Swimming in the Great Salt Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to float in the Great Salt lake, just to say that I have done it, and I think my children might like to also. We are not looking for more than a dip. Where is a nice place to do this, with deep water and nice sand if that exists? We are approaching SLC from the NW so can access the lake from either I-15 or I-80 if it makes any difference and would prefer not to backtrack. I noticed that there is a state park beach on both the eastern and southern shores.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM

Just out of curiousity, when are you planning to do this? I believe it is snowing and in the 20's there right now.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

August, however it doesn'tm freeze over I understand.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM

Either state park is as good as any other place.

I've done exactly what you describe -- jump into the water for no more reason than to jump into the water -- and the one thing you need to know is that it is REALLY salty. Even if you've swam in the ocean, this is even worse. Your eyes and skin will be quite irritated when coming out of the water, so make sure to use the showers.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM

If you want to go to the lake from I-15, you'll need to exit at Syracruse (watch for Antelope Island on exit signs) and go west about 10-15 miles to Antelope State Park. Here is a beach, trails for hiking, a visitors center, and a herd of bison. Right off of I-80, exit 104, is the Great Salt Lake State Park. You will have to wade a long ways out to get deep enmough to float. Keep your head above water (no diving or jumping in). As others have said it is very salty, so shower before leaving.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM

I remember the great salt lake to smell pretty badly. Is it the same from the state park area? Just curious.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Is one beach deeper than another?
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM

Here's some good info about the Great Salt Lake http://www.utah.com/stateparks/great_salt_lake.htm. I would avoid Saltair and go to Antelope Island. The lake is very shallow. You'll probably have to walk out into the water for quite a ways before it becomes deep enough for you to actually float.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM

I took a tour that included both Great Salt Lake and Bingham Canyon Copper Mine.

What I remember about the lake is that it's exceedingly salty and a little smelly (apparently at other times, it can range from not smelly to really stinky). The guide said you'll definitely float if you're in deep enough water, and that no known drownings have occurred here because the lake is so buoyant. We went to the boat launch area, which is not that far from Saltair, and there was a ramp which went right down into water deep enough to float in. None of us decided to do so.

Note that the "beach" areas aren't made of standard sand but of tiny pieces of brine shrimp poop covered in crystals, which apparently impart a, shall we say, unique feel to these areas -- apparently a bit muddier than standard sand. I took the guide's word for it.

I found the experience fascinating. Didn't get to Antelope Island, though.