Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Maui/Kauai accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Lenleigh

So far, looking at a few options for stays on Maui and Kauai. Would like a nicer hotel/resort with nice/comfy/clean/updated rooms, decent beach (hopefully with swimable water), pool...Seem to be winding myself in circles reading reviews/etc... For people that have been, any comments on the following hotels/recommendations of others? Does anyone have photos of their stays at some of these places?

Kauai
Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation
Hyatt
Princeville
Marriott

Maui
Outrigger Wilea
Fairmont Kea Lani
...?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Nova

I suggest that you first decide what part of each island you want to be in. THEN select a property in that part of the island.

For aerial photos of hotels and condos go to: www.wizardpub.com

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Sarah

ditto nova

only I never find any use in the aerial photos.

Also depends on how long you are staying. Why aren't you looking at condos? You get more space at a cheaper price. Remember staying in a hotel room is kind of like being stuck in a bedroom. Love the Hyatt but would not would not stay beyond jet lag.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:17 AM
chloecat

We stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai and absolutely loved it. It helps if price is no object as it was the most expensive hotel on our trip. The service was terrific, polite and helpful, always available. The grounds and pools were wonderful. The Hyatt is on the Poipu "sunshine" beach-- so the weather was always pleasant.

The north end of the island was spectacular-- more scenic but also more remote. We had cocktails at the Princeville as we watched the sunset over the cliffs-- one of the highlights of our trip. The Princeville, however did seem a bit dated, compared with the bright open architecture of the Hyatt.

On Maui, we stayed at the Renaissance on Wailea beach. For us, it was a great cost saving break as we were able to use our Marriott points for a free room and upgrade for a nominal fee. It was by far the best actual room. Wailea beach was fantastic-- we snorkled every day and loved the beach. The renaissance itself was OK-- after the Hyatt, almost everything would pale in comparison I think, except maybe the Grand Wailea. If price were not a consideration, the Grand Wailea would be my number one pick for Maui.

Hope that helps!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Lenleigh

Nova, sorry just haven't found your posts very helpful. I bought the Frommers Hawaii 2003 book months ago, I have been reading reviews and rants/raves about properties. The reason why I am asking the question is because I am reading conflicting info. The Hyatt sounds nice but doesn't have a swimable beach, The princeville sounds nice but extremly overpriced, the marriott sounds nice but is close to the airport and is in/near a working harbor. I would rather stay at a place that has nice if not luxurious accomodations, a decent beach to swim in...Which is why I am asking for those that have the input. I can always rent a car to see the rest of the island.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Brenda

Lenleigh,
On Kauai if you want to be on a swimmable beach, I would suggest the Kiahuna Plantation , which you have on your list, or the Sheraton, which is next door to Kiahuna. In fact, they share the same beach, which in my opinion, is one of the best swimmable beaches in the Poipu area. Nice sandy cresent beach, managable waves, good whale viewing in season. I go to this beach every year. If you consider the Kiahuna, you will be staying in individuallly owned condos, that may vary from one to another. I believe that they are clean and conmfortable, but not especially luxurious, as a big resort might be. Also Kiahuna does not have a pool, if that is important to you. The Sheraton is ocean front, rooms closer in fact to the water than rooms at the Hyatt, but you have to ask for oceanfront. Garden rooms are in a back building across the street. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:24 AM
x

lenleigh. don't know what you've read about kauai, but the hyatt is on ship wreck beach, which is both picturesque and "swimmable." don't know when you're going, but the waters of the south end of the island are the calmest in the winter.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Lenleigh

x:

Under the Hotel Rants/Raves section for the Hyatt on Kauai, there are at least five different comments about how choppy the water is and that it is not very easy to swim in. I am sure there are more complaints that that but I did read any further. Almost all of the most recent 6 comments towards the top said the same thing.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM
sunnyside

Kea Lani is the most beautiful property in Wailea Maui, which is the more quiet part of Maui. Oh it's so gorgeous, I cant wait to go in MAY.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Maggi

We have some pictures of the Princeville Hotel pool, bar and beach on Webshots. Click on: http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Rob

Lenleigh, the BEST beaches are on the beautiful North Shore, not too far from the Princeville, and the water in front of the Princeville is pretty calm, too. And Tunnels and Anini Beaches are not that far from there as well. The Princeville is really your best bet. The Junior Suite is the way to go and it is VERY fairly priced in comparison to other Hawaii hotels (but no balcony, only floor to ceiling windows)! And, while the Hyatt also really is quite a gorgeous property, the beach there IS too rough for swimming/wading, unless you're a body surfer which I'm sure you're not! Again, go with the Princeville -- and remember, there will always be SOMEBODY complaining about something that YOU will not complain about!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:53 PM
cath

Hyatt always has a red flag out to warn swimmers away. I have never seen a green or yellow flag posted there. Water is choppy, not fun for leisrely swimming. Calm beach at Poipu Beach Park is about 5 minutes by car. But it's a beautiful resort nevertheless. And the manmade swimming lagoon is great fun.

I really like the Marriott. The harbor activities won't detract from your stay, it's actually scenic to see the cruise ships glide in. The beach is calm, has shade and lots of sand. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is the biggest in Hawaii (but has no slides or "action" features.)

Kiahuna Plantation doesn't have its own pool but the garden pool (not the oceanfront pool, though) at the Sheraton is available for Kiahuna guests....about a 5 minute walk depending upon where your condo is.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
T

Shipwreck beach isn't swimmable. Unles youre a local who knows this beach like your left hand. The Princeville is the nicest resort in the nicest area of Kauai.
For Maui the nicest resorts on nice beaches in the Wailea area are Fairmont Kea Lani, Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. In Kaanapali/Lahaina area its the Hyatt, the Sheraton, the WEstin or if you want luxury condos the Alii.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Andy

My favorite place to stay is the Kea Lani! You get a luxury suite with a huge bathroom, nice pools, a great swimmable beach, and the service and food is good. I love the Hyatt in Kauai. The landscaping and pools are out of this world, but the beach there is dangerous. The rooms are not as nice as the Kea Lani, but I still like them. I agree on Kauai that the Shearton has the best beach to swim in, but the hotel is not as awesome as the Hyatt. Also, the Four Seasons and Grand Waliea looked awesome, but I didn't stay there. Grand Waliea caters to family and Four Seasons to honeymooners. I think that the Kea Lani is a better value for your money. That is why we stayed there.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Jim Rogers

The only place to stay on Maui is the Kaanapali Alii. It is right on the beach, great pool, grounds, etc. It is not cheap, but we go with another couple which halves the cost. There are a couple of private party rentals where you don't go through the on-site property manager. They are cheaper than the manager, but the two we have seen don't have the best views. However, we never spend much time in the unit so the view is not really important. We recently stayed in a two bedroom totally remodeled unit for $300 per night. We are going back in October for 10 days. The people we travel with have been there every year for the last ten. The complex has no bar or restaurant, but you have charging privileges at the Marriott and Shearton. The Alii sits in between them both and is a short walk to Whaler Village. The lack of on-site bar and restaurant makes for a much quieter time. If I could afford to buy a unit I would. I think the cheapest on the market is $700k.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Lenleigh

Rob - lol I could be, you never know.

Thanks for all the great info, I was pretty sure I had read correct about the beach in front of the Hyatt. I am not totally sure of Kauai yet but am definitly looking at the Kea lani on Maui(read so many great reviews about it). Thanks everyone!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:16 AM
jan

Definitely stay at Kea Lani - it was gorgeous and I would definitely rate above Four Seasons. Have a great time!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Rob

Yes, Lenleigh, I suppose you could possibly be a bodysurfer, but I doubt it, especially in light of your calm water criteria! By the way, the Hyatt also has a very nice, man-made, calm lagoon (w/sand) directly adjacent to the beach area, in case that's an option for you! Either way, you should definitely visitt both properties to see which one you might possibly want to return to sometime in the future! And don't forget to post a trip report for us upon your return!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Lenleigh

Thanks for the info! I will definitly have a full trip report and tons of pics when we get back (whenever that is)!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Patsy

just back from Kauai, Maui & the Big Island. We loved Kiahuna Plantation on Kauai - very comfortable condos, full kitchens, lanais. No matter where you are (garden or ocean view), you're just a short walk to a wonderful, swimmable beach (our daughter took a surfing lesson there - just enough surf to learn on but not dangerous); we could use the Sheraton pool next door -the properties adjoin. Terrific shopping center across the street - we walked - for shopping and restaurants. Plantation Gardens, the restaurant on site at the Plantation was SO good we went twice. Not cheap, but not out of line. Fabulous food. Our favorite breakfast was at Joe's on the Green at the golf course nearby. We also picked up groceries for snacks & breakfasts for some days, but didn't want to really cook, so all dinners were at restaurants. All in all, Poipu was a terrific location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -