Yellowstone in Feb - just got back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from 3 nights in Jackson Hole and 6 nights in Yellowstone. LOVED it...

Went on lots of tours etc...

Trying to get unpacked etc...if you need any information - post here with questions or email me at [email protected]

Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Wow, I am anxious to hear about your trip! I would like to know where you stayed, did you drive into the park, where did you eat, what excursions did you take and did you do any snowshoeing or cross country skiing? In other words....tell me everything!!
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Here was our trip (and we did not have a car). You cannot drive in Yellowstone during the winter..except for the northeast entrance.

(as I was writing the tours below..I was putting loved it and awesome by each one...actually there isn't a tour I wouldn't have done...LOVED them all).

2 Nights Jackson Hole (stayed at Alpine House - LOVED IT)
2 Nights Old Faithful Snow Lodge
2 Nights Mammoth
2 Nights Old Faithful Snow Lodge
1 Night Jackson

Activiites:
Jackson Hole:
- Elk Refuge ($18.00 each - I did it 3 times between our 3 nights - but I am a freak for wildlife).
- Photo Tour with http://www.wyomingphotoexperience.com/
LOVED it....he knew where to find the moose. We saw about 11 all day, plus eagle and coyote and sunrise on the tetons.

In Yellowstone:
Old Faithful:
- Snowmobile the lower loop tour - 8:30 - 4:00. awesome.
- Steam, Stars and Winter Escape nighttime tour
- Winter Photo Safari Tour (the most relaxing!)
- Walked around the Old Faithful geysers ourselves...

Rented Snow Shoes...loved it!
ONly thing I would do different is I wished I would have tried to cross country ski too.

Mammoth
- Wake up to Wildlife
- Lamar valley tour
Basically these were the same tour - one in the morning and one in the afternoon --- we wanted to do it twice
- Hot Tub at night

Eating in Yellowstone you are limited to their restaurants...you can't drive around...so we ate at the Mammoth hotel and the Old Faithful Hotel.

There were parts of Yellowstone and the Tetons that were more beautiful in the winter! the only other time I have been is in the fall/September.

Pros and cons to both.

I knew once I went in September, I knew I wanted to go back (more than once)....and at least once in Winter and once for the babies (May/June). Still have the May/June trip to go!!!

Let me know if you want more details...love to share.

Old Feb 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the response. this is definitely a trip I would like to make!
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Your trip sounds fantastic. Plan to go during the baby time soon. We were there in June and the little ones were everywhere, fantastic.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM

Sounds like an amazing trip! I miss Yellowstone so much. How did your wildlife viewing in winter compare to what you saw during your Sept trip? We've only been once - it was in the fall and we saw incredible amounts of wildlife in both parks. Wondering if the wolves are more visible and active in winter. Thanks for your trip report and reply.
Sharon
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

The wolves were definatley more visable. When we were there we saw 7 wolves (not all together)...but our guide kept saying out of 117 that was a REALLY good %.

I would say to me the wildlife was not as much as in Sept...and of course you don't have the anticipation of always LOOKING and hoping to see a bear because they were hibernating.

BUT - the wolves were awesome!!! I don't think we saw any close enough to even really be able to watch them in Sept. ONly thru a scope. This time we could see them and watch them. Even saw them howling...it was really cool.

Otherwise the normal wildlife: Bison, Elk (but a lot LESS elk - as most migrate somewhere else..but still plenty of females, just not alot of males. But we saw them in Jackson Hole). We saw coyotes and eagles.

One thing we saw different were the trumpeter swans. Beautiful.

Seeing all the wildlife in the snow was great..better than in September.

I would say if you can afford it and have been before...GO GO GO in the winter.

If you can ONLY go once in your life...I wouldn't say winter only so you can drive yourself and have more time to do what you want versus being on a tour.

I am starting up my own travel agency and Yellowstone will be one of my trips I will help people plan.

Keep my email when you decide to go: [email protected]
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I was so excited to read your submissions on Fodors about your winter trip to Yellowstone.

My husband and I have never been to Yellowstone and I would love to make a January 2010 trip our first there.

I am not quite sure where to start planning. Did you arrange your trip yourself? Was it ala carte or a package?

We are not cross country skiers, but we love downhill. Would it be possible to have a trip similar to yours and to fit in downhill skiing at Jackson Hole? Or maybe we should consider trying cross country once.

Any insight you can give would be helpful. I have been reading a lot on fodors about Outfitters and Expeditions and there is a lot.

Lastly, what did you think of Old Faithful Inn and Mammoth? I see a lot of reviews on the web that are unfavorable, but they sound magical.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM

We went June 08 and really enjoyed it. We plan a 2010 winter trip during the Christmas break.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the report. Do go in June, the babies are wonderful and there are so many of them.