Notices

Summer USA Trip

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer USA Trip

Hey everyone! My sister and I are planning a trip to some states in terms of both leisure and looking at their universities. We will be going for a few weeks and are planning to go during June. We live in California (LA) and we are mainly picking out states based on Sights, Culture, and Food options. We are mainly looking towards the southern states such as; Texas, LA, Tennessee, and Georgia. While those are what we are mainly going for, I want to know what other States you people would recommend to visit. It can be anywhere in the US not just in the South, but I want to hear some other opinions on states to visit and why you chose those particular states. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

If there is anything you need clarified please let me know!
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Were you looking at the flexablity of driving your own car, or maybe taking a train for part of your trip and then renting a car in Texas or New Mexico? Research which universities you would want to visit with an eye to what course of study. The Amtrak Sunset Limited is down to 2 trains a week out of Los Angeles (Sunday & Thursday). If you go on the Sunset Limited, you could go as far as San Antonio in about 29 hours.
Another train out of LA is the daily Southwest Chief which you could take as far as Albuquerque NM. The University of NM is in ABQ.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=tomfuller;16895155]Were you looking at the flexablity of driving your own car, or maybe taking a train for part of your trip and then renting a car in Texas or New Mexico? ”

I am planning on taking a plane wherever I am going first, then taking a train to the other states.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=butterfingers;16895214]
Originally Posted by tomfuller View Post
Were you looking at the flexablity of driving your own car, or maybe taking a train for part of your trip and then renting a car in Texas or New Mexico? ”

I am planning on taking a plane wherever I am going first, then taking a train to the other states.
Have you considered which universities you're interested in? I would think that's the biggest criteria, not sights, food and culture. You can certainly make a tourist trip out of a university scouting trip, but you really should have an idea of which universities are on the list first, then find things to do in their vicinity. You kind of have it backwards.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. My plan would be to fly to Atlanta GA and rent a car to see whichever universities you want in the SE US. Return the car in Atlanta early in the morning and take the Amtrak Crescent all the way to New Orleans and rent a car there. When you are done seeing universities in LA you might want to visit at least one in Alabama.
Return the car to New Orleans and take the "City of New Orleans" north to Memphis to see your favored Tennessee universities. If you still want to see Texas, you can go north on the CONO to Chicago and then take the Texas Eagle to San Antonio. Depending on how much you enjoy the train travel, you might choose to ride the combined Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited back to Los Angeles or fly home from San Antonio or DFW.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

To the person asking about which universities I am interested in: University of the South, University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Houston university, University of Tennessee. For the NE: Boston U, NYU, U Penn, university of Vermont, Virginia Tech.

The reason for my trip is split 50/50; Tourism, and seeing the universities. Please tell me your opinions on which parts/states in America are worth the visit alongside the reason why. Thanks again.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Also thank you Tomfueller for your advice on getting around when I get to the states.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 08:26 AM

Getting around by train in the South will be difficult and expensiver. Do you drive?
Most especially getting to the University of the South will require a car.
You might want to add Virginia Tech to your southern tour.
Fly to Houston. See the school.
Fly to Atlanta. See the schools
Taka a bus or drive to Knoxville. See University. Go to Sewanee by car.
Go to Virginia Tech.
Fly home.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 08:28 AM
J62

"Please tell me your opinions on which parts/states in America are worth the visit alongside the reason why"

UT & AZ national parks
CA (Sierra Nevada) for mountains
MN: 10,000 lakes.
ME: rugged coastline & beaches
FL: beaches, Disneyworld
NV: gambling, etc.
SD: Mt Rushmore
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't consider Texas a southern state, it has a whole separate culture. It is also a very good idea to have a car in Texas. They do have some good schools.
My late husband went to UVA (University of Virginia) in Charlottesville which is a very good school but not cheap. Virginia has a lot of history and culture IMO although it is not what I would consider Deep South.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I really am not clear if you want to travel or visit colleges or eat well or what. The US (I am taking a wild guess that you are from somewhere else in the world originally) is a HUGE country with breathtaking national and local parks and sights.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Hey Gretchen I think you’re right in that it would be more cost efficient to drive around. And yes I do drive. So renting a car would be a good idea then thanks! And also Yes I am born here, raised here, and I am a proud patriot. More patriotic than most other people living in Los Angeles it seems...
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 03:21 AM

Good that you can drive 'cause even if you get to these cities, public transportation may be difficult within some of them. Do you have a budget and timeline for this trip? Also if you are visiting the colleges you will want to schedule a formal visit with a guide..
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Do you have a budget and timeline for this trip? Also if you are visiting the colleges you will want to schedule a formal visit with a guide..[/QUOTE]

Yes for a timeline, 10-14 days anytime in either June or July. As for the budget, a maximum amount would be $2000 not including the plane tickets.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
>>a maximum amount would be $2000
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

“Is that per person or for both of you?”

Oh no thats per person of course. $4000 in total sorry for the lack of clarification
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 02:19 AM

A lot of car rental companies still don't rent to those under age 25.

Look into that before you buy your plane ticket .
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 07:37 PM

I don’t know what criteria you are using in choosing your list of colleges but given your priorities for your travel, I’d add College of Charleston to the list. I can’t think of another place that would tick your sights, culture, and food boxes as well.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
I don’t know what criteria you are using in choosing your list of colleges but given your priorities for your travel, I’d add College of Charleston to the list. I can’t think of another place that would tick your sights, culture, and food boxes as well.
I am mainly going for colleges that offer good medical/biology programs, have a nice campus, and are in a good area (Good both as in safe and fun and lots to do). Out of the South, North East, North West, Or Midwest, what would you people recommend that i should visit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO