Tangier Island

Apr 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Tangier Island

I am interested in taking my family (myself, husband and 3 elementary age boys) to Tangier Island in the summer. Any one have any input. I don't know much about the area. Thanks!
Apr 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Go here for some information http://www.tangierisland-va.com/ . Haven't been there in decades, though I spent a few youthful summers on Smith Island, MD, a few miles north.

Looks like the main ferry runs out of Crisfield, MD. However, there's a seasonal one that runs from Onancock(sp) VA beginning in May. Both are Eastern Shore locations.

Quaint probably best describes the island(s.) Primary industry is the pursuit of crabs in the warm months, and oysters (and clams) in the cold season. It's a tough way to make a living. There is some little tourist business nowadays, but I doubt it's a major factor in the island's lifestyle.

It'll be an interesting visit. And probably be best done as a day-trip with the boys.
Apr 15th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Ferries to Tangier run from Crisfield, MD and Reedyville, VA. They depart from Tangier at 4:30 PM; most tourists return at that time. For a B&B, I've read recommendations for Hilda Crockett's Chesapeake House B&B (804) 891-2331.
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I've been on Tangier Island twice. The ferrys are not car ferrys, but passenger only. It's been about 10 yr since my last visit, so keep that in mind when considering my advice.

There was also a "mail boat" that left the dock in Crisfeld ("Crab Capital of the World"). The boat that left Reedsville WAS a "cruise" type operation -- cruise to TangierIs for lunch & visit, return same day type of operation, but they did take passengers too.

Tangier Island is a relatively quiet almost sleepy village isolated well enough that you still detect the remains of an Elizabethian dialect. Maybe I'm just to "itchy", but while it was great to visit for a day, I think I'd go crazy/bored with any more than 2 days there.

The last time I visited, we were riding bicycles (bound for Pocomoke City MD) & intended to catch the cruise boat from Reedsville -- we pulled into their lot as the boat pulled out. We rode to a nearby marina on a beautiful Saturday morning in hopes that we could hitch a ride to the island, or pay a reasonable fee, with someone going there. After failing at that attempt, we talked to the operator of the marina, who called the nearby "fish factory", and found a fishing boat that had just sold its cargo & was returning to the Island. The boat owner came over to the marina & picked us up. Fare? "Whatever you think it's worth" - we paid him the same as the cruise boat would have been. We got a much more personalized narration about the island & its people from Capt. Pruitt than we ever would have on the cruise boat. Capt. Pruitt also tried to make arrangements for us to get from Tangier Is to Crisfeld, but we told him we'd be taking the mailboat. Before anyone reading this tries calling Capt Pruitt, I'll advise that I think there's only about 5 surnames on the island, LOTS of Pruitts & Crocketts -- I don't remember OUR Capt Pruitt's first name. Anyway, our experience is indicative of the friendliness & hospitality you'll find on the island.
Apr 16th, 2004, 04:25 AM

I am planning a trip to this area in May. Not sure yet if we're going to visit Tangier or Smith Island. I highly recommend you take a look at "Daytrips in Delmarva" by Alan Fisher as a guide to the area. He gives detailed maps and walking tours as well as historical background.
May 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

My husband and I went to Tangier Island about 8 years ago for a three day weekend. The first day I was just in awe of the people, the isolation and didn't think I was going to be able to take three days of it.

I must admit the quiet settled in nicely however and I ended up really enjoying those three days of peace. No traffic as only golf carts and bikes are ridden.

The mile or so stretch of sand was all ours as we meandered down the beach. I'm sure your kids will feel the same way on the first day. I think it really takes more than an afternoon however to get to know how these people come to love the place they call home.

Enjoy the journey...
Colleen
May 6th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Tangier also has a small airstip, which makes it a little more "worldly" than Smith Island. Rumour has it that Jimmy Buffett flies in there to get crabs. They also have their own high school, which Smith doesn't.

I read recently that both Smith Island (where I spent a lot of time in the 80's) and Tangier were pretty badly hit during the storm surges in Hurricane Isabel in September 2003.

The flies, mosquitos and no see'ums are pretty horrific during the summer. They are biting flied. Yowwww!
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:14 PM

Just wanted to clarify - it's Reedville, not Reedyville or Reedsville (in case you're searching the internet for ferry schedules and info!)

Reedville's kind of an interesting place. Wonderful crab sold there in stores - comes from Smith Island, I think - or maybe it's Tangier (I forget)!
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM

If anyone's interested, the crab place is Little River Seadfood, Reedville.
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM

There are three ferries that go to Tangier Island, as well as the mailboat. They run out of Onancock, Reedville and Crisfield. There is also a marina and airport, so you can boat or fly in. I am one of the new owners of a B & B on the island and just wanted to make sure everyone knows how to get there! If someone wants more info, you can e-mail me at [email protected]