Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Summer Girls Weekend away on Maine Coast - where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 women in our late 40’s and early to mid fifties looking for a girl’s weekend away along the Maine coast between York and Boothbay Harbor in July or August. We have eliminated Old Orchard Beach as we do not like the honky tonk flavor of the area.

We are looking for a hotel, motel, cabin or cottage for a 2-3 night stay. At minimum, we want a clean place with a refrigerator and coffee maker. If we got a microwave that would be great; kitchenette a bonus. A place with some sort of living area apart from the bedroom would be a bonus. Since the beach water of Maine is notoriously cold a pool would be high on our list as well. If continental breakfast is served that is a plus but not necessary. We don’t mind a place where we do our own housekeeping. We will stay on budget by bringing breakfast and lunch foods and some beverages to enjoy in our room.

We want to be on or near a beach also. Our price point caps out at about $150 per night, less would be better. The accommodations need not be fancy, just mainly clean, in a safe area and reputable.

During the day we hope to spend our time at the beach, pool and exploring a town’s shops and just relaxing, catching up and enjoying each other’s company.

In the evening, we enjoy dining out and some nightlife, though we are not big partiers, but would like to have some drinks and maybe dancing if available. We also want to avoid driving when we are out in the evening so a trolley or taxi cabs will be our mode of transportation in the evening.

I am looking for specific recommendations of a town to be in, as well as accommodations, restaurants and nightlife. Staying within our budget for accommodations is the most important factor.

I am thinking of York beach, Ogunquit, Wells, Saco, Biddeford, Kennebunk and Boothbay but am open to suggestions. I don't know if any one of those will fit our requirements best or if there are other towns I should consider.

Let me know if you need other information. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$150 per person or for all three of you? July and August in Maine is high season, and though Old Orchard Beach is honky-tonk, yes....most other areas you mention will also be crowded, full of kids, with traffic, and may already be sold out.

Also, Maine is mostly Rocky coast, not beach....so for beach areas you can consider Long Beach in York (also a bit honky tonky...I wouldn't )....Ogunquit, or maybe Goose Rocks Beach near Kennebunkport.

If you could wait until after Labor Day, you'd still have good weather and would get more for your money plus have an easier time finding availability.

PS Scratch Saco and Biddeford, and look at Boothbay only if you can bear to give up sunbathing in favor of kayaking and sea-shelling.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 03:28 AM

I have been doing my own research since I am planning a trip to Maine myself. I have settled on Ogunquit but I am still trying to pick a place to stay. Kennebunckport looks nice but pricey so not an option for me.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 03:45 AM

We stayed at the Dunes in Ogunquit last June. They offer a variety of accomodations from true motel to "motel" which is actually part of a cottage to full kitchen cottages. Great quiet area on the water just far enough off rt 1 (long driveway) to be quiet. Wonderful lawn and paths for evening strolls. We had a microwave and fridge (I think!) and separate LR area plus adirondack chairs and table outside our door. But even off season rates were over your budget.

Last Sept our group of 4 friends stayed on the Cape in a little beach side cottage that slept 4 with a full kitchen. Instead of evening entertainment we enjoyed wine by the beach, playing card games and talking. We cooked in one night and had a light chowder supper (take-out) the next. If you figure in the savings from doing some of your own cooking and not got out at night (i.e. theater tickets), you might be able to up your budget for lodgings.

If you could stay as far north as Lincolnville (north of Camden) we've stayed at Glenmoor by the Sea. We were not on the water though. Loved the units near the road.

The other thing is to give up your beach requirements and stay in Portland. Lots to do.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Color me confused. $150 a night for 3 people, so 3 beds, plus beachfront, plus pool,plus a seperate living area, plus a kitchennete, plus no night minimum on a weekend in high season? Also realize that many places are double occupancy and charge an additional fee for a third person.

You might find something right on Rt 1 in the Wells/Ogunquit area, but nothing beachfront or ocean view. And I think Ogunquit would be a great place to focus your search.

Goodluck