Search

SW Colorado driving advice, please.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:35 PM
mp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Colorado driving advice, please.

We'll be doing some driving for five to seven days through Colorado, starting in Denver, overnighting in Aspen (I know . . . but I've never been . . . ) then spending three nights in Telluride as a base, hoping to drive the Million Dollar Highway and visit Ouray and possibly Durango - we're very flexible, and also realize there are a ton of wonderful areas to explore and hike. (We are also continuing on down to Canyon de Chelly and Santa Fe over the following week.) My question is this - I understand this is a lot of driving. We are two adults and one 11 year old child. We won't be doing any off-roading, I don't like SUV's and I'm torn between renting a mini-van or a compact or midsize car. The minivan would be comfortable, but does not get great mileage and possibly will be not great to handle in the mountains. A sedan would get better mileage, possible handle better, but would be cramped with us and our luggage. Any thoughts/opinions from those who have travelled these roads? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:37 PM

I question Telluride as your base. There is certainly enough hiking to keep you busy but traveling to and from gets a bit problematic. I can't imagine going to Durango via the Million Dollar highway and then coming back to Telluride. I'd give Telluride two days and then go to Durango via the MDH. Ouray is definitely worth a stop even an overnight (Box Canyon and the Hot Springs).

How do you plan to get from Aspen to Telluride? This may well be a day's trip in itself

As far as vehicles are concerned, I'd opt for the mini van. We've driven a mini- van over these roads several times with out a problem.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:09 PM

We have done the Million Dollar Highway in our 23 1/2 foot class A motorhome. Drive the speed limit and you won't have a problem driving the mini-van in the mountains. The size vs gas cost will have to be something you have to decide.

Utahtea
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:26 AM

The mountain roads in Colorado are 4 lane highways unless you seek offroading. A minivan is fine or whatever you want to drive. Don't apologize for Aspen--it's a nice town.
Bid on Priceline for your car. You'll save a lot.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:04 AM

Caveat to what Gretchen said - many of the mountain roads are NOT 4 lane highways, including the San Juan Skyway (the Ouray-Durango-Telluride loop). In fact, in SW CO, I can only think of a couple that are 4 lane.

Here's my advice for mountain driving:

Get a 6 cylinder, whatever kind of car you decide.

Don't ride your breaks coming downhill - they will get hot and quit working altogether. Put your car in a lower gear instead (2nd is usually good, but I like to go slowly).

If there is traffic behind you, find a pull off (there are lots of them) and let the traffic go around you. There's nothing worse than having somebody tailgate you all the way down a mountain.

Switch drivers every once in a while so you can both enjoy the scenery.

Have fun and enjoy!