Search

Suggestions for a 10 day roadtrip to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for a 10 day roadtrip to Colorado

Friends,

We are based out of Arkansas and have a 10 day window during Christmas to go on our first vacation in US. The plan we are broadly thinking of is to drive down from Arkansas to Denver and spend 3-4 days at Estes Park. We are looking for another destination nearby which will give some variety and spend another 2-3 days. Then spend a couple of days at Denver before we drive back home.

I am looking for driving route suggestions (scenic), attractions on the way, stay recommendations and ofcourse on destinations and things to do. We are a small family with a grown up teen. Generally, we like to take things at a slow place and explore the area, food, culture in our destinations.

Thanks,
R
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 09:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you comfortable driving on ice and snow? I assume you know that Trail Ridge Road will be closed?
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 10:52 AM

There's a fairly good chance there will be snow on the ground in Estes Park then (certainly in the national park).I would opt for Colorado Springs which has many things to do/see and not as likely to have snow then. Due to the possibility of snow in Kansas, it would be best to go on I-40 through Oklahoma to US 84 in New Mexico and then take I-25 north.
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 01:03 PM

If you decide to go to Col. Spgs., here are some things to do/see: Wander through the colorful rock formations at Garden of the Gods; go through Cave of the Winds; wander around Manitou Springs eating saltwater taffy exploring art galleries and the historic Cliff House hotel; eat and shop in Old Colorado City; and check out the Broadmoor Hotel. Check out the Rocky Mt. Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park; eat Colorado rainbow trout down in the Rabbit Hole which has whimsical Alice in Wonderland decor; eat steak or bison at a Western chuck wagon dinner.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Sep 1st, 2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Are you comfortable driving on ice and snow? I assume you know that Trail Ridge Road will be closed?
Thank you. I didnt know that. So, that means the route from Estes Park to Telluride has to be planned via colorado springs.

Originally Posted by PrairieHikerI
There's a fairly good chance there will be snow on the ground in Estes Park then (certainly in the national park).I would opt for Colorado Springs which has many things to do/see and not as likely to have snow then. Due to the possibility of snow in Kansas, it would be best to go on I-40 through Oklahoma to US 84 in New Mexico and then take I-25 north.
The suggestion to go via Oklahama was also made by a colleague who have driven many times to Denver. Thank you. We will mostly do that considering this will be our first winter driving tour. Our car is an AWD and planning to get snow chains just in case.

Originally Posted by PrairieHikerI
If you decide to go to Col. Spgs., here are some things to do/see: Wander through the colorful rock formations at Garden of the Gods; go through Cave of the Winds; wander around Manitou Springs eating saltwater taffy exploring art galleries and the historic Cliff House hotel; eat and shop in Old Colorado City; and check out the Broadmoor Hotel. Check out the Rocky Mt. Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park; eat Colorado rainbow trout down in the Rabbit Hole which has whimsical Alice in Wonderland decor; eat steak or bison at a Western chuck wagon dinner.
We are actually going there to experience the snow, probably try a bit of ice climbing. Let me read up more on Colorado springs and see if we can plan a couple of days there too. Thanks.
I will put up a tentative itinerary soon to get more specific feedback.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 12:23 PM

There's an ice park in Ouray, and an annual ice climbing event, but it's in January. Ouray is just over an hour's drive from Telluride.

https://ourayicepark.com/

Estes Park to Telluride is well over seven hours via I-70, over eight if you go via Colorado Springs. This already long drive could easily be complicated by weather, so you'll want to stay flexible. If the roads are bad enough to require snow chains on a passenger vehicle, you won't want to be on them.

The I-70 route will take you through Grand Junction and Palisade, which can be quite pleasant in the winter - take a look at things to do here:

https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/
https://www.visitpalisade.com/

Colorado National Monument is particularly pretty in the snow:
https://www.nps.gov/colm/index.htm

Keep in mind Telluride and all Colorado ski areas are going to be very crowded and very expensive over Christmas.

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 2nd, 2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

There's an ice park in Ouray, and an annual ice climbing event, but it's in January. Ouray is just over an hour's drive from Telluride.

https://ourayicepark.com/
Yes, I noticed how expensive Telluride becomes at this time of the year. Infact we have a pretty nice airbnb at Ouray at very reasonable rates. So, we were thinking of staying there for few days instead of Telluride.
Thank you for the rest of the links. We will keep our schedule flexible as much as possible, knowing the uncertainties of winter roads. Snow chain is only for emergencies. Thanks again Melnq8
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Recommend spending a little time learning to navigate the Colorado Department of Transportation website and/or app. Here's the website:
https://www.cotrip.org/home

The app is called "COtrip Planner". Both are decent but do take a little time getting used to, at least for me.

The cameras are good because you can see what the road conditions are right now. And they show you closures, construction, warnings, etc. You can enter a route and it gives info for that. The other states probably have something similar.

Have a safe trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Our plans are firming up :

Day 1 : Bentonville, AR to Denver (Will this be feasible in Winter or we should plan a stop in between?)
Day 2 : Stay at Denver
Day 3 : Denver to Estes Park [Stay booked]
Day 4,5,6 : Stay at Estes Park [Stay booked]
Day 7 : Estes Park to Montrose (stay cost works out cheaper than Telluride or Ouray) - Does this make sense or its better to pay more and stay at Ouray?
Day 8,9 : Stay at Montrose
Day 10,11 : Montrose to Bentonville with a night halt some where in between (any recommendations?)

Looking for more insights before we book the stays at Denver/Montrose etc.

Thanks,
Rajat
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 06:30 AM

Day 7 : Estes Park to Montrose (stay cost works out cheaper than Telluride or Ouray) - Does this make sense or its better to pay more and stay at Ouray?

Depends on what you want to do I guess. Montrose isn't a place I'd choose (nor would I choose Telluride for a non-ski holiday) but that's just me. It's a 45 minute drive from there to Ouray and a 90 minute drive from there to Telluride. Montrose is a full on town with plenty of amenties. There's not a whole lot to do in Ouray in the dead of winter other than the hot springs and the ice park, so Montrose might make a good compromise.

The drive from Montrose to Ouray will take you right through Ridgway via one of my favorite drives in the state. Ridgway has a few things of interest, including hot springs.

https://ridgwaycolorado.com/
https://www.visitouray.com/

Estes Park to Montrose will take 6-7 hours depending on route and weather conditions.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Depends on what you want to do I guess. Montrose isn't a place I'd choose (nor would I choose Telluride for a non-ski holiday) but that's just me. ....
Thanks. I have been thinking of keeping our driving distances short per day and take it slow. That way we will not be worried about unforseen road closures or other circumstances. Also days are shorter too. An alternative thought is split the initial drive over 2 days, extend stay at Estes Park by 1 more day, 3 days at Denver, and then drive back over next 2 days. That way, we will have more flexibility.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 06:06 AM

A fun tour in Boulder is the Celestial Seasonings Tea company. Also in Westminster on the way to Boulder there is a butterfly pavillion.