and the river. Not the best view. The other good point is there is a grocery store right next door. They have some good produce, which is nice

Food:
We got breakfast one morning from Perks, which is right next to the Lodge rental office. Good coffee, limited breakfast items but the girls were happy with bagels. They get a lot of people from the campground across the river. The next morning we got food and coffee from Deep Creek Coffee company. Large breakfast menu and very crowded. It is really good but the line was so long on Saturday, that I skipped it and got coffee in Hurricane. We packed lunches. For dinner, we ate one night at the Zion Canyon Brewing Company which is next to the hotel. I was looking for a larger menu so the kids would be sure to find something they liked. The menu is not large. The girls liked their food. I had fish tacos that were just fried halibut like you get in the frozen food section served with minimal sauce, cabbage, etc. The beer, however, is excellent. If you stick with beer and burger at this place, you will be fine. The next night we ate at Jack's Sports Grill. After hiking all day, we didn't want to walk there, so we drove. The parking is really confusing. The menu was good but the portions were ridiculously huge--and these teen girls can put away food. All of their desserts are definitely for two people. The service was good here, too.

Hiking:
Day One: We did the Kayenta trail to the Middle and Upper Emerald Pools. Always a favorite. Came back to the Grotto shuttle stop and ate our lunch. Got back on the shuttle to do the Riverside walk. This is always crowded but its fun to see the seeps and then walk back along the river. There were a ton of people doing the narrows. The water was cold--38 degrees and the canyon was in the shade so people were really chilled. No thanks, better in the summer or some other time when there isn't a giant line of people.
Day Two: We hiked the Taylor Creek Trail in the Kolob Canyon section of the park. I love this trail and park section. Much less crowded. The hike is fairly flat. The fall scenery was amazing. This is a short trail--only 2.5 miles one way--but it takes a long time. We were constantly oohing and aaahing and taking pix. We saw Canyon Tree Frogs in the stream. Looked for tracks--did see some large cat tracks. Not sure it was big enough for a cougar but seemed too big for bobcat. It takes about an hour to drive from Springdale to the hike, so this took up the better part of our day. It was cold in the mornings so we didn't leave the hotel till 9:30 each morning.

We went home on Saturday to beat the Sunday Fall Break traffic up I-15. It was a nice trip with great fall colors!
Oct 27th, 2019, 03:04 PM

Sounds like a great trip for the girls and lots of good info on eats and the school break. Thanks for the report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO