Reload this Page >

Suspicious Sign in Hotel (???)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Joe

I recently stayed at the Regency Plaza Hotel in San Diego, and at the hotel entrances as well as inside the building was a sign that read:

"This facility contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm."

When we inquired about the sign at the front desk, they said it was because of the "smoking floor". But I have never seen a sign like this before at any other hotel. Is it some kind of state law, or is there something I don't know about? Does anyone have any ideas why these signs were on the wall?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Toni

I recently toured some model homes that had the same disclosure. From what I understand it's a blanket disclaimer that is listed in any public building that may have, could have, might have, will or did have (I think that covers it) any type of hazardous waste or materials.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:49 PM
You'rekiddingright?

Leave it to the People's Republic of California to come up with another hysterical reaction to some supposed menace.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Kate

Hysterical!!

I love America!!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:25 AM
beth

Never seen a sign like that referring to smoking but some older public buildins in downtown chicago have signs like that as they have found to contain asbestos which they are slowly removing from each building. California is really strict with their smoking regulations, many times I wish that would spread here to the midwest. I abhor smoke ans can't stand it when people are on the EL platform (which is outdoors but has non smoking signs that MANY ignore) smoking away. I have no qualms telling them to put their cigarette out. One time some guy looked at me and said "Hey, lady what are you going to do about it?" I promptly when down the stairs and got the security guard who made him put it out!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 07:25 AM
John

It's not just California. My favorite bar has a sign warning of the effects of smoking on pregnant/nursing women...and it's posted in the men's room! Gotta love state law!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Barbara

You will find these signs everywhere in California. They are the result of proposition 65 from many years ago (10yrs??). I think it was the brainchild of former legislator Tom Hayden (you know, Jane Fonda's ex) to label all hazardous materials. The signs are in every bar (alcohol - hazardous materials) or restaurant that serves alcohol. Although I am a native Californian and love it here, these strange attempts at protecting us are embarassing when viewed objectively. God knows how much all those signs cost!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:23 AM
PS Local

I have to agree, Barbara and other fellow Californians. It's ludicrous and another example of what a highly-regulated environment we live in. However, don't blame the government. Laws like this are passed in an effort to reduce the number of *ridiculous* suits by opportunistic lawyers on behalf of lazy people trying to exploit a crappy tort law system. California is one place where personal responsibility seems to have gone the way of the dodo.