Reload this Page >

Sunrise on Haleakalana

Search

Sunrise on Haleakalana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 04:05 PM
Kimbra Weeks

Sunrise on Haleakalana

Is it worth getting up at some ridiculous hour of the morning to see the sunrise over the crater on Maui in mid-January? The guide books say this is an experience not to be missed but will the weather spoil our chances of a spectacular sunrise at that time of year? Is it a July experience only? Looking forward to some positive replies... Kimbra

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 05:39 PM
Bart

Kimbra, It is well worth it, if the weather cooperates. Most hotels will post the sunrise forecast the evening before. If you are traveling from the mainland, plan the journey on the first day or 2 as your body and sleep routine are 3-6 hours ahead.
Hope this helps.
Bart

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 04:53 PM
Karl

Kimbra, I'm going to be doing a sunset on Mauna Kea in early November. Not exactly the same, but I'll tell you how good that was when I get back.

Hope you have fun!

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 10:16 PM
Heidi

Aloha Kimbra....

How about a beautiful sunrise and then a
exciting bike ride down the Volacno...??
The bike co. picks you up at your condo or resort so you can still get a hour
or two more sleep...they provide all
the equipment you will need for your bike ride down and you will get breakfast at the bottom... then
they return you back to your condo or
resort...if this sound like fun
drop me a line I will tell you more..
I have done a few times.....
Have a Maui wonderful day...

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Gordon

Hi Kimbra
We are frequent visitors to Maui and stay in the south Kehei area. The drive in my opinion is not worth the effort. You can have fog or worse yet the smog from the big island obscure your view. Getting up at 3am and driving up that twisting mountain where you can freeze is not worth it.
Get up just before sunrise, get a coffee and lay on the beach and watch the sun come up over the mountain. much more enjoyable and no stress.
as Snorkle Bob says why drive for hours to see something you can enjoy from your lani or beaach front

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:42 AM
Gordon

Hi Kimbra
Another favorite thing on Maui is the drive to Hannah.
This is highly over rated and over a very curvy dangerous road. If you do this do not drive it at night time your trip to leave at sunrise and be back by sunset.
It is in my opinion not worth the effort of the drive.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:30 PM
Charlie

Hi Gordon,
Wow ! You've spent lots of time on Maui.We'll be going to Maui in the near future and I'm glad that you've pointed out that 10,000 ft.+ Haleakala is not worth the effort and that the road to "HANNAH" is better left untraveled due to the dangerous driving conditions.I've also been told to avoid the Iao Needle because it's near the largest town on the island and you may run into traffic.So tell me what you would suggest us to see and do,and what do you do on your many visits.Thanks a bunch?

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 07:25 PM
Lori

Kimbra,
Gordon may be a frequent visitor to Maui but I doubt if he has "seen" much.
We've been about 14 times and each time take the drive up Haleakala - we don't go at sunrise but I am sure it is wonderful, it is our choice not to do that but we do go up by car and have seen some spectacularly clear days up there (also rain and fog) but we've not regretted it. The ride up is via a very good highway, yes it twists and turns but in slow, wide turns, it is a gradual climb up to the summit. Whether you go at sunrise or later in the a.m. is up to you, but do go. Asfor other things to do/see on Maui try and fit a day trip to Hana in as well. Granted the town is just a town, but the ride down there is marvelous if you enjoy spectacular vistas of the ocean, waterfalls, etc. Again, the road is full of curves and small bridges and it is not a freeway,nor can you "make time" on it - you go for the pleasure of seeing the sights and it is not dangerous if you drive carefully. We've been about 12 times, going back to when the road was not "improved" and it's a fun trip. Pack a picnic and sit by a waterfall, go go past Hana a couple miles to Hamoa Beach .. lovely! About the only thing I'd agree with Gordon about is not to drive the Hana road at night. Go and enjoy yourself, do what YOU think is fun, Maui a is wonderful vacation place.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Kellie

This is in reference to Charlie's post above.

We just returned from our first trip to Maui about 3 weeks ago. It was incredible! We did not make to to the Iao Needle, however, we wish we had. The comment about the largest city (Kahului) and the traffic there might be a little off. Sure, it's a decent sized town, but we were there a few times at different times of the day, and the traffic was never a problem. We also did the road to Hana, and it was beautiful. Just be prepared to take your time! We didn't do the Haleakala sunrise thing, but we did want to. We did what someone else suggested - go down to the beach and watch the sun come up over the crater. It was gorgeous!

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Dan

You should also know that people have been hurt and killed doing the bike ride down Haleakala. In my opinion, it's a marginal thing to do and is a questionable use of a public road. I've done many "high-risk" adventures but this is one that no one in my family will do. Just my opinion of course.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Dan

You should also know that people have been hurt and killed doing the bike ride down Haleakala. In my opinion, it's a marginal thing to do and is a questionable use of a public road. I've done many "high-risk" adventures but this is one that no one in my family will do. Just my opinion of course.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 12:02 PM
Charlie

Hi to all,
My earlier post above was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.I've just returned from a couple of weeks in Maui and did everything.I went up Haleakala at 8AM instead of dawn and it was awesome.Drove the road to Hana(all the way around)and I fell it was quite safe and well worth it,and lastly the Iao Needle was a treat to see.I for one think if you are going to Maui for the first time or even the second or third,seeing/doing all of these things are a real treat and are all part of the adventure--live a little!!! Aloha.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 05:06 PM
Noelle

My husband and I honeymooned on Maui last November. We watched the sunrise over the crater. If you do this, pack some warm clothes and take the blankets off your hotel bed. When we went in November it was in the mid thirties temp. wise. The drive is quite stressful, as the road is very curvy and it is dark of course. Equally beautiful as the sunrise are the stars that you can see! The sunrise may be just as nice from the beach, but I would recommend going to the crater sometime, if not for the sunrise. We also had alot of fun hiking at the Iao Needle, although I must admit we took a trail mentioned in a guide book which is not excatly open to visitors. Have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Kellie

Hi again!

Sorry, Charlie! I'm a little slow sometimes - I get it now - and you are completely right! Did you drive the full circle around to Hana, all the way around to Wailea? We were considering doing that, but we turned around instead. How was the road? We took the road from Kaanapali/Kapalua north/east to Kahului - that was quite an experience. The road was just like the one to Hana - just not as much greenery, but it was still beautiful.

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Charlie

Hi Kellie,
We stayed at the Marriot and on our first day we drove the road from Kapalua north and thought it to be a mini road to Hana,very nice.The day that we drove Hana road complete,a 12 hour day but worth it,we used the cassette tape and map to stop and hike at many of the trails.We had a picnic lunch but instead stopped at the Hana Ranch for lunch and than completed the circle by driving the "forbidden road"beyond the seven pools around the back side of Haleakala to the Tedeschi Winery/Vineyard.The road was not nearly as bad as I expected,is was bumpy(the whole way)but certainly not pot holes or craters and we drove at 20/25 mph.The contrast in scenery on the backside dramatic,from lush & green to a moonscape of nothing but lava flows and cacti,beautiful seascapes with a number of natural bridges,again worth the ride.We completed our trek,as I said, at the Vineyard with a purchase of a few bottles of vino and consumed our picnic lunch in their garden.By the way the road(Rt31)DOES NOT connect to Wailea,it becomes Rt37 and takes you to Kula and on to Kahului.Sorry for such a long story,I hope that I've answered your question. Aloha !

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 07:02 AM
edie

i just returned from maui, did the sunrise haleakala bike rideand the road to hana. loved the road to hana, we did the back road too, stopped at the vineyard. the road was bumpy but certainly not impassable at all and we didn't even have a jeep. the whole experience is something i would not miss. we got to the beginning of the hana highway at 7:30 am and totally beat the rush to all the sites. re haleakala, i loved the bike ride but could have missed the sunrise. it is freezing up there! we were very prepared with winter clothes and gloves but i was so freezing that the mediocre sunrise i saw didn't make up for getting up at 1:30 am and freezing my you-know-what off. and i am from the northeast, so i am used to the cold. also, we got back to the hotel around 12:30 and slept for about 3 hours. so it totally took up the day. if you are not prepared to miss a whole day at the pool or beach don't do it.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 06:23 PM
nancy

We are planning a trip to Haleakala too, but we can't decide between going down the mountain by car or bike. Is itthe same road via car and bike? We don't want to exhaust ourselves biking down and perhaps be able to stop more by car. Can you stop on the side of the road to enjoy the sites while driving down the mountain?

Old May 8th, 2000, 11:50 AM
ka

Nancy--The problem with biking down is that you have to stay in the group. They take you up to the top and then after sunrise everyone goes down single file very S_L_O_W_L_Y. And it is on the same road. You will not get tired its a long coast. No peddling. If you like to do things with out a group of people to hold you back than go by car. If you like spending the day with a bunch of people and doing things together go by bike.