Talk to me if you've spent the night in the Phantom Ranch dorms

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 5 is hiking down the South Kaibab, spending one night in the dowms and hiking up the Bright Angel. Yes, we pre-ordered our food. I'm worried about the dorms. We will be there in March. Will we stay warm enough with the bedding that is provided? I'm also concerned about the bathroom situation - what if the first one up wants to take a 20 minute shower while the rest of the dorm needs to pee?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I've not stayed there but:
- dorms are heated - if you're worried about being cold get a top bunk, wear some clothes to bed or pack a light blanket. With the weight you're saving by not packing camping gear and food you should be able to easily fit a blanket.
- pretty sure the shower is separate from restroom. If not, there are other restrooms nearby.
- not much point in taking a shower in the morning right before setting out on the hike up. Most people clean up in the afternoon/evening of their arrival and just hike out sans shower.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM

the showers are a separate building from the dorms. obviously a male/female shower which are separate. In each dorm, there is a little bathroom - tiny little toilet and sink. Honestly? Only really good for middle of the need requirements. Otherwise, it is much easier to use the shower houses.

Take a deck of cards - you may need it at night to kill time before you are ready to go to bed.

I agree with the recommendation not to shower in the am - I showered in the afternoon and it felt good to get the grime of going down off me. The next morning, we had to be at it early, so I didn't bother. Towels are provided down there.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

We're back from our stay, so I'll answer my own question for future reference of others. Each bunkhouse has a tiny room with a toilet, a separate room with one shower, and a single sink and mirror that is in the big room. We showered as soon as we got in the bunkhouse. In the morning, we all got up and walked around and got ready using flashlights. I don't think anyone showered. It was March 17th - it had been 90 degrees that day and we were hot rather than cold.

I was a bit creeped out by the experience....no one introduced themselves and everyone whispered because there was always someone sleeping. Those people above me and to my sides could have been anyone and so could I have. Odd to have a sense of strangers sleeping all around you.

The lights were out by 8 pm. I slept until midnight and tried to just lie still until 4:15, at which time I got ready for the day.

Also, the lady at checkin said that the shower houses were only for the people in the cabins.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Our family stayed 2 nights at Phantom Ranch on our NR 2 SR hike. We d/n experience any of your problems. The showers are in your dorms. There are other public facilities near the dining hall. You will be provided bed linens to keep you warm.
I've seen these question before. You'll be ok and enjoy your hike!! Take Plenty of water and electrolytes. We ordered a morning to go snack and set out at 5:30a for the top. There was a family that ate at the 1st sitting and their boys still passed us at Indian Gardens. We did the climb in 6hrs. Take your time and enjoy. Keep us posted!!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Missypie - that just does not sound like fun - at all.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

MomDDTRavel, it beat camping/carrying tents and sleeping bags. None of my female friends thought our GC adventure sounded fun (lots of guys did). I said that during these tough economic times we were doing our part by taking a vacation that no one envies.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:42 AM

Missypie LOL!!! Did you do a trip report???
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see your query before you went on your trip.

Congratulations on accomplishing your hike! I am astonished to read that it was 90 degrees in March. I personally love hiking in the canyon, especially the South Kaibab Trail with the most amazing views every single second of the day.

Regarding the dorms... I have spent many nights in various hiking dorms, and I have found the secret to a good night's sleep is to meet your bunkmates before you go to sleep. Other people seem to be shy about this so I make it a point to introduce myself by saying at least my first name and then one other thing like the state I am from. It breaks the ice, and the next thing I know other people are introducing themselves to me and to each other and then someone finds they are from the same state as someone else and a conversation ensues, etc etc. In the situation you describe where the women were exhausted after their hiking day and went to sleep at 8 p.m., it's definitely more difficult to create a sense of camaraderie in the dorm. Even so, every single person there went to a lot of trouble to be there so it's definitely a select group of women in the female dorms at Phantom Ranch!

For future reference, it is possible to get a camp site as a walk-in at the Backcountry Office at the south rim (permits can also be applied for via fax five months prior to the month in which one wants to camp). It is also possible to send down your camping gear via mule duffel so that it is waiting for you at Phantom Ranch. That way, you can hike with a very light pack and you can spend two nights at the bottom of the canyon (the maximum stay at any one campground below the rim) and enjoy the day at Phantom Ranch and then, before hiking back up, send your camping gear up via mule duffel. I personally have stayed in the hiker cabins, in the dorms and in the campground and every time I have gone, the experience has been dramatically different than all the times before. But as far as I am concerned, any day in the Grand Canyon is the best day of my life.

Jane from Connecticut
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:19 AM

I thought the dorms were fine. Hey, I thought it was excellent that they went to the trouble of building dorms and cabins at the bottom of the canyon!!! I did take a shower the night before and the morning of with no problems--just the way I am most comfortable. It is very warm at the bottom, even in March.

I found that most people are so tired and even a little freaked out about what is to come the next day going up that people just aren't very social. We did the 2nd breakfast so I just had ear plugs to help me sleep through the 1st breakfast wake up call.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Jane, no matter how easy it is to get a camping permit and no matter whether you can send gear up through the mule duffel, camping requires camping. We aren't really a camping family. I just don't get camping. I'm sure lots of people have a great time doing it, but it always sounds terrible to me. Plus, our 16 year old daughter would have done anything to avoid the trip had we been camping. She's an indoor girl.