suggestions on itinerary

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
Tracie

suggestions on itinerary

We are planning a RV trip from Ohio to Yellowstone in Aug. We have two boys age 12 and 9 and my in-laws in their 60's. Along the way we plan to stop at Mt. Rushmore then to Yellowstone on to Grand Teton then to Bryce and possibly Lake Powell. We have 17 days. Any suggestions on RV parks, how long to spend where, activities, must sees, and scenic routes would be appreciated.. Happy traveling all

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
rqf

Mt. Rushmore - requires only a few hours
Yellowstone - 2 or 3 days
Grand Tetons - 1 to 2 days
Since you intend visiting Bryce - two days at most unless you intend to do extensive hiking. While in the area consider includinig Zion 80 or so miles south of Bryce - two days. From Zion it is a short ride to Lake Powell. Two days unless you expect to rent a houseboat.
Heading back east Grand Canyon if you have never visited. Or head for Monument Valley - less than a full day. Then on to MOab (Arches and Canyonlands) for two or three days.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Dayle

Hi Tracie! I grew up camping for family vacations & now live in Utah. I think your other reply is forgetting about drive times. My recommendation would be to just do Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & town of Jackson, then on to Bryce & maybe Zion. Southern Utah & Grand Canyon are HOT in August & I don 't think you really have time for them.

Be sure to get reservations for camping in the Natl Parks. Go to the web site for info. If you don't want to plan ahead, arrive at the campgrounds BEFORE 9am, it will be your best hope of a spot.

Suggest a whitewater raft trip on the Snake River in Jackson, or a tamer "float trip". Lots of nice easy hikes & canoeing/kayaking on the small takes in Teton Natl Park. Take time to see lots of geyers in Yellowstone - they are worth the wait. Visitor's center can give you predictions on estimated eruption times. Definitely hike in Bryce, the hoodoos are awesome up close & personal. Bryce is at 8000 ft. elevation, so it's really nice in August. Zion will be about 100 degrees, but DRY, like they say....

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Dayle

Oh, extra tip: at your first Natl Park buy a "season pass". It costs $50 & gets you in to all Natl Parks & other monuments for a full year. Big $ savings.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Connie

Since you are coming in from the north east to Yellowstone, come by way of Red Lodge and enter the north east entrance. The Bear Tooth highway has been called the most scenic highway in the country.

Be sure to take 3-4 days to see Yellowstone. If you just drive through you will miss SO MUCH. You can see the Tetons in a day.

Take time to spend in Jackson. It's a great town to walk around in and shop.

I would stay inside Yellowstone. You will spend a lot of your day just getting to things inside the park if you stay outside. There is only one Rv park inside with hooks called Fishing Bridge but I wouldn't stay there because they pack you in like sardines. Canyon and Grant Village are a lot more like camping--you're in the woods. Lots of RVs stay in those campgrounds.

I would also recommend driving north instead of south. Glacier National Park and Waterton Park just over the Canadian border are SPECTACULAR. It's easy to get into Canada and fun doing it. The little town of Waterton is charming.

Make reservations soon.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Connie

When you at Mt Rushmore, be sure to see in the day time and then go back for the night ceremony. Its worth it. There is a good KOA close by.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:50 AM
CF

God love you girl, going camping in an RV with that many people. I admire you! I'd go nuts. LOL