Summerville, SC anyone? Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BIL is considering a positiion near Summerville and asked if I would query my fellow fodorites for people with personal info about the place. What is it like, is it a good place to live, the usual things that would interest a potential resident. He is a DDS and the kids are all grown and have lives of their own, so that is not an issue.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Near Summerville could be one of a number of communities, each with their own flavor. Is there an SIL? What does he like to do/what's important in selecting some place to live? Where is he living now?

I looked at Summerville when I moved to SC, but ended up in Walterboro 30 minutes away, mostly since I couldn't find a house that worked. Afraid I haven't been back since, just through, so I can't really help you with other than generalities about the area.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

birgator - yes there is a SIL. Generalities would be fine. He is going down there for a 3 or 4 days next month to look around but is looking for more input from folks like you who actually live and have a feel for the area. Right now he lives in an area that could be called upper middle class, not the McMansion thing, and I suppose he would be looking for something similar as far as housing. He has a practice in MD and has taught endodontics at several Universities.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:53 AM

Hey basingstoke2. I'm not in Summerville, but I have friends who live there. I think the main thing to look at is where your BIL wants to practice. It's a tough commute from Summerville into Charleston. If he wants to practice in Summerville it might be okay. If he wants to live in Summerville and practice in Charleston, he might hate life during rush hours.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi suewoo, I think it is about joining a practice in that area - I don't think he plans to commute to Charleston. Do you have any idea of what that area is like?
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:23 AM

Yeah, it's a pretty little small town. There are lots of people just like him who have moved there from off (read "Up North"). There are some lovely neighborhoods and some trailer parks.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:10 PM

Summerville is well located, probably its best feature. It's really close to Charleston, 29 minutes with no traffic, with all its cultural amenities, beaches, dining, fishing, etc. Close to the airport, close to the interstate, close to excellent major medical facilities, etc.

Summerville itself has a lovely town square, lots of green, some cute shops, Walmart, the Woodlands which is a spectacular inn with top notch cuisine. Because of its proximity to the air base, you will find clusters of off-base families living in tight developments. North Charleston/Ladson pretty much run into the southern part of Summerville. You will find a pretty good Publix in that less affluent area. There is a Trader Joe's coming to Mt. Pleasant some time this summer. Other than the Woodlands, dining is best saved for Charleston.

He will probably find that the price of housing is not unlike MD (depending on how close to DC or Balto he may be) but the cost of municipal services and taxes can be lower. I believe the crime rate is fairly low, higher on property than violence.

Overall, I love the area. It's civilized, and you will find that most folks are invariably polite and have good manners. That doesn't mean they're warm and fuzzy -- he will probably find that he will associate mostly with other newcomers unless he takes an active role in the community and/or a church. Even so, interacting with the "natives" is not that different from any small town in most states -- requires a slew of ancestors in the local cemetery.

The pace is slower. That means the Burger King drive through may take much longer than he thinks it should. It means that the cashier at the supermarket may chitchat with the customer in front of him for what seems an inordinately long time. On the other hand, if you leave your ATM card in the machine, chances are someone will bring it into the bank.

South Carolinians are not the best of drivers -- get used to the fact that their turn signals can sometimes come on a mile before they actually turn, slowing to a crawl way too soon. Watch center lane turns, that seems to be accident laden wherever I go.

I find the area quite dog friendly, by the way. And I like having something bloom all year round -- great for gardening. Lots of marvelous outdoor activities of course.

In all, I'd say quality of life is exceptional, both in this small town but also for the proximity to both Charleston and Savannah, as well as to Asheville and Atlanta.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi birgator - that is great info. Thanks
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM

Wait a minute! I'm a great driver! it's the people from off lol, who don't know where they are going!

And that's correct. Natives can be wary of newcomers, which dates back to Reconstruction. Many people have forgotten about carpetbaggers, but there are those who never will. I think sometimes people are surprised when they move here that people aren't as happy to see them as anticipated. Your BIL really needs to visit and spend some time before making such a big decision.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:42 AM

I would second birgator's note that church affiliation is often extremely important in the South, sometimes more so in small towns, but lots more protestants seem to go to church in the South generally than in the north. The church is a social locus, and, in my experience, sometimes can have an influence on your career. There are "power churches" in many communities which are attended by the local great and good, i.e., community leaders. These are usually mainstream churches rather than the much larger community churches.

This could be quite a cultural surprise for people from some other parts of the country, and it does shock Europeans and especially British, most of whom have long since given up religious practice.

It's different for Roman Catholics, but they are a relatively small minority in the South.