Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Swimming with the dolphins: Maybe not such a great idea?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:38 AM
Flipper

Yesterday's Washington Post carried an interesting article about the increasing popularity of places in the U.S. and abroad that exist to allow people to pay money to swim with dolphins. Apparently, some (many?) of the dolphins are kept in poor conditions and worked very hard for too long. I thought it was very enlightening.

If you are thinking of swimming with the dolphins, you might give it some thought first, and have a look at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Mar13.html.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:46 AM
Sal

There is a similar problem with swimming with the manatees. Many people are making money taking the public into the habitat of this endangered species to make contact. IMO, this is not healthy for any animal, and is esp. dangerous for the manatee. They are naturally curious. If they become too familiar with boats and humans, it will be difficult for them to discern danger.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:57 AM
MarlinPerkins

I have been saying for years that we need to leave the poor creatures ALONE. If you see one in the wild, fine. But those kept in enclosures for us to pay money so that we can swim with them -- well, it's just not right. Dolphins need space. They need DEEP water. Diseases are easily transmitted. People -- just go to the Keys, or to the Cayman Islands, or Hawaii, and slip on a mask and snorkel. You'll no doubt see them there. And the experience will be so much more rewarding. And, Jim, stay away from that anaconda. Jim? Jim?!?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:55 AM
N.R.

I agree; we should leave animals in their natural habitats. That is ultimately best for both animals and humans.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:06 AM
JacquesCousteau

Dolphins are highly sensitive, neurologically advanced creatures and although I've not seen any studies on this issue, I cannot help but suspect that the constant exposure to human 'torment', confinement, and exposure to infectious organisms which they're not accustomed to facing, MUST have a multitude of adverse effects on these poor harmless creatures.
Stop the cruelty....avoid the 'dolphin experiences'.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:03 PM
JIM

Marlon, I can hear you but it's kinda dark in here, and moving ... yo. Anna who? Marlin? I say, Marlin? C

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
Stephanie

I have been a dolphin lover all my life. When my husband surprised me with tickets to San Diego to swim with the dolphins at Sea World, I was beyond excited. My time with the dolphins was short and I was one of 8 people experiencing the same things. We were at the park before it opened so we did not have to fight any crowds.

I can say my experience left me with a love and deeper appreciation of these wonderful animals. They are amazing, intelligent and we as humans do need to protect them. But having them in captivity has made scientists and environmentalist learn more about them and what we can do to save them. So, I would say, if you have a chance to swim with the dolphins, go for it, but do check out the facilities, how often the dolphins interact with the trainers, how much time they get to spend exercising etc., then base your decision from there. I feel the US is safer and controls the interaction better than outside of the US.

Remember the film and camcorder! Have fun!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:44 PM
xxx

Why do people think dolphins are so cute and cuddly? They are wild animals and have even been know to kill people (though it's rare).

Is it because they appear to be smiling? They're not. Must be a female thing.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:33 PM
Animal lover

Stephanie,
The dolphin CAN benefit from research conducted in bonafide research facility. However, the parks and tour guides are the only ones who benefit when they sell time to swim with them.

How would you feel if a stranger knocked on your door with a ticket to eat dinner with you? At least you could tell them to go the hell away.