Reload this Page >

Summer Weekend Getaway

Search

Summer Weekend Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Leigh

Summer Weekend Getaway

This is a very broad question. It is our 5th wedding anniversary at the beginning of next August, and we would like to go on a long weekend in the US. Any suggestions for a romantic, not-too-touristy, relaxing, not-too-hot and humid destination? We are only going for 3 nights and don't want to take on too much. I need to plan this far in advance due to work. Thanks!

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 04:31 AM
Penny

Well, it's not U.S., but what about Montreal? Or Quebec City? In Montreal, you could stay at a nice room downtown--say, in the Queen Elizabeth--and walk most places. Dining's great. The foreign flavor makes it seem romantic.

I've never been to Quebec City but people rave about it.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 05:03 AM
Beth2

Two east coast suggestions that would fit your bill:
Cliffside Inn in Newport, RI
(Fly into Providence)
Black Point Inn in Scarborough, Maine
(Fly into Manchester, NH)

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:43 AM
xxx

Are you traveling from the East or West Coast? It makes a huge difference when you are only budgeting 3 days. No need to spend all that time on a plane back and forth across the nation.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 03:23 PM
Leigh

I'm traveling out of Minneapolis, MN

Leigh

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:13 PM
C

Hi, Leigh, we went to Montreal for our anniversary this past year..we go in August just about every year..It is cooler there, a wide variety of country/city things to do,great food, the people are all very friendly and helpful,you can hike,bike,boat,walk,antique,shop.. the dollar is nice right now~We stayed in the Le Germain, they have a web page..something to think about-You really do plan in advance, don't you!

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:16 PM
c

Leigh, after reading more carefully,I realize that a three night vacation might not be a great idea for going to Montreal..it fills all the criteria but it is a little far ... good luck, and Happy 5th !C

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 07:43 AM
Dottie

If you're flying, Quebec City is wonderful and you could stay in Old Quebec inside the walls!! We loved just walking around! If you're driving, I suggest Door County. WI. We liked Sister Bay and Fish Creek, but if you go, stay somewhere with waterfront.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Laurie

We love Door County but it is very touristy and crowded in the summer. But maybe you could find a nice B&B in a more quiet location. I wouldn't suggest Fish Creek or Sister Bay (eventhough I like them) since they are the busiest and seem to have the most children.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Paul

Hi Leigh,

I live in the Detroit area, and I know that Northwest Air is compatible between Minneapolis and Detroit for inexpensive flights. I would suggest that you fly into Detroit, then drive (5 hours) or fly (connecting flight) to Traverse City, and relax on their beautiful bays. Beautiful small towns surround that area. Hill country, wine country, warm waters, Lake Michigan, sand dunes, antiques, restaurants, great biking paths (you can rent a bike) excellent swimming and beaches, and on and on…

Let me know if you would like more info.

Oh, and stay at either The Pinestead Reef (timeshare rentals, kitchens, etc.) or The Beach Haus (lovely hotel).

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:01 AM
xxx

a small town on the oregon coast

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Doris

Mendocino or Carmel, Calif. Also, Santa Fe is kind of touristy, but really pretty and fun.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
Canwa

I would go to Portland Oregon and stay at the Heathman Hotel. Portland's small enough for a three day weekend. And if you go in the mid summer, the temperate should be just right!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:26 AM
Susan

I'd think that if you only have three days you'd want to fly to a destination and *be there*, not have to drive three more hours. So, I'd suggest Seattle, where the weather will be good, not too hot or humid, and there's lots to do, great restaurants, lovely hotels, etc. Or San Francisco, or Los Angeles, or San Diego. Is there anywhere you've been dying to go?