Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Taking grandaughter to DisneyWorld...best to go end of June or end off Aug?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Dick

Any opinions on when it would be better for us to go?

We know it will be crowded...but don't know just how crowded.

Is it worth the extra expense for the Contemporary?

Thanks

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:39 AM
nina

End of June. I've been both times. Try to go as soon as her school lets out or even miss the last day or two. Nothing really academic will be happening those last few days anyway. You might get a head start on the really enormous crowds that way as many schools are still in session until the end of June. Also, June is hot, but August is intolerable. Given the choice, I vote as early in June as possible. If you do go in August go as late as possible. The schools in Southern States start around August 20th so crowds should lessen somewhat then.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:46 AM
nina

Dick, I forgot to answer your Hotel question. Currently there are some good discounts on many deluxe properties for June. Go to disboards.com or wdwig.com. They have the codes you need to give the reservationists. Or you could just try calling (407) 934-7639, which is Disney Central Reservations and ask for either an "upsell" or which resorts have discounts for your timeframe. They will not offer this information unless you ask. If you ask them to look for the best price and what discounts you qualify for, they will do that.

If you qualify for government/teacher or nurse discounts you can stay at the Swan or Dolphin hotels, very beautiful deluxe hotels right at Epcot, for $ 129/nt. Not knowing the rate you were quoted for the contemporary, I can't say whether it's worth it. It really depends on whether you got a discount or not.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:20 AM
august

I'm a teacher and went the week before school started at the end of August. It was hot, but not intolerable. The crowds were medium sized I'd say. We never had to wait for a ride longer than 30 minutes and that was at a water park! Just make sure you drink plenty of water!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:54 AM
BTilke

I'm with the August is intolerable crowd. A few years ago we were there in August and it was so unbearable, we just sat in the French cafe in Epcot for about two hours until it cooled off (a very little). And then we picked the rides/attractions based solely on shortness of lines and air conditioning.
How old is your granddaughter? An older child, teenager might be able to cope with the heat, but a younger child might just end up cranky and fretful. Go in June!
BTilke

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Heather

I vote to take your granddaughter out of school for a few days in April or early May. It's WAY too hot and humid to enjoy WDW in the summer. Even in May you'll get sunburned. If I were you I'd worry less about the crowds and more about the heat; in Florida it's BAAAD!!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Rainy

I went in Aug and it was HOT! The crowds weren't as bad as I thought they might be though. Just drink a ton of water and try to find ways to cool off in the afternoon.

The Contemporary has got to be the ugliest hotel I've ever seen in my life. The Carribean Beach is the same price, a lot nicer, and is very kid friendly!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:08 PM
nina

Actually the Caribbean Beach is less expensive. It is however, run-down in the rooms that NOT have been renovated yet, so make sure you stay in one that has been renovated, and is not as convenient to the parks. The Contmporary was contemporary 25 years ago when it was built and now is just dated. However, the rooms are big and comfortable and it's a few minutes monorail ride from the Magic Kingdom.

I would stay in a Deluxe for the same price as a moderate, which the Caribbean Beach is. The Deluxes are nicer.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Dick

Thanks for the advice.

My grandaughter is only 5. Although I have no problem taking her out of school, I'm not sure about her parents.

I know the contemporary is old, My son is 32 and we took him there as young child. The monorail was convenient and I know that the rooms are very big there. But I also heard that they never put in cable TV(except for Disney channel) so I don't know what the condition the hotel is in.

I'll look into theCaribbean Beach club....any more suggestions?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Rainy

if you like being on the monorail the Polynesian is nice too - and they just redid the pool. The rooms are kinda dark due to the dark wood - but they are fairly good size. I also like the Coronado - but the rooms seem smaller and the convention center is there. The yacht or beach club are both very nice, but then again the rooms are a bit on the smaller side if I remember correctly.
My son is also 5 and I pulled him out of kindergarten last week to go to Hawaii - his teacher sent a pile of homework along with him! Just explain how educational the trip can be - I mean between Epot and the Animal Kingdom there's tons of learning to be done! ;0)

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Rainy

Almost forgot my favorite property - also a deluxe - the Fort Wilderness Lodge - or you could try the new Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both are very nice - although I haven't seen the inside of the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:41 AM
topper

ttt

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
gail

Have a great trip - my mother is taking my daughter (age 11) in April on a 7 day Disney Cruise/WDW package. The package originally booked them into one hotel, (Port Orleans maybe) but it closed for renovations. Then they got an upgrade to Dolphin/Swan since number of visitors is so low. I think either June or August will be hot, but if you are smart and careful, it will be tolerable. August is probably less crowded. As far as hotel, at her age, opt for convenience over amenities - at that time of year and with a 5 year old, you may want a mid-day rest/swim and then be able to come back later. Have fun planning the trip together - there is a free Disney video advertised frequently that might be nice to watch together.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
S. Persin

You'll melt in August. If you can go beginning of June.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:45 PM
sister

How old is your grandaughter? If she is young , it is worth the extra $$ to stay at the Contemporary. Saves you alot of time waiting for busses and walking. Sometimes convenience is worth the price. If she is an older child, then stay off site, take the bus and walk etc. I say June also......have fun! Wished my in-laws would take my kids someplace. You're neat! Dicknospam

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Kelly

I went to Orlando mid-June and the heat was insufferable. I even got a bad case of sun poisoning. Since your granddaughter is only 5, why not take her out of school for a few days. After all it's not like she'd be missing any exams or anything...

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Joy in Virginia

I have differing opinion from prior posters - I have been to WDW three times at end of August and found it to be great time to go! Of course I am used to southern heat - in Richmond VA the humidity is extremely high and July/Aug temps often reach in high nineties or up to 100 - so the heat doesn't bother us. I have been at these times with kids that were your granddaughter's age. We also beat the heat with those personal fans with water sprayers - you can get inexpensive ones at WalMart. Also most of the parks have air-conditioned rides, buildings so that helps beat the heat. Animal Kingdom has fewer air-conditioned attractions, but Conservation Station is great and cool! Crowds at end of August are not bad at all - kids in neighboring states & Fla go back to school in mid-Aug so there are not so many families. Whenever you go, have a great time! Another site to check out with lots of WDW info is wdwig.com

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Dick

Thanks for everyone's help.

The websites were especially good,

No we just thave to nail down our plans.