Search

Suggestions for Easter trip to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Easter trip to Chicago

Hi

Will be visiting from the UK and spending Easter in the 'windy city'! Can anyone recommend anything particularly special that goes on at this time? We will have a 15 yr old in tow!

Many thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:42 PM

I can't think of anything specific around Easter except for perhaps some buffet lunches that will be offered on that Sunday.

You can check the following websites to see if there's anything special going on that week:

www.metromix.com
www.877chicago.com
www.ci.chi.il.us.com
www.chicago.il.org

If you are going to be here for longer than just a couple of days I'd encourage you to get out and see some of the neighborhoods, either using the Chicago Greeter service www.chicagogreeter.com or signing up for one of the Architecture Foundation tours www.architecture.org.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:17 PM

I agree with Kristi. Not much unusual happens in Chicago around Easter, except for maybe Easter egg hunts for small children. Although, I believe the museums have a few special exhibits running and the Lincoln Park Zoo (no fee to enter) may also have something special for Easter. If all else fails, take your teen shopping on Michigan Ave. and State Street...great stores located on both! If your teen is a daughter, you may want to go to one of Chicago's great spas. If you have a son, maybe try taking him to the famous Wrigley Field, where the Chicago Cubs baseball team plays. Local pubs and restaurants (in the neighborhoods) are a great way to mingle with locals. There are some great improv shows in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview areas of Chicago, as well, but some may not be appropriate for teens. Also, make sure to take advantage of the FREE Trolley service offered around the city. Kristi recommended some great web sites, especially metromix.com. If you need any specific recommendations, let me know. Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM

Go to the aquarium - it is superb. I think it is the biggest in the world and wonderfully laid out. But get there early to avoid queues.Only problem for me is that seeing other aquariums (e.g Sydney) now disappoints.
Chicago at this time is actually very nice - the council has laid out flower beds down Michigan Avenue a few years ago and it makes it very attractive. Wander up streets north of OAk St like Dearborn and State - they are really pleasant areas to walk around, perhaps totally unexpected for first time European. May not be your cup of tea, but could also consider taking a train out to Davis -upmarket suburb on the lake- bit like going to Richmond upon Thames, but see the difference in cleanliness etc. and how well the Americans do certain things (and wonder why the Brits cannot-I have a flat in Richmond).
Could take one of the high speed boats on the lake (but quite expensive), or hire bikes and ride along the lake front.
Dinner or drinks at top floor of Hancock Tower (regarded as better views than Sears Tower).

I was very pleasantly surprised by Chicago when I lived down town there for 3 months a few years ago.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

The Cubs will be out of town over Easter weekend, but if you are still in Chicago the following week they are playing San Diego on Tuesday night and Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. It could be really nippy at the ballpark but it is quintessential Chicago. I think the previous poster might be referring to the Davis Street station in Evanston, the North Shore suburb that is home to Northwestern University. Taking the elevated train through Chicago can be very interesting in itself.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM

All excellent suggestions. The Cubs are out of town that weekend but the Whitesox are in town (we have two baseball teams in town) playing afternoon games Sat and Sun.

www.whitesox.com

April is very unpredictable weather wise. Bring backups for 30 degree weather and something for 70 degree weather. Previous posters mentioned riding the elevated or "el" and doing architecture tours. There is a loop architecture tour offered while riding the "el." Definitely sample some Chicago style deep dish pizza. Discussions on this subject are endless on this board but my favs are Lou Malnati's and Gino's East. If you go to Gino's, bring a sturdy writing instrument and leave your mark on the graffiti laden walls.

www.loumalnatis.com
www.ginoseast.com

Navy Pier's IMAX theatre might be a good spot to hit with a 15 year old.

www.imax.com/chicago/

For an Improv show that a 15 could like and get into (many are either 18 or 21 and over shows) check out the chicago institution Second City. Many of the old players from Saturday Night Live started here ie, John Candy, Belushi brothers, Bill Murray etc.

www.secondcity.com

Enjoy your stay and pray for good weather. Chicago is magnificent under sunny skies.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Don't forget the famous "Garrets" popcorn, get it while it's piping hot. Carmel and cheese popcorn is the bomb.

I second one of the architectural tours. They were so fascinating. I did the michigan ave tour and surrounding neighborhoods.

I rode the seadog speedboat ride but that was in warmer months and it's quite nippy going that fast.

Go up into the john hancock for a drink in the signature room- doesn't cost a thing (except for drinks) and the view is divine.

I believe you can rent bikes along navy pier (4 person bike) and take off along the waterfront.

The art institute of chicago is great and so is the museum of contemporary art, but it doesn't compare to your beautiful Tate museum.

There are lots of wonderful eating places and intersting places to see in chicago. If you go to the Chicago vistors center (michigan ave and randolph?) you can pick up a variety of coupons and brochures of your interest.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:23 AM

There is a new Wild Reef Shark exhibit opening at the Shedd Aquarium on April 15 so if at all possible go on a weekday when it is not as crowded. And the Shedd's website says that on April 15, it will not open until 11:30 and that tickets are limited.

If you are planning to visit a lot of the museums, you might take a look at the CityPass www.citypass.net.

The visitor center that Redshoe referred to is in the Chicago Cultural Center at 78 East Washington although there are entrances on Randolph about 1/2 block from Michigan Avenue. There is a Garrett's Popcorn across the street at 26 East Randolph, the line is shorter than the one on Michigan Avenue. And yes it is as good as people say, I wish I'd never tried it!

One block away from the Cultural Center, on Randolph between State and Wabash, is the flagship store of Marshall Field's. You'll miss the Spring flower show which ends April 5 but the store is bigger and nicer than the one on Michigan Avenue.

Be sure to have plans for both cold and warm days, we get both in April, sometimes on the same day.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my enquiry.

If everyone is as friendly and helpful as you in Chicago - we are going to have a great time!

x
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:05 PM

We do like to have fun here in Chicago! Enjoy your trip!

Cheryl
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Not sure if church services are of interest but the gorgeous Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Avenue (across from Water Tower mall) usually has lovely services and musical performances all year around and special events during religious holidays:

http://www.fourthchurch.org/

Friday, April 18 7:30 p.m.
Stabat Mater by Domenico Scarlatti
Miserere by Gregorio Allegri
Good Friday Choral Service
The Fourth Church Morning Choir
John W. W. Sherer, conductor

All performances are free. Normally, the church also offers a free concert on Fridays at noon, but it will be hosting a special Good Friday noon service.

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Kal

While a bit "touristy" (isn't that what we are?) I bet the House of Blues Gospel Brunch might have an extra special performance given it's Easter Day? Just a thought.
Kal