Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for relaxing around Las Vegas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
This is my first posting, so wasn't sure about heading. Family of 4, son is 18 and going off to college, so this is definatly his last trip with us ;o(, and i wanted it to be special.
I have planned the following and would love any input.
1. 4 days at mirage in LS, with day trips to red rock, valley of fire, ect...
in evening i have show tickets for "o" tickets and blue man group (for daughter of 14)and we will visit various freebies around area.
2. 2 days in sedona, ar. I haven't booked a tour yet.
3. 1 day inside the grand canyon at thunderbird inn.
Then we have 2 days left. (because of air fair prices)
I would like to suprise them with a day on lake mead, on a boat.
I cannot find anyplace to stay for those 2 days. I need to relax and unwind and do not want to have to stay back in vegas.
I know this is long, sorry way to much caffiene. ;o)
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Why don't you try Lake Powell. It is a LOT more scenic than Lake Mead and there is lodging right next to the lake. The all day boat tour to Rainbow Bridge is my favorite. They serve lunch on the boat and also stop at a marina to buy ice cream if it's hot.

http://www.lakepowell.com/?source=overture

My pictures on the boat trip:

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id4.html

The route up to Lake Powell and around back to Las Vegas is 140 miles farther but you will pass some very beautiful scenery and you can also drive thought Zion. Try and make time to ride the free Zion shuttle bus into the scenic canyon.

Utahtea

Utahtea

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:37 AM

If you decide to go the Lake Mead National Recreation area you can stay in Boulder City, which is only about a 4 mile distance. From Las Vegas to Boulder City is about 30 miles, if that. Boulder City has a Best Western Lighthouse Inn and Resort, and a Super 8 Motel. I remember there were a few motels near the marina on the lake, but I can't recall their names. Once there you can swim, hike, picnic, etc.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I think I read on one of the other vegas posts that the mirage's pool was closing for a period of time for repairs. you might want to make sure it is going to be open when you are there.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Tansy knows when the pool reopens at the Mirage...don't you Tansy? ;-)
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

"Part" of the Mirage pool is open now but the whole thing is scheduled to be open "mid-May".
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Vegas is not fun for someone who is 18 (trust me on this)- he can't drink or gamble, but he can go to strip clubs, but if he's with his parents, what's the fun of that?
That's my input.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Parents usually can tell what their kids think is special. My kids enjoyed going on vacation with us even after they moved out of the house at age 19.

The whole round trip including Lake Powell and Zion is only 900 and for a 10 day trip that's not bad at all.

Utahtea
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

thank-you all that replied.

Yes the pool will be open in June.
We love to drive, 5 hours is nothing. Last summer we spent 3 weeks driving from hometown of michigan to grand tetons,wyoming, loving every minute.
I just wanted to unwind the last 2 days and picnic, and boat, swim,. I will look into boulder city area. Husband is dying to rent boat he can drive on lake mead. So watch out.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM

I agree with utahtea. Our two teens still LOVE traveling with us, and they're waaaay 'cool' LOLOLOL

Seriously, part of it is what they're used to, what they grow up with. And our cross country adventures are just GREAT fun. There's nothing quite like schlepping in and out of different hotels almost every night!!! We laugh ALOT. Even daughter audrey kicks back and relaxs

Now that our son "rusty" is starting college, i was thrilled that he still wants to travel with us. In fact, one of our two-night stays on this summers adventure will be a mini "Vegas Vacation" at rusty's request. Hmmm.....maybe he wants to become "Mr. Pappagiorgio" again........

I'm sure you'll have a great time gypsygirls!