Search

Tavern on the Green

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:11 AM
Lois

Tavern on the Green

Have not been to NYC in about 12 years. Love to go for a weekend visit (from DC) - thinking about eating at Tavern on the Green. Do you need reservations way in advance? Is it worthwhile.

Other places we are considering are Gramercy Tavern & Union Square Cafe.

Ideas?

Also, any great accommodations on a Sat. night that are affordable?? If not in the city -- across the river in New Jersey & then take the train in? We'll be driving up from DC to NYC.

Thanks for the help.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
MyThoughts

Most decent restaurants require reservations,especially on a weekend.
Tavern on the Green is nice to look at but the food is pretty lousy.
Grammercy & Union Sq. need way in advance reservs for a Sat night.
Hotels are more expensive on weekends than weeknights-try to find a package.No point in staying in NJ for just the wkend-you will waste too much time going back and forth.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:09 AM
topper

Lois-
I topped a thread for you called
Nightmare At Tavern on the Green.
Might give you an idea of what it is like,and how happy you should be if this is YOUR worst nightmare!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:11 AM
eee

check out there food sevice violations at nysubway.com. Not too bad but you judge what you would accept.

This is a great city sponsored website for all NYC restaurant violation checks. Also there are interactive subway maps if you want to plan out any routes a head of time

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
ramjet

You know I was in NYC two years ago and went to Tavern on the Green. It was during Xmas and the place was decorated very nicely and was neat to walk through when we got there. But the food! Oh my what happened? I just thought it was a bad day for the chef or something?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:26 AM
TJ

Even walking through Tavern on the Green is tacky (kind of reminds me of how tacky the Hotel Del Coronado has gotten in San Diego).

Gramercy, Union Square and his new one (Craft) are all wonderful choices. Personal favorite of the three is Gramercy as it's unusual, but great. Craft was really good, but a little too casual for me if I'm paying that kind of money.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:28 AM
Elfie

Ramjet, unfortunately it's like that all the time. TOTG has had bad food for years, maybe it's always been that way. The only reason to go there, imo, is for the decor, and to me that's not much of a reaosn to go to any restaurant. It's always crowded, the service is not too good, food's awful, it's overpriced but the room is pretty ... all of this equals a tourist trap. I never recommend this place to visitors.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:56 AM
Merilee

Jersey City has a Candlewood Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, Doubletree Suites, Hyatt Regency and Ramada Limited...not sure about the rates for your stay, but I'm sure you can check on the internet...there's also a Sheraton Suites on the Hudson in Weehawken, which along with spectacular views of the city, offers an inclusive hot and cold buffet breakfast...another plus here is that you can take the NY Waterways Ferry into the city, which offers a free shuttle service on the city side to the most popular areas there...and finally, there's a Comfort Inn on River Road in Edgewater, NJ and in Fort Lee, NJ there's a Hilton, Holiday Inn and Best Western...if you stay in Fort Lee you can take any bus across the GWB and then use the trains and buses to get around...you can also use the ferry from Edgewater or Fort Lee...Tavern on the Green is a place to go if you can get a table in the Crystal Room and you don't expect excellent food...it's really for the experience, to say you've seen it and been there.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Mike

It's true, Lois.
Go to TOTG if you choose, but it's Disneyworld quality food and the atmosphere is getting to be rather Disneyesque as well.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:31 AM
david

I appear to be in the minority here, but I actually had a decent meal at Tavern on the Green. I live down in Battery Park and took my out of town parents there for dinner and it actually wasn't as bad as I had expected. I wouldn't go there again, but I am certainly glad that I did go. If you take it for what its worth, which is decent food and gorgeous surroundings, then I honestly don't think that you will be all that disappointed. If you are up there for a weekend, I say you go to TOG one night and then hit up a less touristy restaurant the second night.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Mike

Damned by faint praise:

"....actually wasn't as bad as I had expected".
"I wouldn't go there again".
"If you take it for what its worth....I honestly don't think that you will be all that disappointed".

Pretty funny actually.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
LUV the Big Apple

Regarding accomodations, my family visited NYC in October and got a great rate at the Waldorf ($130) through Hotwire. We loved the mid-manhatton location. For advice on bidding for this property, try Biddingfortravel.com.

Despite advice given to us regarding the Tavern on the Green we did go there for dinner. Don't.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
ramjet

OK most of us tourists tend to go to the touristry areas when we are vacationing in different cities. Regarding an upscale eatery in NYC, what are your recomendations? We are going back soon, staying in Times Square area. Where do you think Regis eats!?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Kathy Lee

Gramercy!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
suzanne

Another vote for Gramercy Tavern.

Didn't we just have a thread going on about this yesterday?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:28 AM
ddd

As a New Yorker, I need to defend TOTG. In the summer, being outside in the Courtyard is beautiful. They have music most nights, so you can go and just have a drink. I had Veal Chop last summer that was outstanding. The restaurant is slightly overpriced, but being oustide there in the summer can't be beat.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Judy

Lois,
I was in New York last weekend and had lunch at Tavern on the Green. We ate outside at the request of my 13 year old daughter. I thought the gardens and the patio were lovely. The food however, left alot to be desired. I'm glad to know it wasn't just me. I had no idea that it had such a reputation for poor food. We enjoyed ourselves anyway. Just a side note, we made sure to wear skirts, and my uncle wore a coat & tie. This, however, was not necessary as the 'dress code' was not being inforced, at least not on the patio. Have a great time!
Judy

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Me

Lois,
Just ate there last Fri.Aug.2nd at 5opm before going to see "Contact", nearby. Hotel made our reservations but it wasn't crowded then. We 4 enjoyed it, 2 of us having the pre-theater specials for $30. The food was good but the hot chocolate souffle for dessert was FANTASTIC, if you're a chocoholic!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
ILive

If you can't get Saturday dinner reservations, try for lunch instead.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:30 PM
ILive

In case my previous post is misunderstood, I meant dinner reservations at Gramercy Tavern or Union Sq Cafe. Those restaurants are very popular but there are many other good ones where you can get Sat. dinner reservations. Especially in the summer because many NYers leave for the weekend. If your are willing to eat at 5 or 9, you can probably get reservations at the really popular places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -