Search

Tar in the ocean?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tar in the ocean?

A few years ago, we stayed at a small resort in Pompano Beach. There was a place to scrub off "tar" that got on your feet in the ocean...what is it and where does it come from? We liked the beach area and are considering going back there over Easter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure what that "stuff" is, but I had a similar experience at Jekyll Island, GA about 14 years ago. We were there after some particularly bad storms had passed through. I thought it might have something to do with an old oil spill or something. Needless to say, it "spoiled" my opinion of the beach there and I've never been back.

DD
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Tar balls, anywhere from an inch or two in diameter, come from oil-rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and are carried by the Gulf stream to beaches. It generally congregates on the Atlantic beaches, I don't know exactly why but it is more prevalent there than on the Gulf coasts. I don't know if I've ever seen the tar scrubs on the Gulf. Perhaps the Atlantic Ocean currents, fueled by easterlies, wash it ashore.

Although you end up with it on your feet, pity the poor sea turtles that end up with it occluding their nostrils and beaks. It kills them.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Although it's been years, I used to occasionally get tar on my feet at Holden Beach in North Carolina. We used white gas (like for a Coleman stove) to clean it off, which worked fine. I was told at the time that tar deposits naturally occur on the ocean floor -- similar to tar pits on land, I guess -- and small balls of tar make their way to beaches. I guess oil spills could contribute too, however.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM

I have been to visit my brother many times - who lives in that general area of Florida. Only once did I experience this same "tar" - was told it came from tankers/leakage/spills - but the oil rig theory sounds plausible, too.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Tgirl is correct. I've seen them on the Gulf occasionally, especially when they are renourishing (dredging the sea floor). Here's an explanation:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/law/BER/TarBalls.htm

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM

As a long time resident of the Florida panhandle, I can say I have encountered tar in the gulf many times. In fact we used to keep a container of mineral spirits and a rag on the porch of the beach house we stayed in for the purpose of removing tar from our feet. Of course it will also ruin a bathing suit if encountered while swimming. Interestingly enough, now that I am thinking about it, I can only recall the tar problem at one of the panhandle beaches I go to. I have never noticed it at any other.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Sunshinesue, which beach was that? I'm curious. We barely ever encounter tar in the St. Pete area.

Of course, if we stopped drilling for oil in the Gulf, we'd probably get rid of most of the tar. But we'd be increasing our dependence on foreign oil.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Growing up on the Texas Gulf Coast, I agree that I've had my fair share of tar on my feet and/or swimsuit. I had no idea that the Atlantic beaches have a worse problem, though.

I think that all of the explanations given above for tar in the ocean or on the beach are quite plausible, and it's worse at certain times than others.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM
GoTravel

I've lived on the beach on the southeastern coast of SC for the past 20 years and I've never seen tar.

Not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen tar.

From my understanding, it comes from the off shore oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. Not that they leak but some other reason.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I used to run into tar on the beaches in New Jersey on rare occasions. Supposedly it was from oil tankers flushing their tanks offshore. I haven't seen it in many years, so I suspect better regulations have elimiated the problem.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Some tar balls come from oil spills, and persist in the ocean for decades. A storm off the east coast of Florida, for example, may wash up tar balls that originally came from oil spilled and burned when a tanker was torpedoed off the coast by u-boats in WWII.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Tandoori Girl, Mexico Beach is where I have seen more tar than anywhere else along the eastern panhandle. Mexico Beach is located just east of Panama City. I do not know of tar being a major problem anywhere else from Aligator Point to Destin, but it seemed to be present every summer at Mexico Beach. I haven't spent much time at the beaches west of Destin so couldn't say about them.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM

The oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico is what most of you are referring to. If you recall, President Bush wanted to allow more oil rigs to be placed nearer to the Florida Gulf Coast. The fine citizens of FL and the president's brother Jeb, actually put a halt to those efforts.

*applause, applause*

I have traveled all over the Florida and Texas coasts. I have never seen tar on the Atlantic Coast (maybe once?), and seldom anywhere on the Florida Gulf Coast.

But Texas has it the worst.

My oceanography teacher at University of Houston explained the Gulf currents. Simply put, the Mississippi River empties into the Gulf of Mexico. That water, and other Gulf recirculated water, turn in a counter-clockwise motion throughout its large body.

For instance; the beaches in Galveston, where I lived for six years, have it worse than say South Padre Island. The water has been filtered slightly more the further south in Texas you travel. The deposits are left on the more-northern shores.

The water current continues its counter-clockwise flow up the FL coast, so that the Naples area will have even cleaner water/beaches than the Texas beaches had. You travel further up the Fl coast, and Clearwater will have even better beaches, then Panama City even better than that, etc.

You can certainly observe the huge difference in those beaches of the upper Gulf Coast of FL. They are spectacular! That is because the water has been filtered through the natural current motions during its normal cycles.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I live on the central coast of CA and I was just at the beach today...in Carpinteria you can see the natural asphalt seeping from the bluffs...it has nothing to do with oil rigs as it was there long before the Industrial Revolution...THe Chumash Indians use to use it to line their canoes, among other things. No worries...annoying, but not an enviornmental disaster.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:51 PM

The "tar" on Jekyll is not an oil spill. It is silt from the marshes and it gets stirred up more when a storm passes.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM

While in the Navy stationed in Bermuda back in 1972-73 I volunteered to work at the Bermuda Biological Station weighing tar balls. Work was being done by Harvard prof and I eventually saw it published in Scientific American! We all had special blankets to take to the beach - our tar blankets. I even used to take pics of the tar stains on the rocks as "art" in B&W. Bring some lighter fluid to get it off your feet.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Gimmeabreak, doh! There are no oil rigs off the coast of California. You're in tar pit country there, we aren't. We have tar balls from oil rigs and that's the scientific truth. It is natural, just as natural as oil and gas. But it's being unnaturally put into the Gulf of Mexico and then washed onto our beaches.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM

"There are no oil rigs off the coast of California." Maybe in some perfect alternate universe there aren't.

Drilling new offshore wells has been banned, but existing wells are still there and operating. The last new ones are only about 10 years old.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM

I was born in San Diego and live in West Palm Beach, FL. There is tar in both places. How can you say there are no oil rigs of California coast? Who doesn't remember the Exxon Valdeese? Lestoil can help if it gets on your suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -