Tarpon Springs Rest or boat trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a good Greek restaurant? I know there are many. Also, has anyone gone out on the sponge boat tours? Any comments, suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM
bonniebroad

Do I have a suggestion for you!!! Run to Hella's. It was just fabulous when we were there a couple of weeks ago, and it is beautiful all in blue and white! We had a Greek combo platter and a Greek salad. They were huge ... my DH and I split them, and there was plenty for two people! This place was recommended to us by a lady who pilots the ferry from Honeymoon Island to Caladesi ... and she was right on!

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bonnie--will check it out.
Did you go out to Caladesi? How was it? Any problems with red tide?
Did you go on any boat tours (sponges) while in Tarpon Springs?
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM

My husband & I went on one of the sponge boat tours & it was a real ripoff...DH said the divers probably brought up the same sponges over & over again...definitely not worth the money.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I will second bonniebroad's recommendation of Hellas. It has been a couple of summers since we ate there, but the food was really good and very authentic Greek.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marcia for the tip. I had told my husband that they probably did exactly what you said--bring up the same sponge (from WalMart? over & over.
Bonnie and Betsy, do you remember the price range? Is it fancy, casual?

Thanks again
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Hella's is low to mid price range. Figure $6 or 7 for a gyro and more for other items. Be sure to go to the bakery next door.

The sponge boat tour was very cheesy, but I appreciate cheesy. For extreme cheesiness, go to Sponge-a-rama.

I like Tarpon Springs, but be aware that it is very un-Disney. It is still a working town. Last time we were there, a boat was unloading sponges, and everyone on board was speaking Greek.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Forgot to mention - see roadsideamerica.com for thier take on Sponge-a-rama.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM

I've always gone to Mikonos Restaurant. It is very reasonable and casual.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
bonniebroad

plmrod, at Hella's we had a glass of wine, a beer, a combo platter and a Greek salad, and I believe the bill was less than $30! We thought the prices were great, considering the quality, service and atmosphere. It's the kind of restaurant that you can dress in shorts or a suit, and you're just fine!

We did not go on a sponge boat tour, although I did buy a couple of "real" sponges to take home. We went to Caladesi Island and it was so beautiful, the prettiest beach and water I've ever seen, and I've been to the four major Hawaiian Islands, and much as I love Hawaii and most things about it, Caladesi is better, IMO. And the ferry ride from Honeymoon Island and back is so much fun! I can hardly wait to go back! Have a wonderful time when you go ... I'm a little jealous!

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
bonniebroad

P.S. Our friends went to Mykonos Restaurant, which TG mentioned above. They loved it, so we want to also try that one sometime ....

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow! thanks for all the advice.

#1--I, too , am a fan of cheesiness (is that a word?) if you go into it knowing it will be cheesy.

We were at Clearwater the weekend of July 2--lots of red tide--Bonnie, when were you there (at Caladesi?) I am really concerned about red tide--would hate to take the tirp out to see ht edead stinking fish--I found one website that mentioned Honeymoon Island last week with Red tide.

any updates appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:33 PM
bonniebroad

plmrod, sorry ... I forgot that you asked about Red Tide. We were at Indian Shores from June 18 through June 25. At that time, Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island had no Red Tide at all so we made special trips up there from Indian Shores two different days, because Red Tide was so bad at Indian Shores that we never stuck a toe in the water there! I don't know about now ... Let me see if I can find the site that I used to check all that out! We went on to Sanibel after Indian Shores, and it was beautiful ... no problem there!

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:53 AM
bonniebroad

plmrod, according to the chart that I checked before, when in Florida, Red Tide IS at Honeymoon Island right now. However, Caladesi State Park was not mentioned so I just now called the Park # (727–469–5918 ), and was told that Red Tide has been there since July 4th weekend, is not as bad as it was before the hurricane, but they do still have some dead fish washing up.