Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tale of Two Siblings in Kauai...how did we end up in Honolulu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must know that DH & I cherish each week we have spent in Kauai. It is such a short time on this magical island and we love having it to ourselves. We have it down of what we do when we are there so when my brother announced he wanted to go with us my first reaction was that I didn't want to share "my" island. I'm the oldest, by 3 years, and I've always had a problem sharing! Also, we are complete opposites...as polar as you can get. I like structure and schedules...he is laid back and goes with the flow. I don't drink and I don't care about nightlife...he likes to drink and is a night owl. See where I'm going with this...so here is how I survived a week in Kauai with my polar opposite younger brother...

We: myself, DH, my brother, and my brother's fiancee (whom I will call K so I don't have to repeat 'brother's fiancee' throughout the report). As you all know I am obsessed with Kauai...this made trip number 5 for DH & I! This was my brother and K's first trip to Hawaii. We were there to show off "our" island and to celebrate DH & K's bday which is May 31. You read that right...DH & K have the same birthday...DH turned 32 and K turned 27!

Day 1: Saturday May 25...Journey to Paradise

When scouring for airline tickets we kept checking daily for the price to drop. The tickets were holding right above $1000 so one morning the price dropped to $883, on United, but would leave at 6am. We figured we could make up the sleep on the plane...oh, what a fateful decision that turned out to be...more to come.

We arrive at the airport, get through security, and no more than 10 minutes of being at the gate there is an announcement. Our departure time will be delayed because of a mechanical issue...hydraulic leak. We are working on it and will hope to be leaving soon. Our plane was taking us to SFO with a 1 hour layover before our flight to Lihue. I decided to take charge and got in line to talk to the gate agent with only one person in front of me. A guy at the counter was also talking about his connection to Maui. We were starting this trip off on the wrong foot. When it came to my turn the gate agent began look at alternate flights for us because if we missed our flight in SFO then we would have no way to get to Kauai that day. She found a flight that was leaving in a couple of hours from AUS to LAX then on to Lihue, arriving at 4:55 which put us losing 5 hours of the day from our original arrival. I asked everyone so they said we couldn't risk so go ahead. We are still getting to Kauai and that's all that matters. While in the midst of switching our flight, the plane is fixed and they are going to board...NOW! We tell her that we want to stay on this flight. She makes a quick call, the luggage is boarded on this flight and we are good to go to stay. We are leaving 30 minutes later than scheduled and I'm hoping we can make our connection!

We arrive in SFO hoping to grab food for the plane but we find our gate and it is boarding. We get on the plane, wait to back off from the gate so we can take off. An announcement is made...a light is illuminated that shouldn't be for the emergency door because the emergency door is fine...we have to get this checked out so we will let you know more soon. Are you seeing the pattern emerging? We couldn't believe this...two planes in a row! After about 20 minutes we are told that we have to deplane but to stay close to the gate because if it gets fixed we are back on and on our way. We get off the plane, upset but thinking we have time to get food. My brother and K go off to get food while DH & I hang at the gate. When they returned we went off for food but the moment I arrived to get food my brother called and said we are boarding again! Back on our way but w/o food...it will be a long flight. Got the snack pack and board and watched my Kindle. Five and half hours later I, er we, were landing on Kauai!!!! I see that red dirt...I'm back...finally!!!!!

My brother & K had checked luggage but DH & I have mastered the carry on. We had to wait for their luggage then shuttled over to the rental car. I had the car in my name so I waited in the longest line I have ever waited in while everyone else sat outside with the luggage. I waited 30 minutes at Dollar. I normally use Budget but even when trying to book in January, Budget was out of convertibles. The sales clerk I got was a jerk. I heard him talking to someone else trying to get them to upgrade the car, get gas there, major sales pitch, etc. I always decline that so I was hoping not to get him so what happens...I do get him! It was just his attitude about the whole thing...he came across as thinking I was the clueless tourist. Telling me that I need to get the insurance because the top of the convertible could get slashed, windows broken, I've seen a car get smashed leaving the airport. I finally told him that I've been here five times and I know how it works. Also, I added DH as a second driver, which is free at Budget, and it added $96 to the total. I told him to take it off and that over at Budget it is free. He said it may be free in California and some other state but not here in Hawaii. I told him it is free in Hawaii and I just did it this past September. I was not trying to be haughty with my "five times" comment and I keep karma in mind. I always hope that nothing happens during our week because I do decline the insurance. I felt that he was trying to scare/bully me into and I didn't like his tactic. He was not helpful at all and I will never use Dollar again. It was a Dollar/Thrifty office.

We finally get our car...I was exhausted from the flight issues and getting this car! The island is ours for a week! We headed to Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo...a tradition of ours. The windows were open...gingham curtains blowing in the breeze and rain was falling. It felt so good to finally be there! My brother and K loved the Brick Oven. From there we made our stop at the Wal-Mart for a few things then onto the Sealodge.

Finally after a long day journey we made it to the North Shore!

Coming up...hiking the NaPali coast and the best lemonade we've ever had!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM

louistraveler!! You're back! So excited to read about your trip to your other "home". I'm sorry to hear about those flights...that is a bummer but at least you made it on the same day. I'm always worried about connecting flights. And that Dollar agent...ugh, so annoying. I've not had good experience with Thrifty either...never rented from Dollar though. But, you have convinced me to try Brick Oven Pizza when I go to Kauai. I don't really eat pizza in Hawaii - since I am from NYC and we are picky with our pizza and I figure I would eat stuff I can't get back home. But you make pizza in paradise sound delicious.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 07:09 PM

Tufa, Kal loves Brick Oven Pizza; we were very disappointed. But, it's not expensive so you may as well try it yourself!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 01:47 AM

The pizza at Hanalei Pizza beats Brick Oven hands down.

Looking forward to the rest of your report. We leave in seven days!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

We love Hanalei Pizza too! We had it for the first time last September. I love how the dough is made with healthy ingredients.

Day 2...coming soon!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Great report, looking forward to the rest of it. Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Kal

Waiting for mo' LT5!

Love Hanalei Pizza too but too far to drive.
But you do have to keep an eye on the people who work there with the "short term memory loss".

As for Da Brick, we always order whole wheat, well done and drench the crust in garlic butter.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM

"But you do have to keep an eye on the people who work there with the "short term memory loss"

The whole town of Hanalei seems that way sometimes!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Day 2: Sunday May 26...In which we tackle the hike!

DH & I attempted the hike...along the Na Pali Coast to Hanakapiai Beach back in 2007 during our first trip to Kauai. I remember we didn't prepare...no snacks and not too much water. We didn't know what we were getting into and we ended up turning around before the beach. I've always wanted to try the hike again and this trip we planned to do it. We carved out a day for this hike and today was it.

Awaking at 6am...11am at home...I sat by the window gazing out at the vast Pacific feeling grateful that I was there for a moment in time. I like to be the first one up and sit with the view and my thoughts. Everyone was stirring and it was time for breakfast...which consisted of eggs, bacon, and cinnamon rolls. My brother made our eggs & bacon every morning. Another opposite we share...he is good in the kitchen...I am not.

After breakfast and lounging, we decide to get ready to head out for the hike. DH & I came prepared...we brought backpacks! We made sandwiches, had snacks, and plenty of water. We made our obligatory stop at the Chevron for ice (for the ice chest when we were back from the hike) and my brother went into the Foodland to look for a backpack. He found one...a black vinyl with turtles on it, surprisingly only $12. K had also brought a backpack so we were all set. Now to the end of the road...

We arrive at Ke'e Beach to a swarm of cars! I knew what to expect...it was around 10am on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. I know it is like this not on a Sunday not on Memorial Day weekend! We followed suit and parked along the side of the road. We got our backpacks on and walked to the trailhead. Our plan, before the trip, was to hike to Hanakapiai Falls. When starting the hike we all agreed to see how we felt and what time it was when we reached the beach before deciding to go forth onto the falls.

We are doing this...we are on the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapiai Beach! I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said about the views: amazing, awestruck, beautiful, gorgeous, unbelievable! I thought the hike was harder than this...I do mean only the first 2 miles. 2007 has been awhile but I really thought this hike was harder back then. I think what may have helped with tackling this hike again was that I was mentally prepared. I knew what I was going into, we had backpacks filled with water and snacks. I really wanted to accomplish it. There were a few uphills that I needed to take a short break...slow my heart rate and drink some water. There was one part that kept snaking up, up, and up and I was thinking okay, I need a moment. Other than that, I felt good! I loved the hike and it is one of my favorite things about this trip. I want to do it again! Seeing the beach was breathtaking! It was beautiful! We wind down the trail and after some boulder hopping...we made it! We made it to Hanakapiai Beach! I did it! We found some rocks to sit on and ate our lunch. We got our feet in the water; walked along the beach; just enjoyed every moment of being there. Also, to our right, when facing the ocean, we walked to that end of the beach to find a cave. You could walk in one entrance and out the other. It was a quick upside down horseshoe shape but it was cool and fun! It was during the 1 o'clock hour so we decided to forgo the falls. We felt that we could make the next two miles to the falls but the four coming back instead of two back might be rough on us. We decided to head back and swim at Ke'e. We all agreed that was the perfect decision. We headed back to Ke'e and I was feeling good that I made it to the beach! Along the way we took more pictures and we were all looking forward to diving into the water at Ke'e. From the views, along the hike, Ke'e looked so inviting. The turquiose waters sparkling in the sun! Oh, that's another thing to add...the weather was perfect! It was the perfect day for the hike. It was dry, bright, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. It worked out so well!

We made it down...we did it! We completed the two miles to the beach and back! Awaiting us was a free spirited couple selling homemade lemonade and popsicles out the back of an suv. They had strawberry and blackberry lemonade. It was the best lemonade we've ever had!!! We downed our lemonade...plopped our stuff in the sand...and dove into the perfectly turquoise crystal clear waters! We swam and floated in this perfect lagoon feeling good that we conquered, if only part, the Kalalau Trail!

On our next trip, I want to arrive a couple of hours earlier and make it to the falls.

That night we ate Bubba's for dinner; watched a movie then slept to the sound of the waves.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Kal

BRAVO...BRAVO

Congrats. I was gald when you said the ice chest was for the way back and you weren't going to lug it up there with you. lol

There were a few times when we didn't have time to hike to the beach so we went as far as "Oh my God Turn". That's the area after about 30 mins into the hike of a LOT up uphill, you get your first full glimpse of the NaPali.
We'd sit there and offer to take people's pix....right after they's stop and say "Oh my God"....

I sat by the window gazing out at the vast Pacific feeling grateful that I was there for a moment in time.
Could not have said it any better.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Kal

wekewoody: The whole town of Hanalei seems that way sometimes!

LOL...mostly the "Trustafarians".
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Wow, I would love to do that hike! It sounds amazing! Was it really difficult? I don't mind hiking uphill honestly, it's the downhill that i am scared. I think I am always scared of slipping and falling and if it's muddy, forget it! - do you recommend getting some special hiking shoes or are sneakers ok? How many miles is it to the beach?

What a fabulous first day! Looking forward to more.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

tifa: Thanks for the comments and I'm so glad your reading and loving my report!

Thanks, as well, to everyone else!

tifa:
My memory from 2007 pegged this hike as difficult but this successful attempt has me feeling different. We were prepared for this hike. It is 2 miles to the beach so 4 roundtrip. It rotates from uphill, downhill, leveled out. As for the downhill...the 2 miles to the beach has a wide trail and I never felt any danger/fear of falling down the side. I know going on to the falls is more inland and jungle so there would be no cliffs to fall from. I have read that past the falls there are parts that can be cliff hugging. Anyone gone past the falls to report on this?

I have read many warnings that if it has been raining on the North Shore to wait for a few dry days before attempting the hike. The day we hiked it was a perfect dry day. There were not long stretches of hiking in mud but there were a few mud puddles. Also, when down at the beach there is a stream filled with boulders that you have to cross but we boulder hopped off to the right and did not have to get our feet in the water.

We all wore athletic shoes...I wore a pair of Nikes. I did think about hiking boots but went with my Nikes.

Day 3: Monday May 27...In which we shop, shrimp, and bike!

Awake to our morning routine where I'm first up then breakfast to follow. While eating our breakfast, rotating between ocean and Bali Hai views, we said so this is what it's like to win the lottery! Don't have to go to work, eat leisure breakfasts, lounge around, and decide what's in store for the day!

We decide to head to Kapa'a to shop, eat at the Shrimp Station then bike along the path. Opposite alert: my brother likes to shop and I don't but this is their first trip and DH & I have been many times and will continue to return so we took one for the team. If DH & I are on Kauai then you can bet we are bummin' it on a North Shore beach!

We head into Kapa'a, park along the street, and start going in and out of shops. I've just never been shopper; I keep things in good condition and keep them for a long time. My brother takes after our mom and likes to update things more often and likes the newest gadget. New things pique their interest. I'm not like that and my money goes towards multiple trips to Kauai! We are in and out of shops until we reach the Shrimp Station. You must know my mom's side of the family is from Louisiana and my mom's parents and her siblings moved to southeast Texas when she was a little girl. They/we (my brother & I are part) Cajun. We like our seafood (my brother more so than I but I like it too). We had to eat some shrimp...I got the fried, they were jumbo, and my brother got the garlic that he had to peel. We sent pictures via text to mom and made her green with envy! The Shrimp Station was a success!

After we were full on shrimp it was time to bike it off. We headed to Coconut Coasters for bikes. We got on our beach cruiser bikes and off on the path we go! My brother and K had fun on the bikes and you as you know from my 2011 report I'm in love with beach cruiser bikes so DH & I had fun repeating one of our favorite activities. I love this path, the breeze, the smell of salt water. At the end of the path you can take a little red dirt path down to a vast bluff overlooking the ocean. Rocks littering the red dirt overlooking the ocean and a secret cove it looks as if you are walking on Mars. My brother climbed down some rocks and took some poses to send to mom as if he were going to dive into the ocean! Made her nervous and Mom said she was going to kick his butt when we got home! We got back on the path so we could return the bikes and head back to Hanalei. DH & I had Hanalei Pizza for dinner and my brother & K had Chicken in a Barrel.

Back at the condo for a movie and to fall asleep to the ocean.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Kal

Chicken in a Barrellllllllllllllllll

I hope they complete the bike path in my lifetime.
We were so happy they opened a Shrimp Station in Kapaa but never went this past trip! Go figger'.

I've never worn hiking boots on any Kauai hikes. Chacos with the big lug soles or Keens with the big treads.
We hiked it once about a day after a rain and picture Michael Douglas/Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone. weeeeeeee.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Can't wait to try Chicken in a Barrel in Hanalei! 5 more days!

We hiked up to the Hanakapiai Falls. It is a longer hike than it appears as there is a fair amount of scrambling over the rocks as the "trail" crossess the creek a couple of times. It is pretty easy to loose the trail in a few places. My husband slipped and fell off the trail and sprained his wrist. The falls are a worthy payoff, but the trail is a bit of a mess. I'd rather hike the Pihea Trail around the top of Kalalau Valley and head up to the Alakai Swamp area.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

wekewoody: 4 days for you = for me! Do you go every June? How long have you been returning?

Day 4: Tuesday May 28...Beach bums for a day!

We've been hiking and biking so now it's time to plop our bums on a beach. DH & I had to return and show off Lumahai so after our breakfast routine off we went.

We technically were to the east of Lumahai at Kahalahala:
http://www.kauaibeachscoop.com/north...la-beach#scoop!
If you scroll down to the beach video, that still is what the beach looked like that day. The tide was very low and it was like a shallow swimming pool! When we first arrived there were some clouds but after a quick rain shower the clouds went away. When the clouds are away the water just sparkles! Also, in that still, on the far right there is sand curving into the rock well water was spilling over from waves coming in and that area formed a little pool of water that you could sit in. It was a perfect low tide day for swimming! It was a blissful beach bum day! My brother and K loved the beach. K loves to swim so she had a lot of fun. My brother was surprised about how few people were on the beach so DH & I told him that's not hard to find on the north shore.

Some more clouds start to roll in and we've had plenty of sun so we decide to call it a day. We are grilling tonight so we need to get a few things and K wanted to check out the Juice Bar at the Big Save grocery parking lot so we head into Hanalei. K buys the most fragrant pineapple we've ever smelled at the Juice Bar! We get steaks, potatoes, and corn to grill at the Big Save. Back at the condo, my brother & K hiked down to Sealodge beach and DH & I relaxed on a bench on the bluff. My brother & K are back...time to grill! There is picnic table and grill station at the Sealodge. My brother put some shrimp and steaks on the grill. We were having such a nice time, when we realize that K & I are getting eaten up by mosquitoes! DH runs up to the condo to get the Off. We spray ourselves but with other gnats flying around we all decide to take the food in to eat. We head back into the condo to eat my brother's deliciously grilled food...told you he was a good cook! Our family joke is that I'm the first pancake...you know the first one always gets burned... and he got all the talent!

Relaxing at the condo...the sun sets on another day in paradise!
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 02:52 PM

"first pancake" I like that! Wonderful report! Which place did you pick at SeaLodge?
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Hi Lou,
We usually go in either July or August. This is our first time in June. We started going in 2002 and went every year until 2007. Then there was a 5 year drought (why???) until last August at which time, we rebooked for this June. Five years away from Hanalei is CRAZY in my book and we'll never let that happen again.

Carry on!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

lookin_glass: We stayed in the D7. I actually found out when we returned home that they will not be taking reservations after August because it is being sold. I am hoping it will be available for rent again with the new owners. When it's just DH & I we like the B10.

wekewoody: We went through a drought too! Our first time to Kauai was May 2007 then we found a great flight deal and went back, for a shorter stay, in August 2007. We decided to go every two years so we planned for October 2009 but DH got laid off one month before the trip! We decided to cancel and finally made it back in May 2011. We were away four years! We said the exact same thing...it will never happen again! Since the May 2011 trip, we went in Sept 2012 and this trip I'm reporting on, May 2013. We are planning to return next year, most likely Sept. We are making up for those lost years...4 years away = 4 years in a row! Hey, I just realized...May (11), Sept (12), May (13), so I must go next Sept (14) to keep my pattern!
Where do you stay...Hanalei, Princeville?

Day 5...coming soon!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Day 5: Wednesday May 29...

Before the trip my brother was planning to carve out one day, with a separate car rental, for him & K. They could explore the island at their own pace, stop at shops and DH & I could enjoy a beach day to ourselves.

We are doing our morning routine of breakfast and lounging and all the while I'm thinking that DH can take my brother & K to the Princeville Airport to get there car. Well after a bit my brother says something about Lihue. I say, your car is at the Lihue Airport? He says he thought I knew so I spring up to get ready. Off we go to get their car...

We head to Lihue and drop off my brother & K then we take off with plans to head to a north shore beach. We have the island to ourselves! We get back to the condo to get beach ready; get a few things at Foodland then search for a beach to plop on for the day. But we realize that the clouds are not moving out, they are settled in for the day along with a haze. We decide to head east where we came from and where the sun was last seen. I figured we could head to Moloa'a but I didn't have the blue book with me and we couldn't, for the life of us, find this beach. We've been to it but just couldn't remember how to get there. Back north to sit on a cloudy beach....

I check in with my brother & K, who are on the south shore, with sunny skies...not fair! They are doing some shopping with plans to head east to the Coconut Marketplace. They said we could meet up at Brennecke's for boogie boarding but it was 3:00 and we were up north. That's our plan for tomorrow since we are returning the car in Lihue. There was nothing we could do...we were stuck with the clouds and haze. At least it was only 1 day of a weeks stay.

My brother & K make it back to the condo around dinner time so we all head to Hanalei. On Sunday when we ate at Bubba's, my brother had chili fries and they smelled so good. Tonight, I wanted chili fries so we ate at Bubba's. My brother & K had planned to look for something else to eat but settled on Bubba's as well. One thing that I hadn't mentioned is that K is on gluten free diet. She has an allergy so she didn't choose it but she feels so much better. The first night at Bubba's she ate the lettuce wrap burger. It works out that Bubba's serves grass fed beef because she can't eat other beef. Well, this night she couldn't find anything to eat so while sitting at Bubba's I notice a sign below the menu that says, Kauai Organic Salad. K got that salad, I don't eat salad, and this salad looked delicious!!

Looking back, after the trip, I would have done this day differently. I mentioned from the post about Monday that I'm not much into shopping in which I stated that I took one for the team with the Kapa'a shopping. Our Wednesday beach day did not work out because of the clouds. It would have worked out better to do one big shopping day...Kapa'a, Coconut Marketplace, Koloa, with my brother and to not get the extra rental car. We could have done Brennecke's on Wednesday since the south was sunny and then an extra north shore beach day on Thursday.

Back at the condo...holding on to every moment because the trip is winding down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -