Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SW Utah Itinerary Changes - Option Opinions Please

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've posted this under a new title as the previous one is no longer relevant.

After sleeping on my previous overly aggressive itinerary I've decided something has to be removed or consolidated.

My style is to do relatively easy things but go non-stop most of the day.

"If" my previous packed Day 1 worked, I would still end up with over 6 hours of driving on Day 2.

At this time I have two itinerary choices:
1) Upon arriving in LV drive to Kanab for the night.

On Day 1 do the Paria Rimrocks Toadstool Trail, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Ben and The Best Dam View (never had any intention of taking a Glen Canyon Dam tour) (and maybe stop somewhere else in the area) ending with a 3 hour drive to Bryce Canyon to walk on the Rim and see the sun go down and/or drive to a few viewpoints.

Day 2 would include sunrise at Bryce Point, hike Navajo Loop/Queens Garden then drive over to Cannonville (30 minutes) for Willis Creek slot canyon and possibly Grosvenor Arch since we're right near there (9 different miles on a dirt road for each of them each way but little work) ending with a 3 hour drive to Zion (could be shorter depending upon the state of the Zion East entrance construction). Depending upon what time we get to Zion we could walk the Riverside Walk.

On Day 3 we would do Angel's Landing until Scout's Lookout (no desire to go further) and either Emerald Pools or Canyon Overlook if it's accessible (again the construction) and end with the 3 hour drive back to LV stopping in Valley of Fire for an hour or so if it's early enough.

The upside to this is there's no more than a 3 hour drive on any day and I will have done three things I haven't done (Toadstools, part of Angel's Landing and Valley of Fire). The downside is we've missed Lower Calf Creek Falls.

Or Itinerary 2)
Arrive in LV and drive to Escalante for the night.

On Day 1 do the Lower Calf Creek Falls hike, Devil's Garden Escalante and maybe Willis Creek ending with the sun going down in Bryce Canyon. This day has little driving.

Day 2 would include sunrise at Bryce Point, hike Navajo Loop/Queens Garden and stop at some viewpoints. We would go to Willis Creek if we didn't do it the day before. This day would end with a 3 hour drive (depending upon Zion construction) and possibly Zion hikes of Canyon Overlook or Riverside Walk depending on the time and state of Zion construction.

Day 3 would be the same as Day 3 above.

The upside to this is there's less driving on any day, I will have done two things I haven't (part of Angel's Landing and Valley of Fire). The downside is we've missed the Page area sights.

Comments and opinions please.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would make the final decision once I'm pretty sure what the weather will be like. I'd do option 1 if it is going to be sunny when I get to Antelope canyon and do 2 if it looks like overcast/rain that day. www.weather.com will give you the forecast up to 10 days and although it isn't carved in stone, it is helpful.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

The problem is that for option 1 we'd probably sleep a night in Kanab and for option 2 it would be Escalante.

So we have to know ahead of time. Unless I have a reservation in both.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Many places let you cancel without penalty 24 hrs. before, check it out. I don't think Antelope canyon, and Horseshoe bend would have much to offer if it is not fairly sunny, but they can be spectacular if there is sun.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM

You have hiked Calf Creek/hwy 12 and you did "Page area". Which one did you find most rewarding and which one do you think your daughter would like the most? Option 2 sounds easier to do and since this is a shorter trip, you might want to do as little driving as possible. I am a sucker for waterfalls, and if you hike Willis Creek that is a slot canyon hike as well(maybe slightly similar to Antelope). I would probabl skip VOF. I haven't been to it, so I may be missing something. I am sure it is nice, but don't see how it could compare to some of the other things you have mentioned. But really, you probably can't go wrong with either plan.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

spiro,
Plan 1 is probably a little more driving but plan 2 has a 2.5 mile hike each way (Lower Calf Creek Falls) and it could be hot. Yes, there's a waterfall at the end but Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend are spectacular as well.

While Willis Creek (it was cloudy when I was there) is a series of relatively short slot canyons, nothing is really like Antelope Canyon when the sun is bouncing around.

I wouldn't go out of my way for VOF but it's directly on the way back to Las Vegas and if the timing works, it's something to see that I haven't and is probably worth an hour or so. I wouldn't cut anything short in Zion for it though.

emalloy's idea of deciding a few days in advance of the trip might be an idea but I'd have to have two trips planned. A cloudy day kind of ruins AC whereas it has to rain to put a damper on most other things. That's almost a good enough reason to go with plan 2.

I wonder if most people who go to Antelope Canyon plan to go there specifically or if they go there because they're passing and are in the area?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Well, after sleeping on it last night I'm now starting to waffle again and lean towards plan 2.

This plan includes Lower Calf Creek Falls, excludes Page. It has less driving but the much longer, and possibly very hot LCCF hike.

The main reason would be that plan 1 (Page) is dependent onsunny, clear weather (Antelope Canyon) while only rain would put a damper on plan 2.

Is that a good enough reason?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:09 AM

I have a suggestion -- if you are entering Zion from the East, do the Canyon Overlook that day. It is right there, before the Tunnels, right on the way to the switchbacks into the main canyon.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

laurieb,

I've been to Zion and done the Canyon Overlook hike. I think my daughter would like it very much.

The problem is that there's major construction taking place this season near those switchbacks (at this time they're predicting major delays and/or closures - we'll know more a few weeks before the trip) and that hike may have to be skipped.

In fact it may be necessary to loop around and enter by the south entrance.

This just adds another complication.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Myer -- yes I see. Sorry, I didn't take that into consideration. I didn't realize you already knew the lay of the land. Have you ever been to the Kolob section of Zion?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

No, I hevn't been to the Kolob section. I think we have enough to do in Zion.

I don't usually do hard things. As I result I totally stayed away from Angel's Landing. I probably should have gone up to Scouts Lookout.

I think we'll do that. I liked the Riverside Walk because of the scenery and I saw some deer. If we can get to Canyon Overlook I'd try for that as well. Otherwise maybe emerald Pools.

The second and third days are no problem (Bryce, illis Creek, Zion) it's the first day.

Page (Paria Rimrocks, Antelope canyon, Horseshoe bend) or Escalante (Lower Calf Creek falls, Devil's Garden and maybe one more)

I guess something will convince me to go one way or the other.