Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a weekend getaway for 2 girls.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Bernadette

My sister-in-law and I are looking for a weekend trip for the weekend of the 17th-20th. We don't want to spend much. Any suggestions on where to look? Where to go? What to do? Thanks.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 08:35 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Well, you haven't given us much to go on (like where you'll be traveling from), but I'd suggest New Orleans. It's an off-season weekend and you should be able to get good hotel rates.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 08:59 AM
Ruth

Yes, it would help to know where you're starting from since that will affect costs, but other good choices are Washington, DC, Charleston, SC and San Francisco.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Bernadette

Sorry! Here's some info...we'll be leaving from Dallas (either Love Field or DFW Intl), and we can leave either Friday, the 17th or Saturday, the 18th. We can go pretty much anywhere. Then we can return either Sunday or Monday. Where can we go and where should we stay while there? One problem that we have is that she is 20, so I can't really take her anywhere where you'd have to be of age. I hope that's enough info...any kind of travel is fine (cold/hot, ski/sun, etc.)

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 10:50 AM
Brian in Atlanta

You can fly round trip from Love Field to New Orleans on Southwest for $150. There are still hotels available in the Quarter for around $80. Try http://www.180096hotel.com/.

If you haven't been, N.O. is a lot of fun and I don't think your travel partner will have much trouble being served unless she looks really young.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Christie

Hot Springs, Arkansas fits your bill! You don't have to fly, in fact, it's just a 3.5 hour drive from Dallas on I-30. Hot Springs is a fun town that is best known for its wonderful, historic bath houses. For $25 a person, you get the deluxe bath treatment and a massage- wow! (You feel like cooked spaghetti afterwards- ralaxing!) There are all sorts of hotels in the area- from the fancy Arlington to the inexpensive Super 8. Downtown Hot Springs is filled with cute shops and pretty Christmas light displays. And if you feel like gambling, Oaklawn Park has video slots!

Email if youneed mroe info- my family owns a timeshare there and loves it!

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 06:35 AM
Bernadette

Christie-

You're right. Hot Springs does sound like a perfect getaway for us. It sounds relaxing and fun. Could you give me more info? I tried to get your e-mail, but I couldn't. My address is "[email protected]". Please write with some suggestions. Thanks...

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 06:43 AM
KC

Have you thought about staying in Baltimore? My wife and I really enjoyed it. Ate crabs all weekend and stayed at the Harbor Inn in downtown Inner Harbor (http://www.harbormagic.com/marketing/007/).

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:11 AM
Christie

For thebest info onHot Springs, check out their website: http://www.hotsprings.org

There are even neat "packages" offered by the local B&Bs and the spas!