Reload this Page >

Swimming with Dolphins in Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 1998, 08:03 PM
Krista

I'm going to Maui in late September/early October for my honeymoon. One of my dreams is to be able to swim with the dolphins. Can you do that there? If so, where?

Old May 29th, 1998, 01:47 AM
Bart

Krista, congratulations. Good news/Bad news. Good News is you've selected paradise for your honeymoon.
Bad News, I have never heard of dolphin swims in Maui. There is a location on the Big Island (Waikaloa) where they do dolphin swims but I've never seen or heard of them on Maui. The pacific dolphins are Spinner dolphins and they are considerably smaller than bottlenose. 18 months ago I was diving in Kona and a school of dolphin surrounded the boat for 45 minutes but did not interact with divers. They just stayed around and cleaned themsekves by jumping and splashing into the water.

Old May 29th, 1998, 08:03 AM
Krista

Bart--
Thanks for the info.
I read your posting about which restaurants are good to visit. Very helpful!
Any activities we shouldn't miss?
We don't dive, but we do snorkle.
Thanks!

Old May 29th, 1998, 02:07 PM
Bart

Snorkeling- Do the trip to Molokini, It's a dormant volcano between Lanai and Maui- lot's of fish. Also snorkel around Black Rock at the Sheraton. The most spectacular site in Maui is Haleakala at sunrise. Not knowing which time zone you live in I don't know how early you will be getting up the 1st day. For those of us from the east coast my internal clock gets me up at about 3am Hawaii time the 1st day. That's the day to go to Haleakala. If you golf try Kapalua, any of the courses. Personnally, I did'nt enjoy the Road to Hana -BUT I SURVIVED. It's an all day trip and tough on the driver. I'm sure that you will fall in love with the islands so save Hana for another trip. I'm sure this comment will get a response. You either love it or hate it. Another site is La Perrouse Bay - most recent Lava flow on Maui. E-mail if you any questions.

Old May 29th, 1998, 04:16 PM
kam

Yes, you can swim with the dolphins on the Big Island, but the requirements and reservations are so restrictive, it's pretty tough to do so. You don't just jump in and swim. They have to be very concerned about the dolphins' health. Sometimes you can play with the whales when on a boat. I certainly agree with all of the above suggestions---a bike ride down Haleakela at dawn is great--Lahina is a pretty little town with shops, and try the Pineapple Plantation restaurant for dinner--make a reservation to be there at sunset--it's near Kapalua. I also agree with the suggestion about Hana---it's a tough drive and not a honeymoon project!! Enjoy.

Old May 30th, 1998, 04:42 PM
Debbie Hilliard

If you have your heart set on a Dolphin swim, Cancun has a nice one that takes into account the health of the Dolphins. I disagree about Hana; it's a lovely ride past waterfalls and rainforests, IF there has been a lot of recent rain. Ask about the recent rain fall in Kahalui (where the airport is). Consider driving to Hana one day, spending the night and driving back the next. Maximum speed is 15 miles per hour, so don't be fooled by how short the mileage is!
Aloha!