Tacoma - Farewell Yellow Brick Road

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

Last weekend I traveled up to SeaTac and on to Tacoma for an Elton John concert. Not going to do a 'full on' TR because it really was just two flights, two shuttle bus transfers, two nights in a (very decent) HI Express, quick pub meal, one nice seafood meal, and the concert.

But a few comments re Alaska Airlines, downtown Tacoma, etc. . . . and the concert of course

Alaska Airlines: Flew up Saturday AM and home Monday AM - concert was Sunday night. Only flown Alaska 3X before, once several years ago to catch an Alaska cruise, once connecting from BA coming home from the UK and once for an event at the Tacoma Dome. I generally fly AA, sometimes Southwest, and when I must - BA. Rarely on UA or DL. Both Alaska flights first class (business really) were completely full so I had to book coach -- but being AA platinum I was able to get Premium Class for no extra cost -- only real benefits being more legroom and free alcohol. But I have to say the cabin crews on both flights were superb. Friendly, helpful, during drink/snack service they greeted me by name and gave me and extra snack and a special chocolate bar (which was a teensy bit embarrassing since my seat mates got no such acknowledgment nor extra goodies - NAH -- it felt a bit DYKWIA )

Downtown Tacoma Holiday Inn Express: Took Premier Shuttle door-to-door from SEA to the HI Express. I've used the Premier Airporter before to get to Tacoma and IMO they are a very good option. Don't remember the exact cost but it was around $45 each way which I think is reasonable. Was pleasantly surprised by the HI - very updated, clean and friendly front desk staff. My large room was on the 8th floor with views across to the mountains. Hotel has quite a large lobby with fireplace and several comfortable seating areas. a modest but perfectly fine breakfast buffet is served in a separate breakfast room. My only other trip to Tacoma I stayed at the Murano and it is a really lovely property, but it was unavailable one of my nights so I settled on the HI -- and very glad I did. It was almost $200 cheaper for 2 nights and is closer to the Tacoma Dome so I could walk over -- a bit less than a mile.

Downtown Tacoma: OK - I've been once before and really like some bits of the downtown area. There is a free light rail system, a few interesting museums -- especially the wonderful Glass museum, the Chihuly glass bridge, plus an Art museum, Washington State History Museum and a couple of others. But it is sorta weird -- there is not a single shop of any kind. (some of the museums do have small set ups in house -- but for example - the shop in the History Museum is currently closed). Nothing except for a minimart in a sketchy Chevron station on 25th St not far from the Dome and not really in the 'civilized' part of downtown. There are some pubs, pizza/Italian, Asian restaurants, several nice hotels, but no place to buy anything whether it be a T-shirt, craft item, water or bottle of Tylenol. nada.

. . . to be continued
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Janisj—

I have visited many of the largest cities in the States in some cases numerous times, which drew me in most as a younger man; as I get older, I have gradually become more curious about the less-visited smaller cities and what they have to offer—consequently, I appreciated your thoughts on downtown Tacoma. The museums sound worthwhile, so that could tempt me to visit one day. However, the absence of shops indicates to me a lack of walkability for residents, which I find has been a common factor in urban destinations I enjoy most. Maybe there are neighbourhoods elsewhere in Tacoma that are more walkable?

Thanks so much for the report. Look forward to the rest!

Daniel

Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 08:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In a funny way downtown Tacoma reminds me a bit of the downtowns in some eastern and/or rust belt cities. There were long years of disinvestment - all the loose money went up the road to Seattle - and the residential areas closest to the south end of downtown (where the dome, University branch and the museums are located) were low-income for the most part. The opposite end of downtown - the north end - bordered on a higher-income area, with a number of lovely homes, iconic Stadium High School, Annie Wright schools (private, mainly girls-only and very elite) and the "old town" area of the city.

Here's Stadium High, originally intended by the Great Northern Railway to become something of a west coast version of Chateau Frontenac or Banff Hot Springs hotels in Canada, but converted to a school following the 1893 market crash.

The Tacoma Dome, and later the museums (including the Le May auto museum) and a big branch of the University of Washington, were lured into the south part of town, and have started to make a difference - it's quite a different atmosphere during the day than it is at night. I'm sure the pandemic has stalled things quite a bit, but the trend lines are quite clear - the City of Destiny is making a comeback.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

DanielWilliams: I wouldn't discount a short visit to Tacoma. Say a two nighter en route somewhere else along the West Coast -- I know you like using the trains and Tacoma is on the Coast Starlight. There is a lot that is very walkable -- Just no shopping There are at least four center-of-downtown museums, plus the LeMay car museum just about a mile south of where I stayed so definitely walkable. It is less than half a mile from the Tacoma Dome light rail station. In Daylight when the museum is open I'd feel OK even though its through some sketchy blocks. I really wanted to visit the LeMay - a bit of a classic car nut (saw it from the airport shuttle) but and it looks amazing. But I simply didn't have time. Just the LeMay and Glass Museum would make a very full day.

Gardyloo: Thanks for the background info. The university is a godsend -- steps . To explain -- Pacific Avenue -- the main drag where the museums, trolley, most restaurants are is flat level. BUT the hotels and some other restaurants/brewpubs etc. are two blocks uphill . . . VERY uphill LOL. The Uni is right in the middle and has steps and stairways throughout the campus making it much easier to walk between hotel and attractions.

On to brief non-TR TR. After checking in and unpacking Saturday afternoon I walked down the hill and had a late-ish lunch of a really good chili and a pint of porter at the Harmon brew pub. Ended up not being very hungry for dinner -- which is when I discovered there was no place to buy anything. The only sandwich shop closed at 6PM and I didn't really want to eat out so I ended up buying chips and snacks in the (very) small shop in the HI lobby. Not much more than a kiosk really. Since I just about always travel with peanut butter crackers and dark chocolate I didn't starve.

On Sunday morning had a pretty good buffet late breakfast and headed out. I'd spent a lot of time exploring the Glass Museum my only other Tacoma visit so this time I concentrated on the History museum - spent a couple of hours, then crossed the glass pedestrian bridge and walked north along the waterfront/yacht clubs to the Fish Peddler. About a 20 minute wait for a table so I sat on a bench overlooking the water till they called me. Had a wonderful / substantial late lunch of seared sea scallops w/ bacon jam (yes -- bacon jam bacon makes everything better), grilled potatoes, green beans and more. Ordered a glass of prosecco at $9 I expected a typical 125 ml flute . .. but it was huge -- a regular wine glass almost full. Needless to sya that is all the alcohol I needed.

Then I made my way back about 20 minutes to the hotel and relaxed, watched some football and changed for the concert.

What can I say -- yes he's old, and yes this is about the third year of his farewell tour -- but EJ is still a major showman! I'm not a 'huge' fan but think he is one of the best song writers around and he definitely knows how to entertain. I saw him once before in the mid to late '90's as a double bill with Billy Joel and that was hands down the best concert I've ever attended. Two virtuoso showmen at the very top of their games.

ET no longer prances around the stage and stayed mostly seated at the piano, not many histrionics and only a little 'chit chat'. He really can't hit the highest notes -- but he really did give everything. Still has a lot of vocal strength especially considering he is 75. Played for 2.5 hours with no intermission except for the brief break between leaving the stage and returning for the three song encore. He wasn't very flamboyantly dressed - two sparkly/glittery tuxedos and an embellished long robe for the encore. But the audience filled any gaps LOL -- saw people from 8yo to 80yo in full on sequined Dodger uniforms, hundreds of boas, even more light up eyeglasses - and probably the entire NW provisions of sequins and bugle beads

I can't remember every single song - there were more than 25 numbers, but the highlights for me were Bennie & the Jets, Philadelphia Freedom, Rocket Man and Candle in the Wind (which were each stretched to more the 10 minutes), Crocodile Rock, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. The band were all old timers and was absolutely amazing, and EJ gave them lots of kudos and recognition.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 05:11 PM

I like the Fish Peddler too. Especially nice on a day when the farmers market is going on.

There are a number of nice shops etc in the Proctor District. Really a nice area of town.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mms
I like the Fish Peddler too. Especially nice on a day when the farmers market is going on.

There are a number of nice shops etc in the Proctor District. Really a nice area of town.
Lunch was really goos and I think reasonably priced for the quality.

I had read about some shopping districts in other parts of the city -- my comments were mostly my impressions of the downtown area near those hotels, museums and the Dome. Funny thing is -- I asked two different front desk crews (so 5 hotel staff), the waiter in the brew pub, and the ticket seller at the history museum asking where I could get to using the trolly/light rail and not one knew where it went or if it could get me to interesting neighborhoods. Next time I head up that way I'll do some extra research -- but this trip was all about the concert so I didn't mind that much.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 12:27 PM

Janis--I agree, good food and reasonable pricing. I hope you get to explore a bit more on your next trip, but definitely understand how this trip was different.