Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Survived Memorial Day weekend in D.C. w/In-Laws!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (both 30) gave my husband's parents, my in-laws, a trip to Washington D.C. as a Christmas present. The reason being that my father-in-law fought in Vietnam, but has never been to D.C. or seen the Vietnam Memorial. My mother-in-law has never been to D.C., either.

Several weeks before the trip date arrived, my DH and I decided to join them as we were able to find a quick direct flight to Reagan Airport which would allow us to not miss any work. We arrived in D.C. on Friday evening, and departed on Monday evening--Memorial Day.

My DH and I have both been to D.C., although I haven't visited since I was 13 years old.

I was able to secure a good rate through a Virtuoso travel agent at the Ritz Carlton in the DuPont Circle/West End neighborhood. This rate included breakfast daily and a $100 food/beverage credit.

It was difficult for me to determine the right hotel for D.C. since the "top" hotels are located in different neighborhoods.

I also looked at the RC Georgetown (too expensive), Four Seasons Georgetown (too expensive), St. Regis (room design too stuffy), new W (rooms tiny, i.e., 200 sq. ft.), Park Hyatt (rooms looked too modern for older in-laws) and Willard (rooms looked a bit dated). There didn't seem to be any clear top choice amongst the higher-end D.C. hotels, which I find odd. I decided upon the RC in the West End because of the rate, and also, due to positive reports concerning the service and close location to DuPont Circle.

We were happy with our choice. The service was very good, particularly for a busy holiday weekend.

What we did:

1. Vietnam Memorial:

The original purpose for the trip. It was quite emotional for my father-in-law, and also, my mother-in-law. We were there during Rolling Thunder, which for anyone who doesn't know is a annual pilgrimage of Harley riders who descend upon D.C. in remembrance of those soldiers still missing in action/prisoners of war. So, as a result, there were a lot of veterans standing in line at the memorial. The personal mementos that family members and friends left at the wall for those that departed us in order to keep our country free really made it real.

2. Arlington National Cemetery:

I highly recommend going to the cemetery and taking the tourmobile shuttle throughout the grounds.

I also strongly encourage visitors to stay for the changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider--this occurs every half-hour during the summer. It was extremely moving.

This was the first time to Arlington for my DH and I, and we couldn't get over how peaceful and moving the whole experience was, especially seeing the headstones of those soldiers who fought in WWII, the Korean War, and Vietnam. It really makes you appreciate the men and women in the armed services.

Being there during Memorial Day weekend further added to the experience. On the tourmobile shuttle which operates in Arlington, one of our tour guides was an older gentleman who gave a moving tribute to veterans which brought my father-in-law to tears. After the tour was completed, my father-in-law spoke with the tour guide, and they hugged. Turns out the tour guide was also in Vietnam.

3. Other Memorials/Monuments (Washington, Lincoln, WWII):

I wasn't too impressed with the WWII memorial. I thought it was a bit too busy and didn't do justice to the most important war in modern history.

What can be said about the Lincoln Memorial that hasn't already been said? It's so simple yet so perfect, especially when you look down towards the National Mall or look up at Lincoln and feel like he's watching you! It makes you want to be a better person, just thinking about what he was up against yet he never strayed from his core beliefs regardless of the political price.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the Jefferson Memorial. Jefferson is my "favorite" founding father, but the location of the memorial is certainly not convenient. I wish it was right by the Lincoln Memorial!

4. Capitol/Supreme Court:

When we toured the Capitol, they were setting up for the National Memorial Day concert, headlined this year by Lionel Richie. So, we couldn't get too close. But of course, the Capitol buildings are beautiful.

My DH and I had to get a picture on the steps of the Supreme Court as we are both nerdy attorneys, lol! I wish we were able to visit when the Supreme Court was in session as I would LOVE to see oral arguments. I guess that's just an excuse to return.

5. Museums:

We also visited the Holocaust Museum and Freer Gallery, a Smithsonian Museum. I wish we could have done more, but alas, we didn't have the time.

We wanted to visit Newseum as I've heard such great things. However, when faced with a choice between Newseum and the Holocaust Museum, we chose the latter. We obtained the free Holocaust Museum from the concierge at the Ritz Carlton. Apparently the museum sends tickets to hotels, which saves you from picking up a timed ticket from the museum in the morning. I would suggest that you check with your hotel if they have any tickets which will save you a lot of time.

The Holocaust Museum was so moving and well done. It really makes you think about the actions of ordinary people who helped hide Jewish people and others from the Nazis. I particularly liked the wall on the "aftermath" level of the museum which spotlighted some of these regular people who saved many lives.

The Freer Gallery was a calm respite from the heat and crowds. It's right next to the Smithsonian Castle on the mall. There was a nice selection of Asian art and artifacts, as well as some early American art. I recommend this stop when you need to catch your breath and get away from crazy summer humidity. I noticed that there was a beautiful courtyard in the museum with a fountain and gardens.

6. Other Sites:

DuPont Circle, a couple of blocks from the hotel, was really cool. I like the energy--kind of reminds me of Magazine Street in New Orleans.

However, Georgetown is more our speed. I loved it. Very quaint.

We also stopped at Union Station. That would be a great place to catch your breath during touring and have lunch as they have a number of cafes and restaurants (B. Smiths, America, Thunder Grill, etc.). That's also the place that a number of the bus tours depart from. The architecture of the building is very interesting.

7. Restaurants:

Our breakfasts at the hotel really filled us up, so we would have a snack during the day (we had appetizers at Thunder Grill in Union Station one day) and then have a good dinner out. We had dinner at the West End Bistro, a Eric Ripert restaurant in the Ritz Carlton, one night. Great casual vibe (for a Ripert restaurant) and food (think bistro food--steak frites, high end burgers, and some seafood). We had a fun server. Not too expensive and a good wine and beer list. Highly recommended.

We also had dinner at Georgia Brown's one night. This is Southern cuisine. I had fried chicken which was okay. My DH had shrimp stuffed scallops or something like that, which he enjoyed. The park in front of Georgia Brown's seemed pretty sketchy, with a lot of homeless people meandering about.

We didn't eat there, but we had drinks at the FABULOUS rooftop bar at the W Hotel right next to the Willard and across from the White House. This is a great place to come for a drink and pictures. Very cool vibe!

We also had drinks at the famous Round Robin bar at the Willard. Cool vibe and bar, but I'm glad we didn't stay there as it's a little too old fashioned for our taste.

8. General Impressions/Closing Thoughts

We had a great trip. One of the reasons we decided to make the trip is because there has been a lot of favorable press over the last few years regarding how cosmopolitan D.C. has become.

I think it has a lot of strengths. However, it is missing that certain *thing* to make it truly special in the way I feel some U.S. cities are--obviously it is special for its history and importance to our country. I guess what I'm saying is that I still find it to be lacking the cosmopolitan feel found in Chicago & NYC.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:42 PM

Excellent trip report! Loved all the details. Hopefully next year I can return to DC--I'll be sure to look up your trip report.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM

Wow..excellent report!
We usually stay at the Willard or the Mayflower..imho, its not dated at all..the bar is classic..with the best French bistro.
Glad the Ritz didn't disappoint.
The roof top bar at the W is a blast!
Georgetown is so hip with a great vibe..great bars and restaurants.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:44 AM

Glad you had a great trip. I'm going to DC at the end of August and cannot wait.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM

Great report, so glad you gave your FIL the opportunity to see the memorials and had a great time yourself.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM

Wonderful report. The Freer really is an oasis of calm among the crowds of people, isn't it?
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM

I guess what I'm saying is that I still find it to be lacking the cosmopolitan feel found in Chicago & NYC.

Well, those are much larger cities. And DC is more European in the sense of no highrises, broad avenues, traffic circles with parks, etc.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Nice report!

we have taken our children there about 7 or 8 times through the years - We Love it as well as the surronding areas.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the great report! We are going on Friday for a short weekend visit so I found this quite helpful. I am especially interested in restaurant suggestions.