Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Best of 50 States

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 12:11 AM
Linda

My family and I have set a goal of seeing all 50 states and their capitols. We usually rent a motorhome and go for 2-3 weeks during the kids summer vacation. We have traveled to WA, CA, OR, ID, MT, WY, ND, SD, AZ, NV, NM,UT and CO. We love these trips and the people we meet along the way. I know this is a very broad request but I would love any suggestions for fantastic itineraries to the other states. We could fly there, then rent motorhome, go down a river cruise...anything. We live in WA state and it would be great to keep the costs down. Any suggestions???Thank you

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 03:54 AM
Donna F

My gosh, it's time to see the East Coast so you can see not only capitols, but some of the early towns the kids just read about. It might be cheaper not to rent a motor home or to use it part of the time, but not all. For example, no one even wants to drive in downtown Boston but you could stay outside and take public transportation into and around. I would fly into Portland ME, Manchester NH, or Providence RI airports which are probably handier to a motor home place anyways and much easier to get into or outof. From Providence, for example, it's only a couple of hours to Plimoth Plantation. The next day you could down to Mystic CT, again only a couple of hours (for an old seaport) and then up to Old Sturbridge Village in MA. But of course, you still need to see Boston and the Freedom Trail and then a little north to Salem (witches trials). Plan to add a visit to Old Shaker Village in Canterbury, NH just outside NH's capitol of Concord. If you then go east you can travel up the coast of Maine and swing inland for a visit to Augusta (or is Bangor the capitol). Then you can plan a route westward thru NH mtn and/or lakes region over to VT. Then you could even include a trip to NY's capitol. I enjoy the living history places such as Sturbridge and Plimoth where you can ask questions of the "residents". In RI I would also include a trip to Newport and a visit to one or more of the mansions. If you get historied out, there's always an ocean or lake for some relaxing time. Have a great vacation!

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 04:15 AM
Tricia

Exactly what I was thinking! The East Coast is the best--full of history! Washington D.C., the Smithsonian-- all great for kids. You can even go in the summer and stay at the KOA campgrounds they have the log cabin house with bunkbeds that you throw a sleeping bag on- and the metro is within walking distance or if I remember correctly they had a tram that takes you there. Then you just ride it in to Washington D.C. A motorhome would be good to- just pick up a campground guide. We stayed at Jellystone went going to Sturbridge and it WAS SO MUCH FUN! My daughter was a pre teen then and they had a dance around the pool area that she still remembers! Have fun!!

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 05:30 AM
dan

At some point, you need to visit the North Carolina/Virginia mountains in Autumn. Truly beautiful. Leaves are usually at their peak 3rd to 4th weeks in October. Lots of wonderful waterfalls to visit in area around Brevard, North Carolina, including one from the movie "Last of the Mohicans." Driving a motorhome down the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a great trip. When there visit Biltmore Estate in Asheville, the former chateau-styled home of the Vanderbilt family and the largest private residence in the country.

Your kids would also love the outer banks of North Carolina. Why not do both in one trip? You can drive across the state and stop in Raleigh, which is right in the middle - Raleigh isn't one of my favorite cities, but there will soon be an excellent new science museum there with a rare dinosaur skeleton (near the capitol).

Combine this with a trip to Charleston, South Carolina and drive up through Virginia.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:51 PM
Linda

May I recommend Austin, Texas, as the capitol, to begin. The LBJ Library, the Capitol, etc., are all interesting in the city. From there, drive west about 1 hour to LBJ ranch near Johnson City & 30 minutes on to Fredricksburg (German influence as this area was settled by mainly Germans & Mexicans)in the Texas Hill Country--very scenic & to Kerrville or go 1 hour south to San Antonio. San Antonio has 3 amusement parks, the Alamo (Texas shrine), Spanish missions (Mariachi mass at Mission San Jose at noon on Sundays), Riverwalk (area of restaurants, pubs, jazz bars & shopping), excellent food, Institute of Texan Cultures & other places on the old Hemisfair grounds. SA has a very Hispanic & German flavor. About 3 1/2 hours north of Austin is Dallas/Fort Worth with more amusement parks, shopping, museums, etc. About 4 hours east is Houston & 30 minutes south of there is the NASA area & the Space Center is worth the visit. Galveston is about 45 minutes south & has the Strand & beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Try www.TravelTex.com for excellent information and suggestions. Of course, you could spend the entire time in Texas; but, New Orleans is 6-8 hours east of Houston. Have fun!!

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:53 PM
Linda

Oops!! Baton Rouge is just north of New Orleans--forgot about your desire to see state capitols.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Julie

You definitely need a taste of southern culture...a slower pace, friendly people, and beautiful scenery.

I happen to believe North Carolina is a great choice. It has such a large range of geographical features,landmarks, and "off the beaten path" activities.

The Asheville area with the Biltmore House is a good choice (although sometimes it gets touristy), while Blowing Rock (near Boone) is absolutely beautiful all of the time. You can hike, go white water rafting, or visit the small town arts-type stores. Then you should head towards the Triangle area where the International Special Olympics will be taking place in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill during the week prior to July 4th. What a once in a lifetime opportunity! You will love the Triangle where you can visit the famous Duke University (georgous) and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (the oldest university). There are certainly some great museums; but, you will love the laid-back culture that brings so many people to this area.

If interested in "small-town" living, take a trip to a small town in the middle of the state called Seagrove (my hometown). You will find over 100 local potters. Many of them have turned bowls for up to 5 generations. It is lovely and you will find some great buys. People travel here from all parts of the world. The new NC Pottery Museum has just opened. You could spend 1/2 to 1 day visiting the shops, and then go to the nearby (5-10 minutes) NC Zoo, which is one of the best in the US. You will love it!

Then finish your NC trip with a stop by the coast. I highly recommend the Wilmington area (Wrightsville Beach). It provides much more than just a seashore. You can visit Fort Fisher, the historic downtown Wilmington area, as well as eat at one of the many great restaurants. (Elijah's is my favorite.)
Maybe you will see TV/Movie actors/actresses, as Wilmington is a popular filmmaking location and great vacation area. Call for hotel reservations during the summer months.

You could then head down through South Carolina to Charleston or to Atlanta Georgia and the surrounding states.

You'll have a great time.

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Deb

How about the middle of the country? Wisconsin is beautiful in summer (15" of snow and -25 wind chills right now). Just a few interesting places... the capitol, Madison, is a blast; the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers; the glaciated parts of the state, preserved in the Kettle Morraine State forests; Old World Wisconsin; Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin; my favorite area is Door Co. (the thumb on the state,quite crowded in summer); Wisconsin Dells. There is a circle tour you can do around Lake Michigan (which would lead you to Door Co. on the way). Have fun!

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 07:33 AM
dan

I will add a second recommendation to my earlier one for North Carolina. I agree with the previous poster that you should make Madison, WI one of the state capitols that you visit. I lived there for 8 years, and I absolutely loved it. You can't appreciate all its charm in one visit, but you can see a lot. It has one of the most beautiful capitol buildings too. The city is situated on two large lakes. There is a zoo, a decent art museum, and lots of parks. However, the best thing is the people. To appreciate the human aspect of the city, visit the University of Wisconsin campus and State Street. Excellent restaurants of all kinds abound.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 07:25 AM
nancy

Others have recommended the NC Triangle area in summer. If you enjoy hot humid sweltering heat, them come ahead. I prefer the south in spring. New England is beautiful and I think the best place to start on the east coast. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire - all beautiful.

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 05:50 PM
Mary Beth

Hi Linda,
I would have to agree with the folks who recommend coming to the midwest. Although I would not give a specific itinerary you would never be bored spending three weeks in Wisconsin. Breathtaking state parks abound with wonderful campgrounds. The state campgrounds take phone reservations now. You must see Madison. Home of the 94 and 98 Rose Bowl Champion Badgers. The capitol building is beautiful and there is a fabulous green market on all four blocks surrounding the capitol on Saturday mornings. Also wonderful Concerts on the Green on Wednesday evenings at the capitol. On the Wednesday before the 4th of July the Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra performs the 1812 Overture accompanied by cannon blasts. Madison also has Rythm and Booms fireworks around the 4th. The best fireworks I have ever seen. Another must see is Door County. Crazy in summer but the Lake Michigan side has beautiful sand dunes and Penninsula State park has an outdoor theatre. Milwaukee has great festival grounds on Lake Michigan. Just about every weekend during summer a different culture has a festival. Milwaukee has a great zoo and museum. You could go north into Michigan and see the Mackinaw Bridge and Mackinaw Island. Lots of Indian history in Wisconsin and Michigan. Wisconsin Dells is very touristy but a trip on the "ducks" is fun. Also Baraboo has wonderful circus memorabilia. Go to the west side of the state and you could stay at Wyalusing State park overlooking the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. You would not be at a loss for things to do in WI. However, if one of the main attractions is state capitols you could see several of them in the midwest during your 2-3 weeks. If you would like more info, please feel free to e mail me direct. Have fun planning!

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 10:50 PM
linda

Thank you to all who have offered their suggestions for our 1999 summer road trip. Anyone think of anything else???

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 02:59 AM
cedar

OK, since you will be in Michigan, drive south across the Macinac Bridge (5 miles long across the Straits...between Lk. MI. and Lk. Huron) and drive down the east shore of Lk. MI....a beautiful drive along the blue waters of Lk. MI. and hundreds of inland lakes. Stop at a long Torch Lake, to see the 5 shades of blues in the 23 mile long lake and continue to Sleeping Bear Dunes....a National Park that is approx 30 miles along the shore, The dunes are breathtaking! You can hike the dunes and climb the steep, "dune climb". There is a wonderful drive with overlooks. It is well worth it!

Old Feb 10th, 1999, 05:20 PM
Hibernian

New England would make for an ideal summer vacation, You could easily see 6
states in a 3 week span. In
Massachusetts alone you should visit : Boston,Cambridge,Cape Cod,Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Ann, Walden Pond,Berkshires, Lexington/Concord.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Sandy

Itasca State Park in Minnesota is fabulous and who could miss the headwaters of the Mississippi?!It's the classic photo memory to have your kids walking across the Mighty Miss on stepping stones. You could spend a week enjoying the beauty of northern Minnesota in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) or staying at a resort. Of course if you want to see MN's capitol head down to St Paul and visit Minneapolis as well. Minneapolis has the most beautiful park system in the country. Bike trails that wind around 6 city lakes plus Minnehaha Creek and waterfall. Of course there's the monstrous Mall of America, but that's not my idea of a vacation. Anyway - have fun planning! Sandy

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Tina

Hawaii, Alaska, New York, Californa, Montana,New Mexico, Arizona if you only have a short time.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:12 AM
sue

Columbus,Ohio..
check out the capitol building & nearby
columbus museum of art,center of science & industry,shop at city center,or easton & easton market,take in a ballet,or concert,visit the zoo & Jack Hannas famous animals there,go galery hopping in the short north & see the nearby OSU campus & horseshoe stadium,check out the olentangy indian caverns,or wyndott lake ,check out a crew game & meet some of the players afterwards,call 1-800 Buckeye have an ohio book sent out with coupons & other ideas...........have fun lots of great palces to eat in columbus too.....

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:16 AM
hmmmm

This is a post for a 1999 road trip. Is the original poster still interested in road trip advice? Linda are you still looking for ideas? Maybe for trip 2001?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:32 AM
J T Kirk

You're all a bunch of city slickers (I say that with a smile on my face).
What about the Wild West? The grand and towering Tetons? The moose and elk and bison crossing the grassy plains of Yellowstone? The awe-inspiring great salt lake? Delicate Arch in Arches? The vast expense of Canyonlands? Monument Valley, the setting of nearly every John Wayne movie? Santa Fe and Taos and all the great Indian culture of the Desert Southwest? The one of a kind Grand Canyon? That land takes my breath away everytime I see it, and smell it, and touch it. Wow.