Drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from LV to GC the first week in June, and I have read that it is better to enter the south rim from the east. Obviously entering from the south is a shorter drive, but is the scenery and reduced traffic worth the extra drive time to enter from the east?
Thanks!!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM

It depends on your itinerary. Entering from the east means a huge detour - it makes sense if you are willing to spend two or three days for the drive and do some sightseeing on the way.

There is nothing wrong with driving from LV to GC the direct way. I did not notice particularly heavy traffic, but I have to admit, the drive is not scenic (but Grand Canyon IS!!!).
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM

The most direct route from LV to the South Rim, as you can see, is to go north from Williams, AZ, to Grand Canyon's South Rim Village. The Williams route is mostly high and dry range land covered with sage brush and junipers until you enter a Ponderosa pine forest at you near the South Rim.

Otherwise, you can proceed on I-40 to Flagstaff where you pick up 89 which takes you north across the Navajo Reservation to Cameron, where you pick up 64 and head west into the park's eastern entrance. This area is red rock country with sparse vegetation, few people, and visibility that extends for many miles. You encounted the Grand Canyon of the Little Colorado, a mile-deep and straight down narrow slot -- very impressive. Then as you enter the park, you come to Desert View, the first grand vista overlooking the merging of the Little Colorado and the main channel of the Colorado River itself. Which way would you prefer? It's up to you. I would estimate the eastern entrance method might be about 150 miles farther, almost no traffic, and a glimpse of the Navajo/Hopi land clear across to the Painted Desert to the east. In any case, you will be within sight of the snow-capped San Francisco Peaks, 12,600 ft. elevation and the highest point in AZ. The first week in June should be ideal. From Kingman to Flagstaff you will be at about 7,000 ft.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure I understand the reduced traffic. You will hit some in Flagstaff.

I'd go in the short way from Williams and then if you decide you have the time..take the drive from the Grand Canyon village to Desert View and stop along the way at the overlooks. Drive out of the park down to the Little Colorado Overlook. Exiting the park at Desert View you get better vista views of the Painted Desert than you would entering the park on this route.

Utahtea
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will do as utahtea suggests.