Surprised by hotel rates in Phoenix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Seattle and look forward to heading somewhere warm in the spring. Last year we had a great vacation in Scottsdale with our two young children. We stayed at the Fairmont Princess and played in the pools and took in the sunshine.

We've had an unusually gray year here in the Pacific Northwest and in July I was already busy booking our spring break trip I called the Fairmont and looked into booking our room. What surprised me was that I was told by central reservations that they had two rooms left (I am booking for late March / early April) and that the rates have increased dramatically ($200 more each night than what I paid last spring). I went ahead and booked a room, thinking that I'd see what our budget permits this spring.

Recently, I went onto Expedia just to see what the rates were at other comparable hotels and was shocked. Most of the "4 star" hotels on Expedia were over $500 a night for a room in Phoenix in April.

I am a big fan of the desert and can't wait to get back to the sunshine - but I was genuinely surprised by the rates - thinking that they are more in line with what I would pay for a room in Maui - not Scottsdale / Phoenix (again, much as we love it). We paid $330 for a room last year and now they are closer to $540.

Do these rates surprise you as well? And why would a hotel increase their rates that dramatically in the span of one year? Is it just based on demand?

The things that we love about heading to Arizona at that time of year - many direct flights (and it is such a quick trip) - warm weather and lots to do. We are traveling with 2 young children and a newborn, so ease of travel is key. However, I do not wish to spend what I see as the equal to a week in Hawaii by the time that we are done. Is there somewhere else that you might recommend?

Would love to know your thoughts as I feel like I learn so much when picking the brains of other Fodorites! Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

Last year did you pay the full rack rate? I would assume with only two rooms left for your dates this year, you will be paying their highest rates. I would think that before maybe you had some sort of special price.

But yes, it's called supply and demand. With only two rooms at those prices left months and months ahead, I suppose the following year will show another dramatic increase. It's called business, so why would any resort sell their rooms at $300 if they can easily fill the place at $500? That would be very poor business strategy!

And as to the comparison to Hawaii, my understanding is (and trust me I know very little about Hawaii) that there is almost a glut of rooms available, so they tend to be more competitive. How many resorts in Hawaii only have two rooms left for April?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. And yes, from a business stand point it makes absolute sense to me. I was just surprised by how much the rooms seem to be going for across the board in that area. But - they are one of the few places that can likely guarantee warm weather at that time of year - so they've got a great selling point!

We went to San Diego a few years ago at that time of year, and had to purchase fleece jackets to keep warm (imagine, a Seattle family leaving home without their fleece / Gore Tex!).

Thanks again.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
kealalani

There is also the chance that some major convention is in town. Supply and demand. I feel your pain whenever looking for a room in Manhattan - the curve is huge from week to week and prices constantly fluctuate.

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

Have you thought about maybe renting a condo as an alternative? We are planning our third trip to Tucson for spring training, and there seems to be a large supply available there for $900-$1400 a week. Many new or newish developments with views, nice pool areas, and very nicely appointed 2 BR/2 BA for that price. We also prefer Tucson to Phoenix, but of course your flight options and fares are fewer.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM

You will not get the desert, but you should get some nice sunny weather in Texas and I can't imagine hotels being as expensive at what you mention in Phoenix. For a family with young children I would recommend either San Antonio or Austin. There are many kid friendly things to do in either location and we typically have good weather in the spring, although last Easter was chilly since we got a very late cold front that kept us in our jackets! Let me know if you need anything else.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM

Could it be the Easter week?

This year Easter Sunday fell on April 8, next year it will be March 23rd.

I'm not sure if Arizona gets the same influx of tourists but here in Florida we get swamped the week before and after Easter.

Did you try a week earlier and/or later?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM

the west valley (peoria,surprise,glendale) is usually regarded as being much more affordable than the east valley (scottsdale, mesa,paradise valley).

you may want to consider different areas to lodge in phoenix. yes, it may be a longer drive to get to where you need to go, but at least youre still within the phoenix vicinity, and you will more than likely save a lot of money.

in fact, i found you rates under $100.00 in chandler,az for next april. its at redroof inn. i never heard of the fairmont princess,.but it sounds expensive.

i guess the question for you to answer is: how nice are you wanting your next vacation to be?

http://www.redroof.com/rr/select-stay.do
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
dmlove

Late March (as opposed to early April) is still Spring Training. Hotels are often harder to come by during Spring Training.

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM

dmlove is right on ... March is filled with people from Chicago etc here to watch their baseball teams in the Cactus league during spring training ... once the major league season begins April 1 or thereabouts this group is gone.

Still a lot of folks vacationing here in April but not as many as March, in case you can switch your dates a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM

mireaux, no offense, but someone asking about the Fairmont Princess and getting a recommendation for the Red Roof Inn is not unlike someone asking about getting a reservation at the French Laundry and someone suggesting the Red Lobster.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Y'all are cracking me up! Thanks so much for the interesting responses.

Yes, it is Easter week (that Sunday is Easter) - it was Easter week when we were there last year. I know that it is a crazy busy time - with spring breaks / spring training, etc. I remember that our room was rack rate and I remember thinking that we felt pampered and relaxed and that the $300+ a night was acceptable because the service was outstanding. However, I am not sure if I can justify the $500 for the same room at the same time of year.

Thanks to all for the recommendations regarding other locales. We are open to anywhere warm and sunny and not too difficult to travel to with two young children and a 6 month old baby. I love the idea of Austin - is it generally warm at that time of year? Also - condos are a wonderful idea and might be much easier with the baby in tow

Thanks again to all - I've got some research to do.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM

What about Santa Fe?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Our rates in January 2007 were way over $400/ night. I don't remember how much exactly, but I think DH said they were close to $500. At the time, they were about to start renovation of some parts of the hotel and new construction on others. I'm surprised they raised their rates during a time of loud construction and inconvenient closings of varous parts of the resort.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Hi Courntney,

Temps in the Austin area can really vary during the early spring. Honestly, we can have beautiful days in the 70's or 80's but we can also get a front along with rain and it could be rainy and the lower 60's. Historically speaking the closer to late March and into April will get the warmest weather before we head into the hot summer which usually starts in May.

Wish I had some ideas on family friendly hotels, but maybe some others will chime in. Definitely stay in the downtown area, though, because you are close to the Children's Museum, Zilker Park, and a whole bunch of great restaurants.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM

on the same token, you cant dine out in beverly hills and then gripe that you have to leave a 15% tip.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM

mireaux, if you dine out at a nice Beverly Hills place and get good service and leave a 15% tip, you should probably leave as quickly as possible.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Santa Fe is lovely, but it won't be all that warm in late March.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM

That's why it's called "high season" in Arizona. If you want cheaper prices, come back in August

Seriously, if you need a warm weather destination that is cheaper, Florida or Texas might be more viable options at that time of year. But Texas will be not be guaranteed to be warm, although it could be.

It will be high season in Florida as well, but they have many more hotels to accomodate the demand.

Honestly, if I lived on the West Coast, I'd go to Hawaii. You could probably stay at a really nice hotel on the beach for that price.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Rule of thumb: if the weather is very nice (mild/warm) in a location during the spring break season (March - April), it will most likely be pricey! As others have mentioned, prices do have to do with the date Easter falls on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -