Sunny and 80 in San Diego yesterday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang - last night I wondered why I felt a little sunburn - and had forgot about planting Roses for a few hours yesterday morning in San Diego's Balboa Park - at the Inez Parker Grant Memorial Garden - so we will be ready to host the 2014 National Rose Show here in May. http://arosefamilyholiday.com/

But the point I really want to make is that some people - even Northern Californians - seen to have this idea California is cold in the winter months.

Not so - at least here in sunny Southern California - as yesterday - it was sunny and 80 along the coastal corridor - warmer inland - and the average temp for Jan and Feb is around 65 - with numerous days in the 70's and higher. Here - for the next week - it's predicted to be 75 or above - and again - it's warmer inland.

Yes, we have the occasional rain storm - where the temp does drop a little - but those usually blow through in a day or two - and we are back to enjoying the best year round weather in the continental United States.

Did I mention we rarely have much humidity?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to live in San Diego. I really wish someone would DEFINE "much humidity" especially in a city that sits on the ocean.

Sorry, Tom, but I'm just a bit skeptical.

Yes, I love San Diego

Yes, I know it can get cold and damp, especially in the Winter months

Yes, we know it has some of the greatest weather in California

But not much humidity? Please tell us more.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love winter. Four season. Love them all.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM

I want snow. I want snow. I want snow.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:27 AM

It's funny, every time there's a relocation thread here in which the OP expresses a desire to live near the beach, so many responses are condescending and discouraging (often from people who have no idea what they're talking about, but that's another story). It's too expensive, there are hurricanes, it's so hot in the summer, you'll get skin cancer, on and on, the gist being that life can't really be a rose garden.

And yet, we who live near the beach, in a warm climate, and are not millionaires, suspect that if everyone knew, really knew in their bones, how nice it is, we'd be overrun
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:52 AM

My grandmothers bought lived within two blocks of the ocean and went every day to a "private beach" except in January and February. That was in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, NY.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Lol, it's been my experience that people are surprised it gets cold at all in California and that the entire state isn't beachfront.

While I do envy your mild temps, tom, I have repeat vjpb's mantra right now~we NEED snow, we NEED snow!! Otherwise, it's gonna be a really dry summer. :/
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 08:04 AM

I moved to California for the warm weather. And I love it. Love it!

But here's a news flash: WE. NEED. RAIN. BAD!!!

We don't need drought, we need to get the air cleaned out a bit (OK, a lot!), and paying for the sprinklers to keep my lawn alive will be getting really expensive unless we get some rain.

Everyone, please send rain. Preferably at night so I don't have to drive in it. Pretty please...?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the weather update, Tom. DH and I are driving to San Diego tomorrow for a long weekend with husband's family.

That being said, in NorCal it was 67 here yesterday. It is supposed to be 68 today. We need rain VERY badly. Voluntary water reduction (20%) has already started. If it doesn't rain/snow soon, SoCal will be crying this summer also. Folsom Lake is at 20% capacity now, usually at this time it is at 60% waiting for the snow melt runoff. While I love warm weather, PRAY for rain/snow!
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Let's face it: LOTS of people really WANT to live near if not actually ON the beach. We seriously considered moving to San Diego a couple years ago but ended up right on the beach in Fort Lauderdale where there ARE hurricanes, and there IS skin cancer, etc., but also a lot of NICE things, too.

People asked us how could we stand to move to South Florida from Northern Virginia where the summers are hot and very humid? Well, 90 degrees up there isn't really much different, if at all, than 90 degrees down here but at least we get some breezes off the ocean and get to look at the body of water and its fascinating aspects all the time.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's funny, every time there's a relocation thread here in which the OP expresses a desire to live near the beach, so many responses are condescending and discouraging (often from people who have no idea what they're talking about, but that's another story).

Is this a thread about relocating? Doesn't appear so. I expressed an alternate opinion about liking cold weather.

I've lived at the beach year round. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't discourage another from doing it. Horses for courses.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Those of you who want snow should come to San Francisco. We had snow in 1976. My wife & I were dining with friends on 24th St in the Noe Valley, and when we stepped outside after dinner - there was snow.

This was in today's SF Chronicle.
http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2...orm/#8679101=0
I actually saw this guy skiing down 24th street to Bud's Ice Cream - which was in the same block where we lived. If you watch the clip, I think that's me who is last in line at Buds.

If anyone is familiar with Bud's, the actual "Bud" and his wife are alive and well. He is about 99 years old, in great health, and lives in a condo in San Mateo which is directly below my wife's father's condo. My FIL and Bud & his wife are close friends - they celebrated New Year's Eve together.

Bud was in the Army during WWII. He and an Army buddy named Baskin talked about making ice cream quite frequently.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Holy Sizzler. Had to drive inland to El Cajon for a medical/eye exam - and it felt like it was 90.

As for humidity - I still cannot understand when people say it's humid here, Maybe a couple times a year - a little moreso perahps than in years past - but NOTHING like in Florida/the South/East/Midwest during the summer. Nor do we have big/angry bugs flying around.

As for Jan/Feb - and "June Gloom" - I had an office in the Village of La Jolla for years and never really thought it got that cold or that we had that much fog/marine layer - and when we did it usually burned off.

If you are here and there is fog on the coast - that am go to the Zoo - or the wild Animal Park - both usually clear - and when you get back - the marine layer should have burned off.

I walk around in a Polo Shirt and shorts year round - and for those who moved here from places where it got cold in the winter - they can understand - but some life long locals think it's freezing if it dips into the 50's at night.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

And yes, we badly need moisture in the West/California included.

Northern reservoirs are as low as they have been since going back to the late 70's.

And I too was in SF when it "snowed". Didn't stay long but was unique for sure.

Stu -as for Ice Cream - 3rd year of Law School -74-75+ - we lived near Union and Hyde - where the original Swensens opened in 1948. We also liked Bud's ice cream when we lived in SF.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Here's wishing for whatever is needed where you are, be it rain or snow!
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately - no badly needed rain on the horizon here in So Cal.

Fyi - continued to be in the 80's here in San Diego - along the coast - and warmer inland - 91 in El Cajon yesterday. We are having "Santa Annas" - the "Devil Winds" - which blow from the desert during high pressure rotations, etc. Dry but not humid and again, I submit, rarely do we have much significant humidity here in San Diego.

Temp is supposed to moderate back to the mid 70's for the next week/rest of Jan - but sadly - no rain in the forecast.

Northern California reservoirs are down to 20% capacity, which we really need to be higher.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 05:57 AM

Tomsd,

I am sure there are many days when you are thanking God you are in San Diego and all of us understand that. I am sorry you have decided there isn't much humidity near the ocean.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - most people don't think there is.

Enjoy sultry Ft. Lauderdale.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 07:36 AM

>>Northern California reservoirs are down to 20% capacity
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Stu -I was thinking more about the likes of Shasta Lake - further north - which is about 37% of capacity?

More properly stated - it's the snowpack that is about 20% of normal - and I believe we are in the middle of the worst drought in 100 plus years here in California.

Think our Governor - "Moonbeam"- has just declared an emergency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -