Search

Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Clayton

Suggestions?

We are headed to NYC the weekend of 12/20-12/23 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. My first return since 1996 NYC marathon and wife's first time, ever.
Staying in Upper West Side, Broadway one night (Hairspray), Tavern on Sunday dinner. We love Italian foods.
I welcome your suggestions (attire for sightseeing, good eats, places, etc.)!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Merilee

Since you're already staying on the upper west side I recommend eating at Carmine's (Italian) which is at about West 91st Street. Another good restaurant in the area is La Caridad at about West 80th Street. Here you can eat very good Cuban, Puerto Rican, Chinese food. It's been very cold and windy here so dress in layers so you will be warm and comfortable.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Bing

Dress warmly in layers. For food, pick up a copy of Time Out New York's Guide to Restaurants. Be forwarned, Tavern is not noted for its food but ambiance.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:53 AM
J

Some of my favorite, well-priced Italian food in the city is at Genarro's, which is on the Upper West Side. It's in the lows 90s on Amsterdam, I believe, but you can look for it on citysearch. Hope you have a good time. And I'll second the post above alerting you to the fact that Tavern is not known for its food. The lights are pretty, but don't go for the food. If it's atmosphere you want, enjoy!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Flynn

Two 'hot' restaurants on the Upper West Side are Ouest and Aix.

Il Mulino, Babbo and Lupa are the very best in the Village. Also Da Silvano.

As others have suggested, dress in layers.

Happy 25th Anniversary and many more!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sue

Thank goodness - I thought for sure I would have to endure someone bashing Clayton for a 'vague header'. Thank you New Yorkers for just giving intelligent, thoughtful suggestions. Happy Holidays all. Enjoy your trip Clayton and Happy 25th!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Fran

Clayton, be sure to post back after the weekend to let us know of you dinner choice. Happy Anniversary, and have a great weekend!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Me

Those village restaurants mentioned are GREAT, but reservations are near impossible (unless you eat at 5 or 11pm). Wherever you choose to go, make reservations first. Carmines is none for large portions and accommodating groups, not for fine food. I think some of the other restaurants mentioned would be better.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:07 AM
me

oops...i can't type...i meant "Carmines is KNOWN for" not "Carmines is NONE for"

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:25 AM
fluffnfold

Becco on 46th Street (Restaurant Row in the Theatre District) is a good Italian place. If you order the three-pasta special, the chefs will serve you three pastas of the day right from the saute pans in which they were cooked. Maybe that sounds strange, but it's unique and quite good--and there's no doubt that it's fresh.

More expensive (and elegant) than Becco, Barbetta is another Italian place on the same street. I believe they claim to be the longest-operating Italian restaurant in the city, or operated by the same family, or something to that effect. The dining room is beautiful, and service is excellent--done by older Italian gentlemen who view waitering as a career. Unfortunately, it's winter, but in the summertime, they have a beautiful little cobblestone garden with fountains and umbrellas where you can dine alfresco. Again, in the summertime, their tomato and mozarella salad (which they prepare tableside like you sometimes see Caesar salads done) is simply to die for! Excellent dessert cart also.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM
XXX

Hey, I heard that Mcdonalds and Burger King are really great places to eat. You should take your wife there. She would love you for it.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Annie

Sue, I knew it was too good to be true - this post was going along nicely until the idiot above started suggesting Burger King. Nice.

I would also like to thank everyone for politely helping Clayton, and I too have taken some notes for our next visit!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
oldorch

il giglio(sister restaurant to il mulino) is great if you are downtown. i love elio's on the east side. nani is also an old favorite.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Clayton

Thank you all for your gracious response and the great recommendations, we are really looking forward to this trip!
One final question - best transportation to/from LGA to Upper West Side-Super Shuttle?, taxi?, what?
Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Valeria

Hi Clayton. Just wanted you to know that I live on the upper west side and bring visiting friends and relatives to Carmine's often. It's like eating at friends or family. The food is good and the portions are large. It's not gourmet though and by that I mean: they don't take a slice of veal that would fill a cavity and saute it with a rare variety of Sicilian peppers and spices pulled straight from the Aegean and then ignite it with an exclusive brandy and serve it on an enourmous but beautiful plate garnished with a couple of pasta curls that have been scantily dressed with a pesto, shitake mushroom and balsamic vinaigrette sauce that has been deglazed and topped with a lonely asparagus spear, all for only $50.00!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM
oldorch

Boating and riding a unicycle is the best way to get around.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:29 PM
B

Taxi fare LGA to UWS (I live there) should be between $25-30 including tip and toll. For 2 people it's a no brainer--take the cab. If you really want to economize and have time but very little luggage, Take the m-6o bus (a regular city bus) from LGA to Broadway and 106th street. You can then take the m-104 bus down Broadway for the rest of the trip (what street are you going to?) Cost is $1.50,you need exact fare in coins or a metrocard,and ask the driver for a free transfer from the first bus to the second. Should take about one hour.
Super shuttle? my experience has been bad (being the first on and last off--2 hours total!)so I wouldn't recommend it

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:49 PM
waltp

Valeria, I thougt your post was hysterical! Thanks for a good chuckle tonight; too many times I have seen people jump on the bandwagon of the latest "hot" restaurant and swoon over a place that is exactly what you describe. Too funny!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:59 PM
One

I'll make the opposite response to Valeria's inane comments. Anyone who equates Carmine's with fine dining will never be asked by me for restaurant recommendations!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Howard

One added feature of Becco's three-pasta special: You can have as much of any or all of three as you want.
Another excellent midtown Italian restaurant is Remi on West 53rd between 6th and 7th Avenues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -