Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

suggestions for lunch near the Plaza, Central Park south?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would a New Yorker go for lunch in Midtown with family this coming Saturday? Ideally, walking distance from the Plaza Hotel where we're going to rendezvous... We're seeking a good place to eat and talk.... all suggestions highly appreciated!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
What price point? How many? What ages?
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Good questions... Two couples, all in our 50s/60s. One of us is vegetarian. Ideal price point would be "moderate" ... we're looking for comfort and informality, but excellent food and service would make it perfect. This is probably asking too much. If you think of an idea spot somewhere else, well, we have cab fare. Thank you!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Several high-line places have prix-fixe lunches in the range of $25 to $30 plus beverages, tax and tip. Among others, there are Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Columbus Circle, and Nougatine, adjacent to Jean-Georges Vongerichten's flagship in the Trump International Hotel on the other side of Columbus Circle. Both can probably accommodate a vegetarian, but it would be wise to call ahead and inquire. Many other choices. What kind of food appeals to you?
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I agree with BSpiel Nougatine, a great value for lunch.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

My wife wants to clarify: she's "semi" vegetarian; eats chicken and fish (no red meat, no pork). In answer to bspielman: Eclectic in our food choices. Two places that now look good to us in addition to the suggestions above are Sarabeths and an espresso joint that does all things Swedish: Fika. Sarab is next door to the Plaza; Fika is one block south. Anyone else who wants to chime in, we are all ears (and all stomachs). Many thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Neither of the places you mention is of the caliber of Nougatine or Asiate. Your wife will have no trouble with either of these restaurant's offerings.

Here are some others a cab ride from the Plaza: Tocqueville, Gramercy Tavern, Gotham Bar and Grill, Eleven Madison Park, among many others.

The latter (EMP) just received four stars from The New York Times and offers a two-course prix-fixe lunch for $28 and a three-course for $42. You can't do much better than this.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM

We also have found Nougatine one of NY's best bargain prix fixe lunches - $26 - always with interesting choices. when you call the Jean George number for a reservation - make sure to mention it is for Nougatine.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'd have lunch at Le Pain Quotidien, where you can get excellent open-face French-style sandwiches with many vegetarian options. Lunch will cost about $20 or so per person. It's very relaxed, not a formal restaurant at all, but quite good for lunch on a weekend. It's about 3 blocks from the Plaza. There are a lot of them in Manhattan, but the one I'm talking about is on the corner of 7th Avenue and 57th Street, 2 long blocks from the Plaza Hotel.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM

I'm not a big Nougatine fan and I think it would be ideal for what you describe. For $26 you get 2 courses (you can chose which 2) and there are plenty of options. http://www.jean-georges.com/

I also really love Asiate on the 35th floor of the Time Warner building but on Sat. I believe they serve brunch not lunch which is pricey at ~ $50/person for 3 courses. If you're put off by these 2 because you think they won't be casual enough, don't worry. They are.

But I also think Le Pain Quotidien is a good idea if you really want something more casual and I think it's a lot better than Sarabeth's. Sarabeth's will be loaded with kids and is really better for brunch type food (pancakes, waffles etc.) imo.

Another nice spot is Petrossian. They also have a prix fixe menu http://www.petrossian.com/index.php?...=41&irest_id=4

If you want to be closer to the Plaza, Bottega del Vino on 59th st. just east of Fifth ave. is a nice Italian wine bar. It's a bit pricey but not outrageous. http://bottegadelvinonyc.com/media/bottegadelvino.html
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Sarabethe's is disappointing IMHO but usually mobbed. It would not be my choice for lunch, maybe, just maybe breakfast.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Petrossian: Beautiful Art Deco dining room, very good kitchen, fine service. We're headed there tomorrow night for the dinner prix-fixe before a Carnegie Hall concert by the Berliner Philharmoniker.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I also like Le Pain Quotidien, but I am surprised that a chain restaurant would be recommended. When traveling it is nice to go to a "one of a kind" spot, IMO.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM

You could walk across 58th to 3rd Avenue. There's a nice Indian rest. between 2nd and 3rd..Dawat. Thy have excellent lunch specials and the atmosphere is very nice and conducive to conversation.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM

We had a very nice lunch today at The Boat House in Central Park before our row boat ride around the lake there. This is our first time in NYC and we loved our time in Central Park! It was beautiful today in NYC, our dinner at Le Bernadin was amazing, I even got a picture with Eric! And he signed my menu for a souvenir. I hope you have a great time in New York City. ***kim***
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Great information from everyone, thank you. We had lunch on a rainy weekday at Nougatine and all of us enjoyed it immensely. Food as well done as anywhere, service fast and graceful (e.g. traded butter for olive oil in two seconds). Each dish was so well presented we ended up taking pix of each other's plates (uncool, I know, but no flash). Very grateful for the tip. We also ate memorably on other days at Ristorante Po on Cornelia Street (crowded, noisy, excellent food), Niko's on W76th (our favorite neighborhood joint).. and for all things Viennese, Cafe Fledermouse in the Neue Gallery on Central Park East.