Surviving a red eye - Advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, seasoned travelers. We travel A LOT but have never done a redeye. Trying it next month cross country to catch a cruise out of Port Canaveral. The price was just too good to pass up and we are limited for time this particular trip.

Any great tips for how to do this? Unfortunately, this is not a nonstop, so 4 hours one flight, 2 1/2 the next.

My husband could sleep standing up, but it's harder for me!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I also can not sleep on flights. We west-coasters have to put up with nights-that-are-not flying eastbound (worst on polar flights to Europe) but the good news is that coming home you get the extra hours back.

My wife swears by Melatonin and it must work for her - no sooner than wheels up and she's cruisin' and snoozin' all the way. Unfortunately she likes the aisle seat, so at some point I intrude big time into her space, so there.

The other good news is that you'll be on the wrong timezone when the boat sails, usually late at night, so you can be the life of the sailaway party up on the Lido.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:13 AM
GoTravel

Drink no alcohol for at least 72 hours prior to departure. Try and sleep on the plane but if you can't, don't try and nap that day. You will never get up. Also, avoid caffeine a couple of days prior to the flight and take your vitamins.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:20 AM

I do a lot of redeyes...yes,they can be difficult.But book a window seat on the 4 hour flight.Board as soon as the flight is called.Grab a pillow/blanket as soon as you see one.Then as soon as the flight levels off,snooze away.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:31 PM

After working in peds for three years, I've adivised alot of parents on how to fly with children. One thing that works for both young and old is Benadryl. Take some right before you board and you should be feeling drowsy by the time you level out.

Valerian is a natural supplement that my husband swears by. It helps you fall asleep with out feeling groggy when you wake up.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Buy one of those inflatable donut-shaped things to put around your neck. This makes it much easier to sleep on a place. A sleep mask might also help.

I actually just went on a flight similar to yours. With the layover, it's going to be hard to get enough sleep. You might want to scehdule a couple of hours once you arrive for a quick nap.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I'm not looking forward to it but am sure I'll survive. I remember not looking forward to a 6 a.m. flight out of Newark this past July but it turned out fine ... thanks again