Search

Taking baby to Hawaii? How old?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking baby to Hawaii? How old?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are expecting a little boy the first week of August. Before I got pregnant, we had booked FF tickets to Hawaii for July. Well, we obviously won't be using them now! But since they were free tickets (and since we love Hawaii so much) and we can move the dates for free on AA, we were thinking of taking the baby after he is born.

We could go either in December (when he would be 4 months old) or the next summer (when he would be close to or around 1 year old). What would you do? What's the better age to travel?

It's a long flight for us from Boston, and I know it won't be easy either time. But after he's born and we have a better sense of him as a baby, we'd like to try. We've been to Hawaii for the last 4 summers, and are addicted

Any experience, advice, tips, etc...would be greatly appreciated from those who have taken these kinds of trips with their little ones. Thank you!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM

This isn't a Hawaii-specific suggestion--it applies to all travel with infants. Consider that at 4 months he won't be moving around on his own, and that at a year he will be mobile--as in, can't take your eyes off him for a moment while you're near the water, etc. There are pros and cons to traveling earlier in his life and to waiting until he's a year old.

But either way, I would strongly consider getting him his own seat on the plane--it's safer for him and safer for you and your husband's sanity if you don't have to hold him for that long haul flight.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM

I definitely recommend taking the child when he/she is 4 months old as opposed to 1 year old. We took our baby to Hawaii before she was walking and it was much easier than the trip we took with her 2 years later.
As the previous poster mentioned, at 4 months, the baby won't be mobile and you won't have to be worrying about what he/she is getting into. You can just strap the baby on you and GO (easier than dealing with a stroller, I think). Also, the baby will be sleeping a lot, so the flight should be relatively painless and you can even go out to dinner and such and the baby will likely sleep through it (ours did, at least.) Also, mealtime for the baby should be easier especially if he/she is still nursing.
As long as you feel up to it, I'd recommend going to Hawaii as soon as you can.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
dmlove

We took our son to Hawaii when he was 3 months old, and it was fairly easy (a lot of accoutrements to carry, but that's the life of a parent of an infant). When we were at the pool, he'd be in the shade with a toy bar (which didn't even exist then - we concocted our own! We called it his "mobile beach cabana"). Babies can sleep anywhere -- we didn't always go inside for naptime. Also, depending on where you stay, the stroller might not be a problem. We stayed at Kaanapali Beach when our daughter was 5 months, and you could walk with the stroller on the beach path. It was nice to be able to do that early in the morning before most people were up.

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM

I aint birthed no babies mz scarlett, but I sure as sure know from dems I been around.

4 months are easy compared to the next 17 years 8 months!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
dmlove

4 months are easy compared to the next 17 years 8 months!

Good point!

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM

I absolutely agree with the other posters- 4 months is much better than 1-- although I wouldn't have had the guts to take my DD to Hawaii at that age-- the plane ride would have freaked me out. At that age my DD slept on the plane, but the trip was only 3 hours. Getting your son his own seat for a flight that long is a must.He will sleep better and your arms won't ache.

I think you are wise to wait to make a final decision after you see what kind of baby you have- fussy or easy, cryer or not, good sleeper or not, etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these tips. These certainly make sense, and are along the lines of what I was thinking.

Anyone else?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Agree with above, but - to what are you "addicted" to in Hawaii and how much of a change will you have to make with an infant. Can imagine a perfectly wonderful trip - but if what you love is long lazy days soaking in the sun, eating out at nice restaurants, long hikes - these will be significantly impacted by accompanying baby.

So imagine your favored activities with infant along. And imagine them if your baby is not the easiest baby in the world.

Congrats on the pregnancy and many years of travel with kid(s).
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:58 AM

I have a 14 month old and also agree that it was easier when he was still taking long naps (for travel).

What I am curious about is how anyone felt the time zone difference affected their baby? Did it really screw up the sleep/eat/nap schedule if you are from central US?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:21 AM

One other thing to consider can you get FFtickets for December?
The weather will be better for the baby in Dec plus you'll get away from the cold for a little bit.

If you do decide to go in Dec get a friend to pick out a few COOL outfits in the 4-6month range on sale this summer.... you don't want to wrap him in down in Hawaii!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM

The subtext in many of these replies is that your life will change dramatically with a new baby...and it's hard to predict how that will affect you. I agree an infant is easier to travel with than a toddler. When our son was starting to walk, we hardly left the house, much less the country. But everyone is different. If you could get a family member to accompany you, no matter what the age of the baby, it would make for a more relaxing trip. I found the best vacations the first three years were with family, so we could have some time on our own as a couple. Around 3, kids and beaches start going together better. You still have to watch them every minute, but they will play in the sand without trying to eat it!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I meant to say leaving the mainland, not the country...I was thinking of the length of the trip from Boston.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM

There are pros and cons.
4 mo. old, they sleep more and the air time could be easier. On the down side, you might be faced with heat rash, but you could set up a nice shady spot to put the babe who can't move away. Sunscreen is MOST important at either age. A sunburned child could ruin a trip.
A one year old would love playing in the sand and dipping toes in the waves. Downside is they are mobile, may not take to the new setting if they are attached to their crib at home....until you know your child, it's a crap shoot. Maybe safer with a smaller child.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am no Mom but from reading this kind of question often, those in the know always say that traveling with infants is the easier age.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Hi,

Traveling with a baby is a lot like living with one. Just one and you have it double teamed. Two and it is one on one. Three you go to a zone defense.

I traveled from Cincinnati, Ohio to Vancouver, British Columbia alone with a 7 month old and a 2 year old. With airline change in Chicago.

I didn't go to the ladies' room on travel day from my house to the airport in Vancouver, when my dad could watch my children. This will be totally different for you traveling with your husband. But always a thought.

Sleep on the flight, me never, the 7 month yes, the 2 year old NOT.

We all had our own seat. Wonderful. The only way to travel.

Flight attendants no longer made eye contact, didn't matter which airline.

As one poster said they do become mobile. I was on red alert the total time afraid the 2 year old would escape.

For the holiday? I have plenty of photos of the 7 month sitting still as we went about Vancouver and a flash of that 2 year old.

But then the 7 month old is the only one to have ear trouble and the only one to fly under 18 months. Any other parents notice that?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I really do appreciate all these helpful and interesting responses.

To answer a few questions, yes, there are plenty of FF miles available in December for when we are planning to go, so that's no issue.

And I do know the trip will be much different with an infant. But we are okay with that. We love just being outside in Hawaii, being on the beach and in the ocean/pool, sitting on our balcony, eating out, etc...There's nothing we really have to do (other than snorkel together) that we can't do with a baby. It will just require adjustments and more planning!

I think I will change the tickets to December, and then wait and see what kind of a baby our little boy is. The tickets are free, and it costs nothing to move dates, so that's not a problem.

But keep those suggestions coming!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM

My children are now in their early and mid 20's
We are also from Boston
My motto was always travel early and often
We have many wonderful experiences from that motto
I had been to Hawaii three times prior to my first baby and loved it.

Our kids went to Hawaii when they were 5 and 8 for the first trip.
Before that, we enjoyed many wonderful vacations in Bermuda for years before moving on to the islands like St. John, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, and parts of Florida

I am also in Boston here is what I would say to think about: and these are all "coulds" and "what ifs" and your 4 mth old could sleep the entire flight from Boston to Hawaii , be healthy the entire time there, and sleep all the way home....

These coulds and what ifs could happen on a flight from Boston to Bermuda....but wow, it is soooo much shorter !

You have no idea what type of baby you will get - fussy, colicky, can tolerate flying and pressure on ears or will scream for hours during take off, landing and inbetween - baby could change sleeping habits and wake you up 3 x a night on vacation - b/c of anything, time change, teething, etc
(our joke was the minute I ever landed to visit my mom in Marco Island, my daughter was to the pediatrician within 24 hours with an ear problem)

For me, all the things you loved about Hawaii is what I loved "being on the beach and in the ocean/pool, sitting on our balcony, eating out, etc...There's nothing we really have to do (other than snorkel together) that we can't do with a baby"

and I did all those things for years in Bermuda, -
are there differences? sure
I'd say the snorkeling was one (but I like the snorkeling in Australia better than Hawaii, and even in parts of the Caribbean......and I'm sure there are places that put all those places to shame for snorkeling...)
But other than that, I got everything I wanted -

We used to prefer the Reefs or Elbow Beach Club if the Reefs were not available

I have always been one of those mother's however, that would opt to go closer and get most of the same things than chance a lengthy and unhappy plane ride before they were at the age when they could talk and also understand what I was saying to them......

as in, "honey, open your mouth and roar like a lion!!" - WOW - did you feel your ears pop? isn't that better? let's do it again !

I have also been in the position of being a 3 hr flight from Boston, having one child with ear/sinus infection enough so she could not fly for x amount of days, meaning Dad and son went home without us (because of work, etc) and I stayed with her until she could fly again without pain.....I'm glad it wasn't a longer flight away than 3 hrs....

once they were older, 6 and 9 plus, we moved on to longer plane rides to Hawaii, Europe, Australia, etc.....

But you will find just as many who fly from Boston to Hawaii all the time with no problem with infants -

I think it is as long as you know what the possible scenarios are and what you are willing to possibly deal with -

there is no right or wrong answer to this question, to me -

and there are lots of threads here on how to travel with an infant long distances and what to have on hand if you do a search - with excellent suggestions for infant and parents

Best of luck and congratulations -
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:35 AM

To echo escargot, I was going to suggest going to bermuda instead. I know you won't get as much bang for your buck with re the miles, but we found bermuda to be our east coast hawaii. We are going there this summer for our second time with our DD. the first time she was 10 months. she will be 2 1/2 this time.While we would LOVE to go back to hawaii, i have been too chicken to travel that far with DD at this or any previous stage. Mind you, we travel pretty extensively, and she's been on probably 4 trips at this point as has done very well on each, but the trip to hawaii is just too intimidating for me. But people do it!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hi,
We had a really wonderful trip to Hawaii when my son who is now 16 years old, was 41/2 months old. He was not a colicky baby and did really well. We bought a baby backpack and he had enough head control by then to sit up in it and it was a great way for him to go hiking (short easy) with us. We had a condo within walking distance to the beach. I also bought a little tent
for him on the beach, so he was protected from the sun. He loved to kick the sand with his feet! We met some other couples with small children and infants and it was quite enjoyable. He even let us eat out quite a bit. He was mesmerized by all the sights and sounds at the restaurant and would just sit in his little infant seat, on our table and look wide eyed at everything.

He did fine on the airplane. I just planned his feedings so we nursed on take off and landing.

I think it is a good idea to wait and see what he is like, but make your plans, because it can be a wonderful trip if your expectations are right and your baby is fairly settled, and many are by four months.

I would only go to Hawaii with a 1 year old, if I had reinforcements, like a grandparents or a babysitter. They are so fast and into everything. You could still have a good time but it would be exhausting and not really a vacation. Going out to dinner with the typical one year old is often stressful. Keeping the sand out of the mouth and them out of the waves. . .
Sincerely,
Familytravlin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -