Reload this Page >

suggestions for a honeymoon location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:33 AM
x

I'm getting married in September and we are having a hard time coming up with a unique location for a honeymoon.

Since the wedding is in September, we are concerned about hurricanes and have ruled out the Caribbean and east coast beaches. The wedding is in Charlotte, so we're ruled out Hawaii as just too far away for a 1-week trip.

We do like the outdoors, but aren't big hiker/camper people. Have been to New York City and don't want to do a big city for the honeymoon.

Any suggestions?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:25 AM
GOL

Two specific and one general

In general, September is a great travel month; the kids are in schools and weather is usually not too hot or cold.

Northern Wyoming - Yellowstone area. Beautiful; unique; We ran into a couple on their Honyemoon and they said they were having the best time!

Reconsider the Caribbean. Our Honeymoon was in Barbados in mid Sept. We practically had the entire beach, pool and restaurant to ourselves (and another French couple). No kids. Great room. The price was a fire-sale at $1002 for 7 nts and air (albeit a few years ago) - with American plan. Many islands discount Sept. All we wanted to do was stare into each others eyes, drink rum on the beach and be together. It was perfect. Maybe we were to young to give the weather any respect, but I'd do it again in a minute.

Cruise. Co-worker raved (for the most part) about her Honeymoon on a cruise. Total pampering and luxury. [She was bored of it all by the time it was over]

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Carol

Thanks GOL, I like the idea of Wyoming. We're not the cruise type (though we did try). I was without power in Charlotte for almost a week with hurricane Hugo in 1989. My soon-to-be parents-in-law didn't have power or water for several days after hurricanes Fran and Floyd. I can handle no power, but I draw the line at not being able to flush!

Maybe because we're not that far from the coast we have discounted the idea. One of my co-workers jokingly (I hope) suggested South of the Border.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Cheryl

Since you like the outdoors, September would be a great time to visit areas out west. I like the above poster's Wyoming/Yellowstone suggestion. Also consider Colorado - Vail/Beaver Creek and Aspen are nice to visit in warmer weather as well as winter. Durango, Colorado is a neat place (look into the Tammaron resort - very nice for a honeymoon). You may also want to consider the Grand Canyon area, Zion Nat'l Park and Bryce Canyon. Scottsdale, Arizona would be a great place for a honeymoon (although I'm not sure if too warm in early September). You could explore the area around Sedona and Flagstaff from there. Palm Springs, California might be a possibility, although again I don't know if it would be too hot in early September. Another idea: Drive up the coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco, spending time in Santa Barbara, Big Sur, and Monterey/Carmel.

If you want to stay on the east coast, but away from hurricane areas, consider Lake Placid in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. It is a very charming town with many nice restaurants and shops, but still retains quite an nice ambience. The two best places are Mirror Lake Inn (right in the town of Lake Placid on Mirror Lake), or Lake Placid Lodge, about 10 minutes outside of the town right on Lake Placid (the actual lake). Both would be nice resorts for a honeymoon. Lake Placid is right in the "high peaks" area of the Adirondacks; a very beautiful and scenic area that will be starting changing over to fall foilage in September ... a great time to visit!

Another thought depending on your tastes is Bar Harbor in Maine. Although on the east coast, it is rare that hurricanes head up that far. This is another quaint town and very close to Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island ... a very beautiful area and easy to see via car (if you are not into hiking). September is a great time to visit - weather should still be mild, and you will miss the summer crowds. There are many nice inns in the town.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas. Have fun planning!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Penny

The Cotswolds in England. Fly to London, stay a night, take the train to, say, Oxford. Rent a car there and drive through the countryside, stopping also at Stratford-upon-Avon to see a Royal Shakespeare Company play and at Warwick and Kenilworth castles. September is the best time to go to England, in my opinion.

This was my honeymoon and to me, of course, the best.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Ann

September is the best time of year to go to Ireland. Malin Head (the most northern point in the country) in County Donegal is quite possibly the most beautiful place on earth. Also, the Wicklow Mountains south of Dublin are spectacular. There are lots of romantic inns and B&Bs tucked away in various places.

On the west coast, in County Galway, is a lovely inn called the Cashel House. It's right on the coast, has its own horses for guests, a tennis court, beautiful grounds, incredible food. My husband and I loved our room--big fluffy robes, very spacious, etc. There's a pub within the inn, and we were served our drinks on silver trays. It's also not prohibitely expensive. They have a website--just search for Cashel House.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:27 AM
deb simmler

Do not rule out carribean been there ourselves many times in sept, great weateher and prices, try british virgin islands or turks and caicos islands.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:29 AM
deb simmler

YES!! Ireland is great bet, i agree with the person above went there for our honey moon in 1995 3 weeks with rental car staying at b&b's each night in differnt towns great fun!!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Carol

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of Yellowstone and Ireland for the honeymoon. Nothing against the others, but either one or both of us have been to Maine and Colorado. Would like to go someplace neither of us have been to before. Like GOL, want to stare into each other's eyes, etc.

My goal is not have a stressful wedding, and it might not happen. A stress-free honeymoon seems to be a must.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Penny

In terms of stress-free honeymoon: We did something that worked great for us: we left for our honeymoon a week after the wedding. That way, we got to stay around and enjoy our out-of-town guests. People thought we were crazy to go back to work Monday, but it actually was refreshing to be back in a routine, and it gave us a week to prepare for the honeymoon without having to worry about the wedding, too.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Jennifer

We went to Montserrat for our honeymoon, but then the volcano blew everthing up a few years later. I took my husband to Paris for our ten year anniversary, however, and nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, beats Paris!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:52 PM
patg

Have you considered Quebec City?

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 10:19 PM
xxx

Edinburgh, Scotland would be my recommendation. Beautiful city and easy to get around in. And the weather is supposed to be great in Sept. I just got back from Ireland and Scotland and would definitely choose Scotland for a honeymoon. Prettier country than Ireland and the people were so nice. And Edinburgh offers many good restaurants. A few days in the Highlands would be a great spot of you since you like the outdoors - absolutely beautiful with valleys, mountains, lakes and castles.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Cat

My mom was in Quebec City in the fall and still raves about how wonderful it was and how she can't wait to get back. And with the US dollar being so strong right now in Canada, you probably would get a lot for your budget.

However, I would also second the vote for Edinburgh. One of my favorite small cities - population of 480,000, but so much beauty. Great architecture and wondeful people.