Reload this Page >

Survival Tips for Mardi Gras

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 1996, 10:46 AM
Rosalina

Oh my, the choices. My girlfriend and I were just there for 4 days over veteran's day weekend. Go to Mother's for lunch. Jambalya & Red Beans & Rice are out of this world. (Although there are several signs posted about their world famous ham, don't order it, blah). We also went to the Court of Two Sisters for Brunch. They have brunch on both Saturday & Sunday. There were too many tasty items to mention.

Old Nov 25th, 1996, 09:39 PM
Derek

I was at Mardi Gras last year and I had a blast. The House of Blues has a Sunday Gosspal Brunch and it is excellent!!!!
There are so many good resturants in the French Quarter.

Old Nov 26th, 1996, 10:06 PM
georgia

NAwlins is awesome. Do not miss breakfast at Cafe Du Monde--chicory coffee and beignets. PRoceed to French market from there. Head over to JAckson Square, especially Sunday morning as church lets out. Great duo play the real thang blues by the Cabildo. Fun palm readers and artists abound as well. Great antiquing on Royal and art is EVERYWHERE. Music has changed for the better and best. Great blues and R&B at the R&B Club, Old Asbinthe (the one across from the Sonesta) and the best of the best blues is Big Al (500 lbs of WOW) at the Funky Pirate. Food--well, you can hardly go wrong anywhere. Faves include:Commanders Palace, Court of 2 Sisters, The Cajun Cabin (phenom oyster po boys and red beans and rice), great sands at Margueritaville, Nawlins Cookery and best oysters at Acme and Felix's. If you have time and transport, head down the Miss to Oak Alley Plantation. Also be sure you check out St. Louis Cemetary. There is NO WHERE like this place. You'll go back again and again!

Old Dec 9th, 1996, 10:17 AM
stasha

I agree with all tips previously posted but would like to add a couple of my own. Emeril Laggasse is New Orleans' star chef---if you watch the Cooking Channel, you've probably seen his show. He is behind Emeril's and NOLA (stands for New Orleans, Louisiana), two wonderful, wonderful places that are very hard to get reservations at. Emeril's is in the warehouse district and is more upscale and trendy and NOLA is in the French Quarter and has more homey, rich food. Both are very New Orleans. A drink or jazz brunch at the Columns Hotel is also a very New Orleans experience---it's a lovely old plantation home (where Pretty Baby was filmed) and is right on the streetcar line on St. Charles Ave. Since this is your first time in NOLA, and during Mardi Gras no less, I have to warn you about crime. You've got to be careful---keep purses strapped around you (or better yet, leave them at home); don't wander down dark alleys (there are plenty of them!), be constantly aware of who's around you. You will be in very tight crowd situations with a lot of drunk-out-of-their-minds men. You will most likely be harassed, possibly grabbed, and probably asked to flash your chests ("Show Your Tits is a rally cry to get beads thrown at Mardi Gras). Flash away if you're in the spirit, but I've been through 3 Mardi Gras and I have many super throws, and I never flashed. There is an enormous police presence so report anything of concern: They make an extraordinary amount of arrests over Mardi Gras. Also, be warned that public transportation is interrupted due to parade routes so getting around can be difficult. Also, Mardi Gras night, police close down Bourbon St. at midnight, so be prepared; I would suggest not even being anywhere near Bourbon St. on Mardi Gras since it gets so out-of-control crowded. A better bet is St. Charles, near Napoleon Ave (look for Copeland's restaurant on the corner). Have a wonderful trip! --Stasha (editor of New Orleans guide and a Tulane alumna)

Old Dec 26th, 1996, 07:12 AM
Debbie Wong-Okabe

Hi:
I saw your enthusiastic reply to Kelly's request for info about surviving Mardi Gras. I was hoping you could assist me also.

I will be travelling to New Orleans in mid January with my husband and 8 and 10 year old girls. We will spend a day flying in each direction and 4 full days in New Orleans.

We are celebrating my husband's 40th birthday. He didn't want a birthday party so we decided to surprise him with a trip to a party city. Any suggestions for a restaurant for such a celebration? Our girls are accustomed to eating out at white table cloth restaurants so the place does not necessarily have to be "child friendly".

We want the trip to be fun as well as educational. And any ideas for entertainment and educational experiences for the girls?

We are staying at the Prytania Hotel near Charles Street for the first couple of nights and then the Embassy Suites for the remainder of the time. Will we need a rental car to get around?

Will look forward to your reply. As I have never used this fodors depart lounge before, I don't know if you will reply on email or fodors depart lounge. If not on email, could you please leave me an email as to how and where to look for your reply?

Thanks!
Debbie

Old Dec 26th, 1996, 07:12 AM
Debbie Wong-Okabe

Hi:
I saw your enthusiastic reply to Kelly's request for info about surviving Mardi Gras. I was hoping you could assist me also.

I will be travelling to New Orleans in mid January with my husband and 8 and 10 year old girls. We will spend a day flying in each direction and 4 full days in New Orleans.

We are celebrating my husband's 40th birthday. He didn't want a birthday party so we decided to surprise him with a trip to a party city. Any suggestions for a restaurant for such a celebration? Our girls are accustomed to eating out at white table cloth restaurants so the place does not necessarily have to be "child friendly".

We want the trip to be fun as well as educational. And any ideas for entertainment and educational experiences for the girls?

We are staying at the Prytania Hotel near Charles Street for the first couple of nights and then the Embassy Suites for the remainder of the time. Will we need a rental car to get around?

Will look forward to your reply. As I have never used this fodors depart lounge before, I don't know if you will reply on email or fodors depart lounge. If not on email, could you please leave me an email as to how and where to look for your reply?

Thanks!
Debbie