Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 1 week vacation in Anchorage, Alaska with 3 yr old.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are planning a trip to Alaska in August. I had a few questions for any travelers having traveled here.

1. Is August a good time to be in Alaska?
2. A colleague of mine suggested to travel by air, rent an RV once landed and just road trip Alaska for a week as a means to enjoy a road trip and also save on hotel money.
3. If we stick to the plan mentioned in no.2, what are good places to visit and camping spots?
4. We do have a 3 yr old who does kinda enjoy being out in the open. Any other places like water parks he may enjoy in Alaska.
5. What are good fishing spots. Do we get fishing gear on rent?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 01:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. If you mean this August -- like 6 or 8 weeks from now, you have left things very very late to begin planning.

Have you found any RV rentals with availability during your dates? If yes, my guess is they would cost more than typical hotel rooms.

AFAIK there are no outdoor water parks anywhere in the entire state. There is one indoor waterpark in south Anchorage.
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are very late to both book RV's, car rentals and hotel rooms. I am not a camper so cannot say anything about the availability of campgrounds for this summer at this late date. In terms of fishing, I doubt many fishing charters would allow a three year old onboard.
On of the activities in Anchorage itself as you head south actually is the Potter Marsh boardwalk where there are exhibits and you can view waterfowl and birds. Further south as you head towards Girdwood/Seward is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and in Seward there is the SeaLife Centre.