Reload this Page >

T. Agent troubles-Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Maleluka

I had a problem with a travel agent re: she neglected to cancel an reservation of mine then she lied, etc; Question is, on a separate vacation, she has the dates I'm leaving and knows where I want to stay. I have made my OWN reservations myself. What damage could she do to me? Could she call and cancel my rsvp as if it were me? Please help. Thank you. Desperate here.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:37 AM
AC

HI:
Did you fire her?? You don't need a T agent to take of you! Let your keyboard do the arranging!
Do you have confirmation numbers?
Have them mailed, faxed or e-mailed to you. Keep them. Reconfirm your reservations. More than one time if you feel unsure. Good Luck!

They only way I know of to cancel

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Maleluka

I guess I meant to ask, can she cancel me outright - just to mess up my schedule/ This will be during Xmas.

I will ask them to fax or email me confirmation.

Thanks.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 07:06 PM
Patrick

If she canceled me from hotels I booked without here, I'd make sure I had her license revoked -- and I'd certainly think that would be possible with any sort of documentation of what happened. Of course, your vacation would be ruined, but there would at least be a little satisfaction. I realize that it is a little late for a lecture, but obviously you picked a very poor travel agent if you actually believe she would do such a thing.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 11:02 PM
xxx

AC's response was perfect -- who needs an agent? Book it yourself, through the internet. Better deals and peace of mind.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 03:49 AM
Maleluka

What happened is that this goes back to Oct. when I went to her for a NY trip. I made one hotel RSVP with her and subsequently and in a timely manner asked her to CANCEL that rsvp. Later, the money was debited from my account and she rapidly paid it to me from her account and lied that Sabre misunderstood (yet she gave me a cancellation #). I ultimately didn't use her, but I had already given her information for her to look up for me re: Xmas and dates, and hotels. In the meantime, I made my OWN reservation myself at a hotel at WDW for Xmas, and I'm concerned that she'll looking through the hotel rsvp's that she may have access to, see my name and cancel me, UNBEKNOWNST to me.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Loafer

If she does this to you, even though it would be mean and wrong of her, the hotel YOU booked through would be responsible. This is because there is a privacy act that basically says the hotel (or car rental, cruise line, etc.) is responsible to verify with whom they are speaking and make sure that person is the one who made the reservation. They are to speak to no one else. I used to work for a cruise line and this was VERY important. Of course one thing we couldn't control is someone calling saying they are someone else. We don't ask for SS# or anything like that.
I wouldn't worry about it...

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Maleluka

I spoke with the hotel and they said it was a good idea to do it as they have many problems with travel agents doing the same to other clients or former clients. They put it under a completely different name and they reminded me to call before I got there to change the name. I put a block on it also. Again, from what they said, they have extensive experience with things like this occurring with travel agents. I'm glad I had a light bulb moment.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 03:11 PM
Patrick

If what the hotel rep told you re: this is not something new to them (travel agents cancelling on customers;former customers), this is very alarming and there should be a law enacted to provide persons a legal remedy. No one should be able to do this out of spite or anything else. You should put her name and travel agency name and city and state on here as a WARNING to all.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 03:51 PM
No More Laws

Yeah, just what we need, another law on the books that wouldn't be necessary if people took responsibility for themselves. Government was intended to do what you cannot do for yourself! Get a life! We dont need more laws on the books because someone changes a hotel reservation! For goodness sakes! There are CROOKS in every line of business! If you think you've been "harmed" in any way because of this reservations, why not wait and see, and if it does turn out (that you were) -- call the Better Business Bureau, that's what they're there for! To help you! Use a little common sense. And it it's keeping you up at night, then book another reservation at another hotel! There are some exceptional bargains over Christmas at several hotels in Chicago!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:49 AM
Patrick

Using common sense is doing exactly what the poster did, take care of the situation to BLOCK the travel agent from harming them. What common sense is it to wait for a travel agent to unethically and illegally possibly call as the poster and cancel the reservation during a Christmas vacation when then it would be too late?????? What common sense is that? Not being able to even go on the trip because they did not take the precautions that this poster intelligently did? Whether a law is made or not is not the point. I can see from reading it and my own common sense that it was merely a suggestion and a way of hoping that this would.
You sound like a travel agent. Would a law against unethical travel agents bother you that much? How can a person take responsibility for giving a travel agent a job and then that person steals money from them (as the poster said) and then they get back at them by cancelling a reservation?

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:51 AM
Laura

you can also file a complaint with ASTA (American Society Travel Agents) about what she did to you previously.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 10:04 AM
xxx

To: Patrick

No, I'm NOT a travel agent, but someone who thinks less government meddling into something I can take care of myself! I have a lot of kilometers on me, and I exercised commonsense rather than wait for a law to "protect" me, just as all the handgun laws on the books "protect" the good citizens!

If there was any doubt in my mind that a "low-life" (as described in the first posting) would be that revengeful, I would certain exert my rights and book at another hotel in Chicago. Rooms are practically being given away for Christmas weekend!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:04 PM
Peg

If you read the post, you will see the poster is discussing WDW - as in Walt disney world, as in FLORIDA, not Chicago.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:22 AM
xxx

To: Peg

Yes, indeed, you're right, she's referring to WDW, Orlando, FL (not Chicago -- must have had a brain f**t) But it wasn't until five or six postings DOWN that she even mentioned WDW. I inadvertently posted as "CHICAGO" because that's where I'm going over Christmas!

It certinly HELPS when you mention the city right in the first posting...that way you know right off the bat where, when, why, how, why...

Sorry I got your dander up! Have a nice holiday season!

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 12:10 PM
Louis

Maleluka - it would appear you have nothing to fear. You posted on 11/17 that you had a cancellation number for the NYC reservation in October where the guarantee was bebited from your account in error. It is not unusual for such things to happen now and then. You said that your agent without question quickly refunded the deposit funds. She acted properly. I am certain there was no money out of the agent's pocket as she cleared up the error at Sabre or where ever it occured. I see no indication that she lied or that there was any problem of her own doing. It also demonstrates the importance of have a cancellation number. It is very easy to block the collection of a disputed charge. For that reason there are many small places will not accept credit cards for reservations guarantees.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Pegs

In another post, she explained that the travel agent begged her to not contact the bank and was upset that the poster had immediately faxed the bank a request to investigate why the monies were debited from her account, seeing as the poster had told the t. agent to cancel this a month before. If you read the way she explained how the t. agent reacted, you can tell something was up. Everyone who responded agreed that something wasn't right with what the t. agent did.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:59 AM
L

This has a simple solution. You simply tell the hotel, etc. not to adjust any of your reservations without your approval. I've used this simple approach many times, and it works. I started when my wife's travel agent was putting her on my plane and accessed my reservation and changed my seat. Our secretaries used to try to change my reservations to save money (they always ended up paying more). I used the technique then as well. And always successfully. Just inform the hotel, etc. Ciao

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Take it from someone who knows

I can't believe that you so quickly jumped onto the travel agent. Sabre is infamous for it's gliches. I suppose that is her fault too?? And the next question SHOULD HAVE BEEN, why did the hotel charge the card anyways??? Hotels frequently screw up with their minimum wage workers. Travel agents are not incompentent fools much to all your's chagrin I would presume. She promptly settled the dispute without question. Had she not done her job, she would not have been so quick to right an innocent wrong. Travel agents much to your surprise can not control outside factors, such as CRS providers gliches, hotel employess who can't read on a first grade level, the weather in any destination, the conditions of a hotel room, or any of the more incredible things I have had the mispleasure of reading here in this unbelievable forum. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I suppose you have just blown thru life with absolutely no mistakes......incredible!!!!!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:43 AM
CheckDaDate

Ahem.

Dear Take it from someone who knows:

Note original post date of Nov 16, 2000. That's 2000 (two-thousand).

Can this still be a thread with meaning?