Reload this Page >

Swimming with manatees?

Search

Swimming with manatees?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:44 PM
Kris

Swimming with manatees?

Is there somewhere in Florida that offers swimming with manatees?

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 03:18 AM
cedar

You are kidding, right?
The closest you could get to a manatee would be Blue Springs...as far as I know. You can swim in the Springs with the manantee nearby.
I think the manatees would prefer to be left alone....not unless you want to "swim" on the bottom of the river where they usually hang out.....

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:30 AM
Meg

Kris, you can swim with manatees in Crystal River, Florida. There are a couple different companies that run tours. Look up www.manateetours.com or run a search for Crystal River to find out more. From what I've read, Crystal River has the largest herd of manatees anywhere. They come there to winter each year.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:59 AM
Kris

Meg, Thank you very much for your polite reply and I will look into the information you gave me. Cedar, I saw a short piece on TV about swimming with manatees and I was curious. Rudeness isn't necessary.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 09:49 AM
MarlinPerkins

It's always best to NOT interact with wild animals. What's with this sudden interest in swimming with dolphins, manatees, etc? Go get a scuba tank (or snorkel) and hop into the ocean (or river) and you'll SEE lots of wildlife. Why does one need to SWIM with wildlife? Live the poor creatures alone!!!!! Thank you. [and I don't mean to be rude, but this is a real sore point with me]

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:15 AM
Jim Fowler

I'm with Marlin. I am disturbed by all of the questions on this forum about how to bother, er, swim with wildlife. I'm no animal rights nut or anything, but this just seems like another yuppie vacation idea taken beyond reason. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think people book these "experiences" without really thinking about it. Kris, sorry to raise this point on your thread, but I think it needed to be said.

Now, swimming with alligators is something I could support.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:37 AM
CMcDaniel

*Aside* from all this, Cedar makes a valid point. They spend most of their time on the bottom eating the vegetation needed to sustain those large frames. If you've ever had the opportunity to observe them from below the surface through viewing windows such as the one at Mote Marine in Sarasota, you are aware that all that roughage has the same effect on them as it does on us. Swimming with a large group of them might not be as cool as one might think.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:24 PM
Sal

Kris,

You can view manatees in their natural habitat at Homasassa Springs just north of Tampa. There are a large number of them in captivity, and they are in a portion of the springs that has a barrier preventing them from returning to the wild. These animals are there because they have been sick or injured and are not ready to be released. They have a viewing platform, as well as an underwater viewing area. Crystal River is an area frequented by manatees. There are also guided boat trips, such as the one out of Mote Marine, where you can often spot manatees in their natural habitat. I have worked for years for an organization that houses and rehabilitates manatees; you need to be aware that while manatees are extremely gentle and docile, they are also extremely curious. They will often approach you in the wild and they are very, very strong. They can can hurt you, certainly not inending to, with their powerful flippers and tail so I would not advise venturing into their waters without a guide. And it is true that these animals are best left undisturbed, as too much human contact can place them in danger by causing them to be less cautious about approaching boats. By the way, many are passionate about the preservation of the manatee, as am I, but we should still be cordial with our reponses.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 03:51 AM
cedar

Kris
I didn't intend to be rude...but, I really did think thst this message was a "troll".
I work with the dolphins in Florida and I think it is a big mistake to be using these animals for entertainment.
But, that is another story.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Don Smith

I visited Homassas (spelling?) State Park last February and would recommend it very much. I always thought it would be fun to swim with the manatees but after watching them through the underwater veiwing area I think they would appreciate it if people would leave them alone. The Park has lots of other wildlife to see besides the manatees. I'd rather go here than Disney World any day of the week.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Wondering

Cedar - What made you think her question was a troll? It's a legitimate question. Ignorant or not - you didn't have to be rude.

Why is going diving in the ocean any different from swimming with manatees in their natural habitat? Isn't it the same thing? I think these creatures come to Crystal River on their own free will. They're not restrained in any way, are they?

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 10:50 AM
Lisa

Cedar, do you work with dolphins or porpoises? I told someone the other day that I loved to eat dolphin, and I was almost burned at the stake. Dolphin is a fish. Porpoise is a mammal, and that's what we see jumping through hoops at Sea World (unfortunately. Can't you just leave those poor things alone?).

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:20 AM
CMcDaniel

Oooh Lisa, don your flak gear. gt; Both porpoise and dolphin are mammals. Someone else can get more technical about the distinction, but not I.

The "dolphin" you are eating is actually a pretty ugly fish...similar to Mahi mahi. It's a game fish and entirely different from the familiar Bottle Nosed (for instance..just one of several varieties) dolphin.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Larry

Dolphin fish is not just "similar" to Mahi mahi, it IS mahi mahi. And while alive it is hardly ugly, but one of the most brilliantly colored fish in the ocean. I forget, what does this have to do with travel again?

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:56 AM
MarlinPerkins

Actually, a dolphin can be either a mammal or a fish. There are two creatures called "dolphin." There is absolutely nothing wrong with being in the ocean, or river, or lake, and observing wildlife. But interacting with it (petting them, feeding them, etc.), that's where the problems come in. Personally, I think SeaWorld should be shut down, but that's my humble opinion.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:17 PM
cedar

Bottle nose dolphin is the dolphin that you see playing and jumping in the Florida waters...also, a favorite performer at Sea World and Marineland.
As cute and endearing as they are they can also can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing when you are interacting with them in the water....their bottle noses could flip someone 50-60 feet.
I haven't heard about any recent performing and flipping manatees, tho.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:33 PM
MarlinPerkins

Joseph,
Jim and I, though a wee bit older than when we were on T V, are still taking care of wildlife. Afterall, someone has to give that Crocadile Hunter a run for his bloomin' money.
I just love this Fodor's Forum (although it's no longer called that!!!)
Hey, Jim, look out for that hippo behind you. . . . oopps.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Jacques Cousteau

James, how could you be so rude as to ignore the fact that I, too, am quite dead. I mean, honestly. And between you, me and the wall, that Marlin Perkins guy is and was a total fraud. "Jim, watch out for the wildebeast!" Really, what kind of warning is that? At least I gave my divers shark cages when I was too yellow to go in the water myself. But Marlin, the tightwad, pay a penny for protective equipment for his employees? As we say in France, forgetaboutit.

Still bitter,

Jacques

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Fred small

I love this forum.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 04:26 AM
angel

Marlin -- you died in 1986. I'm truly amazed you were able to post from the next life! Calling Elvis . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -