Reload this Page >

summer trip to the southeast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:07 AM
cindy

My husband and I would like to travel through Virgina, the Carolinas and Georgia this summer. We will have 2-3 weeks. We are esp interested in Civil War sites and museums, history museums, interesting houses, and anything naval. What are some 'must sees', and some little known places, and what are some things to avoid. We will be traveling by car.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 09:22 AM
chuck

If you're especially interested in naval history, I know the Portsmouth/Norfolk area of Virginia would be great, although I have not spent much time there.

In South Carolina, you should definitely visit Charleston (Fort Sumter, the Hunley, etc.).

In North Carolina, Fort Fisher (just south of Wilmington) is a civil war site with a museum--along the shore near the mouth of the Cape Fear River.

I know there are many other places, especially in Atlanta, but these two would be worthwhile, especially if you are taking a coastal route. Also, you may want to consider early summer (May or June) for best weather and avoidence of hurricanes.

Have a great time!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 10:58 AM
ncgrrl

The largest surrender of troops (I think, or maybe it's some type of compound modifer) occured at Bennett Place in Durham, NC. There is a re-enactment in April every year.

The State of Virginia has a map on civil war trails and routes the troops took. I picked up one at a Virginia tourism office so I guess you could get one from their online site. Richmond, Va., has a civil war museum.

I agree on visiting Ft. Sumter and the Hunley.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Melanie

Check out Nauticus in Norfolk (www.nauticus.org). This was a really neat museum, and the downtown Norfolk area was interesting also. We spent a day there but you could probably use a couple of days. We didn't go to any of the musuems in Hampton Roads, but they might be of interest also.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Susan

In addition to Nauticus, there are also boat tours that go past the naval shipyard. They used to let you go onto the base but I'm not sure they do that anymore. The boat tours go from Nauticus and also from a site next to the air and space museum in Hampton. There is also a dinner or brunch cruise out of Norfolk, The Spirit of Norfolk, that takes you past the yard. In Newport News, there is a great Mariners Museum. If in Wmsbg, drive the entire parkway. There are often boats docked at the weapons station. Wmsbg is 1 hour from Norfolk. Hampton and Newport News in between. The Shenandoah Valley area has quite a few Civil War site. You could tour that area, move onto Charlottesville and Monticello (the ultimate interesting house) and then to Williamsburg and the Hampton Roads area.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Kristina

If you liked the movie Fried Green Tomatoes and you make it as far as Macon Georgia, you might like to go by Lake Juliette. That's where the movie was filmed. The Whistle Stop Cafe is still open & really does have the best Fried Green Tomatoes around. Don't miss Stone Mountain just southeast of Atlanta. There are some pretty drives in northeast Georgia as well.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:40 AM
southernbelle

Some great Civil War sites can be found north of Atlanta - Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield is one site (Kennesaw is famous for "The General" locomotive which was "stolen" during the war); Marietta has a wonderful museum downtown with lots of Civil War info; lots of other towns headed north too with Civil War museums, sites, markers, etc. - Cartersville, Tunnel Hill, Resaca. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 10:44 AM
x

You might consider gold mining in the Helena (?), GA area.