Search

Suggestion for some fresh air please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion for some fresh air please

Hi All:
So my friends and I are planning a 5-day vacation. We've been to NYC and Vegas together already, so we're looking to find somewhere that's away from the big city, but not too adventurously wild.. Our ideal destination is somewhere with lake, grass, fresh air, cabin (but not too much mountain trails) etc.. but we don't know the United States well enough to pinpoint somewhere like this.
We're thinking about Yosemite, but we've all been there too, so we're wondering if there are anywhere else that fits our criteria.
There are 4 of us, and we each have a budget of $500~1000. It'll be even better if it's near California, since we're flying from San Diego.

It's either that, or if anyone knows a nice cruise line around mid March, that'll be cool too.

We're eager to hear any suggestions for cool and relaxing trips, really. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM

What time of year?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Lake Tahoe?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM

If in mid-March as your post seems to indicate: Snow or no snow?
Snow - Lake Tahoe, Park City, UT, Hailey or Sun Valley, ID, Breckenridge or Vail, CO.

No snow - Sedona, AZ, Moab, UT Northern CA (Mendocino) coast or OR/WA coast.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM

The higher you go - usually the fresher the air, and closer to sea level - the more desolate - such as the Grand Canyon.

If you are going in the late spring/early summer - Lake Tahoe might offer it all, as well as Yosemite.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Mid March

Arches National Park in Utah
Big Bend in Texas
Saquaro in Arizona
Death Valley in California
Carlsbad Cavern and Guadalupe National Park-Texas/New Mexico

Most of these are desert areas, so lakes and grass would be hard to come by. However, they are really great areas. To me, the Grand Canyon is very awesome, but there really isn't that much to do there unless you are rafting or doing some serious hiking. These areas are best visited in Spring, IMOP.

If the trip is in the summer, then that would open up a lot more places.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM

The Grand Canyon is actually pretty high up in elevation. Of course, it gets a lot lower if you end up in the bottom of it though. I think Utah has the freshest air that I have been to.

I think Crater Lake has some of the cleanest air on the planet. So if you want fresh air and one heck of a lake, I don't think you will find anything that can beat it.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Cabins in the woods are easy to come by in the Sierra. We have a cabin we rent each year in the Arnold, Bear Valley Area. There will still be snow in march in all likelihood. Here is a link you may find helpful.
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...-sierra/arnold
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the replies!
Hm, it looks like a lot of places are still snowing mid March for these kinds of places huh.
We'd prefer no snow though, is there a specific site name rather than city names you guys think is a great place?
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Crater lake looks pretty nice actually! might take a look at that
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Death Valley is very scenic, plenty of fresh air but no lake or grass. They do have cabins! http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/fu...anch-1223.html

March is the perfect time weather wise to visit. You could easily drive from San Diego too.

Utahtea
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Mid March at Crater Lake is extremely limited. You will only be able to use the south entrance, and the rim road will be closed. If you want to cross country ski or snowshoe, those are your only options.

Now, if you come from July through September, it is very different. No cabins here though. You would probably want to find a place in the Bend area (we like Sunriver Resort, just south of Bend).
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Santa Fe? No lake, but everything else. You could even drive.

I keep looking at this place to stay, because it is on my bucket list:
http://www.santafehobbithouse.com/
How great does that look?!
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM

I'm not an expert on Santa Fe, but it's a ski destination so I wonder how warm it will be and what will the chances of snow be there? Something to investigate before going in the spring.

Utahtea
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs again, guys. That hobbit house looks neat haha.
What kind of things do people usually do in death valley/santa fe?
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Also Tucson, best weather at that time, lots ot do and only a six hour drive from San Diego or a short flight on Southwest..
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Artist Drive in Death Valley is a great scenic one way through road with many parking spots. http://www.nps.gov/deva/photosmultim...ists-Drive.htm

Be careful if you drive it. When we went through, someone on a motorcycle got off the edge and flipped the bike (wheels up).
We drove back to the park HDQ to get the guy help since there is no cell coverage.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Is the OP looking for mountains? "Our ideal destination is somewhere with lake, grass, fresh air, cabin (but not too much mountain trails) "

Santa Fe is not a ski town. It is known for its fresh air, its gorgeous light, its desert setting, its art, its Spanish culture, its food.
There is lots to do there.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Everything I've read for Santa Fe in March includes possible snow. While you don't actually ski in Santa Fe, there's skiing is just 16 miles away in the mountains. Just one article I found http://www.thefencepost.com/article/...NEWS/111119958

Utahtea
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Death Valley: Do a tour or two of Scotty's Castle, walk in sand dunes, artist point drive, devil's golf course, hiking to places like Mosaic Canyon, Natural Bridge Canyon, Little Hebe Crater, Golden Canyon to name a few. It's a large park with scenic drives, bird watching and history. If you're lucky you might even be treated to wild flowers in March. Spring can be pretty warm so you could even relax by the pool if you stay in Furnace Creek. http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Here is what we did in Santa Fe a year ago in September. I have no idea how these places will be in March: Walk around old town, visit nearby Bandelier National Monument, visit Pecos National Historic Park, drive the scenic Hwy 4, Turquoise Trail, Sandia Mountain, spent some time on old historic route 66, and a day trip to Tacos. You could also do a day trip to Chaco Culture National Historic Park.

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -