Suggestions for Lunch in Napa Valley

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Lunch in Napa Valley

Looking for a good place to have lunch in a few weeks either Yountville or St. Helena. Short list is Cindy's Backstreet (heard this is hard to get into), Mustards, Napa Valley Grille, Brix.

There are so many places had to decide. There will be 4 of us, and looking for something similar in atmosphere (upscale casual, reasonably quiet, moderately priced, outdoor patio preferably) to Girl and The Fig which we adored in Sonoma. We will be there 3/20 - 3/27 - don't know if that rules out outdoor dining (??)

We have chosed Martini House for dinner with our friends Fri night - is this a good choice? I have also booked breakfast the next day at Auberge du Soleil - someone at work told me not to miss for the views. I am aware it is a little pricey.

So many restaurants, hard to choose, and I know there must be new ones not in the guidebooks. I wanted to check out Trilogy which I read about, but could not find on-line. Is this still open?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

p.s. Pino Blanc is also on the list.

Can anyone give comparisons on our choices?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I was just about to recommend Pinot Blanc when I saw you added it. Lovely garden area and delicious food. While I love Mustard's (haven't been for a few years though) there's no outdoor dining there is there?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

We also want something fairly quiet and relaxing. Mustards has been described as "boisterous" so a little lower on our list.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I have not been for nearly three years, but how does Bistro Jeanty compare with Pinot Blanc?
M
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM

In Yountville, I'd recommend Bistro Jeanty (love the ambiance here) or Domaine Chandon (gorgeous grounds and wonderful food!) Cheers! ***kim***
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

We have tentatively booked Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen for lunch.

We liked the looks of Domaine Chandon for dinner, but too expensive.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Although not a small and quaint as Girl and the Fig (which I visited in July 2004), I really loved Tra Vigne Restaurant (which I haven't visited since January 2003). It has a great indoor space -- big windows, tall ceilings, great light. And the food is wonderful. It's Italian, and I liked it much better than Mustards or Bistro Jeanty.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I'll be dining at girl and the fig very soon myself. And yes, Tra Vigne is excellent! We have only had dinner there tho enjoyed our meal very much and will definitely return.

You may also want to ask on the SF Chowhound board for more responses. ***kim***
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:09 PM
ssm

I'll second the Tra Vigne rec. For lunch, I actually like going to the deli section and eat in the patio. The grilled vegetable sandwich is to die for (especially when accompanied by a nice glass of wine).

I am heading up there this weeked. Cannot wait!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Kal

Don't forget Hurley's or Wine Garden in Y'ville.

Both have outdoor dining and aren't too expensive.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Hi wanderer ! Welcome back !

I Have had many lunches at Cindy's Backsteet Kitchen,
always great,yummy food!
The only time we HAD to have a reservation was the day after Thanksgiving last year. If it makes you feel better, make ressies.

Also St. Helena, I can recommend
Market
had lunch there in February-
very good comfort food.
(The chef and partner that opened this
are now opening Cyrus in the Hotel Les Mars over in Healdsburg-supposed to be the place to watch in Sonoma County.)

I hope you will love Martini House as we did last month.
This week or next, I going to try
a new place called
Cook in St. Helena and
looking forward to the opening of Press
next door to Dean & deLuca.

Some other lunch choices for you in
Yountville:
Wine Garden
small plates,very fresh local foods
Kal wisely planned our last GTG here in Nov.2004!
napawinegarden.com
read Jeff Cox's recent review.

Two more I find consistently good:
Hurley's
Napa Valley Grille

Two that won't break the bank:
Cucina a 'la carte
(in the Vintage 1870 Building)
Pacific Blues Cafe

Why does everyone avoid Napa town ?
The redevelpment of the area is very nice.
Celedon
celadonnapa.com
I find perfect for lunch, (and probably dinner though I have only had lunch)

Do not miss a stop into the
Bounty Hunter Rare Wine &
Provisions

my idea of the best wine bar/shop in the area-you can also eat sanwhiches,
salads,pizza's and such
Copia is in the area,you'll have to decide if it's your thing.

So, where are we meeting this
year ?

R5
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

R5 - good to hear from you! Thanks to you and Kal for info. on Wine Garden. Had not heard of it, so will check it out. Would love to hear more about Press and Cook!

When we were in Sonoma in Oct., we ate at Cantinetta Tra Vigne, which was one of the best meals we had - although none I can think of I did not like!! - but I was scared off of Tra Vigne for dinner due to reviews I saw on Fodors restaurant user reviews.

We are SO looking forward to this trip. You who live in this area do not (or maybe you do) realize how fortunate you are. Right now we are getting another snow storm in NE - 6-10 inches - 20 degrees, with winds at 0 or below. Such fun. I am always amazed, also at how very friendly CA people are. My husband and I are checking out real estate in Sonoma this time around. It will also be a more relaxing trip, as we have seen much of the area, and will concentrate on Napa Valley this time without all the driving around.

So far - subject to change - we are dining at Cindy's Backstreet Fri lunch, then Fri night at Martini House, then Sat AM having breakfast at Auberge du Soleil.

My husband and I want to see Napa town. That and Yountville were the only 2 towns we did not get to see last trip. We are renting a house in a vineyard for the week in Yountville, and fully intend to check out/eat in Napa and elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend casual inexpensive place in Calistoga for lunch? We like the sounds of Catahoula, as we have been to New Orleans and are fans of Paul Prudohmme (?sp), but again, read bad reviws.

R5 - I owe you a drink. Let me know where you want to meet up! Thanks all for the great suggestions.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Hello wanderer!
Catahoula has been closed for some time
and has been replaced with Stomp
which is pretty good.

If it is a sunny day,go to the
Calistoga Inn and dine outside in the garden patio by the creek.

Really good, and full of locals is
Cafe Sarafornia. Picnic fixin's can be had at the Palisades Grocery.

Am trying to figure out how to contact
you w/o posting e-mails here.
Maybe Kal will help us out....
R5
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:22 PM

P.S.
It was 73 and sunny here today.
R5
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Wappo Bar & Bistro, www.wappobar.com is very good in Calistoga. There is an outdoor patio to dine. I love the cucumber flavored water here, very refreshing! ***kim***
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:26 PM

How about Domaine Chandon for lunch instead of dinner? We've been there several times for lunch and believe that it must be better as you can see the lovely landscaping during the day. The tasting menu was great and reasonable for the wonderful food you get.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know what happened to Trilogy? Is that restaurant still around?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I just checked out Market - Yummy! I love their menu!

Does anyone know if they have an outdoor patio?

How is the ambience - want a nice place for dinner - but not dressy or really expensive like Terra (something on the lines of Tra Vigne), so trying to decide if this is more a lunch or dinner type of place. Definitely want to eat here....
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM

If you don't want something pricey, don't go to Tra Vigne for dinner! My husband and I treated another couple for LUNCH as part of a wedding gift...and lunch alone cost us 300.00! Tra Vigne is amazing...but if you don't want to have a costly dinner, I would check somewhere else!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -