Tarpon springs or captiva island?help.

Mar 4th, 1999, 07:44 PM
manny

Tarpon springs or captiva island?help.

My wife, 2-year-old daughter and I are planning a 3 day trip to Disney World and 3 days near Ft. Myers or Tampa. We have been told that the Tarpon Springs area will have nice beaches, and zoos and activities for our daughter. We've also been told that Captiva Island is a beautiful area as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for R & R on white sand beaches, plus things to keep our daughter happy, too. In addition, husband would like to fish for tarpon and other game fish. Any input would be appreciated!

Mar 5th, 1999, 02:23 AM
judyj

Beaches are better south of Tarpon Springs, by far! Nice from Dunedin/Clearwater and south from there, on west coast.

Captiva is pretty (and expensive); Sanibel I. connects to it and has some of the BEST shelling in the world.

Tampa/St. Pete have LOTS of interesting places for children, although they always seem to be happiest just playing on the beach, don't they?!

Game fishing (especially for tarpon) depends on the time of year. Boca Grande is well-known for tarpon. Many deep-sea fishing boats go out from the Clearwater-St. Pete beaches areas.

Sorry so lengthy; hope it helps!

Mar 5th, 1999, 05:27 AM
susan

Wow...you're comparing apples to oranges! Tarpon Springs is an old Greek sponging village that's known primarily for good Greek food. There's no beach to speak of and no beach accommodations. The Captiva/Sanibel area is famous for beaches and shelling and is a very popular area for tourists. There's no comparison at all.

Mar 5th, 1999, 07:05 PM
Sharon

Tarpon Springs might be a mistake but you could go to Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach. With a two year old just parking on the beach with a pail would probably suit her just fine. The zoo in Tampa is really Busch Gardens which is nothing compared to the Animal Kingdom at Disney. Captiva is stunning but very expensive. I live near there and have to tell you, for little ones, I would select the beach in Clearwater or Sarasota (Siesta Key or Long Boat) because they have wide, sugar sand beaches with shallow water that is perfect for a child that age. Lots of good restaurants and after Disney, you need an antidote.

Mar 16th, 1999, 11:53 AM
rosie

Been both. Head toward Sanibel/Captiva. No comparison, by far the better choice.

Mar 16th, 1999, 01:08 PM
Karyn

I have to agree with Sharon. Clearwater or St.Pete for children, Sanibel for couples.

Search this Thread