Taking kids out of school for vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our two youngs sons (ages 5 and 7) to Europe this May. They will miss 8 days of school. (No advice on this point: the tickets are already purchased. Going in May was the ONLY time we could go - and afford to go - using our frequent flier miles.) Here's my question: for those of you who have pulled your children out of school for long trips or for teachers with this experience, are there any specific activities (besides the actual experience itself) that would help them continue their studies (e.g. math, reading, etc.) AND that might mollify their school's concern about them being out of the classroom for so long? Whew. Sorry for such a long sentence. Maybe I should go back to school. Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Oops...meant to post this in the Lounge forum. You can answer if you want...otherwise, ignore!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Nothing you do is really going to change the educator's thoughts on the absence. At that early elementary age they really won't miss much but the end of the year activities, though. The argument will be that you are teaching your kids that education isn't a priority.

I would ask the teachers far enough in advance what THEY would like for your children to do to make up for the lost classroom work. Often they have them keep a daily journal to practice their writing. They can keep track of ticket prices, or meal prices and do the addition, too.

Buy them a special book to do this as part of their souveniers.

Obviously, with a little thought on your part you can make this far more educational than a week at school, but it will depend on your enthusiasm.

A week in Europe isn't a week on the beach or at Disney, either. I wouldn't be overly penitent about this if you handle it fairly.

Final thought: I know parents that don't bother to clue in the teacher for preplanned absences, or tell the student to just say they are out sick. That does the teacher a disservice, and it teaches the student some bad principals about education and honesty.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM

priniciPLES, not princiPALS. Geesh. I guess I need to study more for that bee.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM

We did this numerous times when our son was young. We ALWAYS talked w/ each teacher, asked for special assignments, and treated them w/ utmost respect, even if they didn't agree w/ our decision. Many times w/ carried books along. As he got older, most teachers requested the daily journal, w/ special emphasis on certain things... destination Hawaii... science teacher wanted notes on erosion, volcanos, waterfalls, etc...

This is a wonderful opportunity for you to make memories that will last forever for both you and your children. Good for you.

Have a great time!!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM

As a teacher, I refuse (as per district policy) to prepare work ahead of time for children who will be on vacation for 8 days. I don't feel like I should have to spend the extra time getting activities prepared and I am glad that my district backs me up. Most of the time, the packets are not completed any way! Also, when children are so young, it is not always possible to accuratley predict where you will be in 8 days.

Beentheretwice: In May, there is a lot of instruction going on. There is still a month to six weeks of school left! A week and a half in school, especcially in the lower grades, cannot be made up by a trip.

NThea: Please don't complain to the teachers if their final report card is not what you expected; it is not the teacher's fault that your child missed 8 days of instruction. At such young ages, they could miss critical instruction that could impact their grades and progress.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM

When we had to travel to a funeral when my boys were about that age the teachers gave my sons special assignments that were geared to where we were going to be traveling.

I've had many teachers comment on the value of traveling with children and how it helps them learn.

Utahtea

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM

This is on a side note, but just remember when your children return from Europe, just like the adults they will be tired and jet-lagged. Granted, the jet lag is more difficult when you head east versus coming back, it will still impact their ability to pay attention and they will already feel completely out of the loop after missing so much school. Like the teacher who posted said, their 6 week or 9 week grades could go down because of the time missed. With that being said, hopefully your boys' teachers will be understanding to your trip because it is truly an educational once in a lifetime experience.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I think that whether or not the teachers are willing/able to to give guidance about what the kids would be learning in that week and a half, I think that with a little creativity, you can keep them on track. Fortunately the kids are little, so what they are learning in school are things that most of us know - not like you have a high school student in calculus - LOL. You can fill in the blanks for whatever they miss in school.

I do agree that the kids' final grades might suffer if the teacher and/or district isn't one to work with parents in this situation and there is work that just can't be made up. I don't think that is a huge deal though - as long as the kids learn what they need to know and can progress to the next grade.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM

My mother would take us out of school if we were going to "make a memory" (as she said it).
This trip definetly sounds like memory-making to me.

Anyway, she always had a sitdown with the teacher before the absence. She got a general idea of the type of material we would be missing that week (not specific worksheets, etc, but just an understanding of the subjects/areas of learning) and then she would be aware of what she needed to help us with.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Are letter grades really that important for a 7 year old?
I mean, as long as you dedicate extra time to get him caught up on the material - and he learns it - who cares about the grade?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I would see if there is a reading list for the 7 year old.
Also, there are so many educational electronic games out there, perhaps a few new ones for the trip would be a good idea, and would help keep them occupied on the plane, trains, etc.

You might also want to keep to their school schedule--sightseeing activities in the morning, lunch at about the same time that they would have it at school, more sightseeing, snack time, and then something fun for the 'after 3 pm hours', such as the zoo or aquarium.

Not sure where you are going, but I have been to zoos in Rome, Barcelona, Vienna, Salzburg, etc. They are all wonderful. Also, the Barcelona Aquarium is the best. The Prater in Vienna is also great for the kids. Don't try to overcompensate for missing school by cramming in 'travel education' from 8 am to 5 pm. You will overload and overwhelm them.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Travel is an enriching educational experience and your sons will be just old enough to remember this trip to Europe. It'll be funny in a few years to see what they actually remember as if my kids are anything to go by it will be anything but what you think.... for example they'll remember a particular icecream flavor or playing with an Italian child in a park for 5 mins!

As an ex teacher I think they'll gain more than they'll miss educationally except if they're behind in Math and reading. If so, set aside time each day to read with them (take some books with you plus some museums in Europe sell children's books related to the exhibits) and take an age appropriate Math workbook for them to practice their numberwork. Look at it as a brief home schooling experience and enjoy!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I hope your kids don't have Kerry392 as their teacher. It's 8 days not a year!

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM

WITH THE GREATEST OF RESPECT FOR YOU on first glance and as an educator, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Do you honestly think anyone is going to make a BIG fuss over missing a whopping EIGHT days of school? Especially for a five-year-old?

Do you really think the kids are going to want to continue any sort of studies once they get to Europe (perhaps yours are different than many)?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Assuming the children are doing well in school, I think all will be well at their age. I agree about letting the school know and offering to work with the child to complete any assignments the school is willing to provide. (If the teachers decline to do so, so be it. I would be disappointed in a school or teacher unwilling to help. Where do their salaries come from?) If you are visiting Europe, there are so many lessons to be learned there: lots of history and art, open air museums, cultural differences.

There does come an age (depending on the child and the school's academic demands) where taking the child out of school would put him/her at a big advantage. I would NOT do this, for example, with a high school student taking AP classes. I feel that a long absence would be too hard to make up, given the nature and pace of the class. There's still lots to learn in Europe, but we've confined our travels to summers now, with older children...

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM

We are the parents who always pulled our kids out of school if need be - esp at earlier ages - adn when they were your kids ages, here is what I would do:

Most of my kids teachers gave them some sort of an assignment and/or some work sheets to do with no problem and were thrilled they were going to visit somewhere new and have some different educational experiences. Just my experience, I know not everyones.

Each child had a notebook that was their trip journal. If they couldn't write - or write much - they wrote a sentence or two or did it with photos, cut outs from travel guides, ticket stubs, pictures they drew and they would often leave spaces for a photo they would have developed later - I used to give them each a disposable camera so they could also take photos of favorite things.

I also did take the time to make them at those younger ages a "Find Me" book as I called it -
I would make a separate notebook with things we would see along our travel -depending on where we were headed, this booklet might include - monuments, museums, a famous painting, a Paris street lamp or bridge, a famous street sign or boulevard, double decker bus, etc. whatever , and even sometimes key phrases in another language - simple like hello, welcome, goodbye, etc - so they had to look and listen for things.

they would carry it along with them and have to keep an eye out for these things and check them off when they found them - it became sort of a fun competition but kept their eyes and ears open and aware of their surroundings -

No matter their age, once 5, each child (younger ones needing my help to choose) would get to choose one thing we would absolutely do in each location - and this is how in fact, we ended up taking a tour of the sewers and entire underground 'world' under Paris ! (yup, an 8 yr old boy picked that one) - my daughter was more apt to choose a store, cafe that served the best hot chocolate, or in later years an opera house or ballet to go to.

Also, if there are any books for their age about where you are going, reading those beforehand is always fun -as well as renting a movie filmed there, or simply showing them some art books or history books with photos of some things you might see.

My kids were always excited when in later years they studied many of the things we would have seen and places they actually walked - living history so to speak.

Have a wonderful trip. Nothing like family and travel, for us anyway.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I would also just like to applaud the family trip. Too many families that I know spend very little time together. The parents work all day and the kids are in school and then with a sitter. 8 weeks in the summer they are in sleep away camp while the parents go to Europe. I think it is terrific that you are spending quality time with them. While I agree that school is a priority, this is also an important education for kids to learn to socialize and behave well in public, and with people who are different than themselves--with parents there to guide and educate. Life is short. Enjoy them now. Bravo to you and our next generation of Fodorites.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM

escargot -
What a great idea!
Also this would be a great "assignment" for teachers to give kids while they're away.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Take your children and enjoy your trip. I would definitely tell the teachers a couple of weeks ahead of time.
Our teachers would always have them keep a journal of the trip.
It is much harder to pull them out in middle school and almost impossible in high school. So enjoy your trips now!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -