Search

Suggest a gift!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 03:11 AM
Mr and Mrs Antwort

Suggest a gift!

Our son has been to the US for a year and will graduate from High School in June. We are going there for the occasion and will for the first time meet his hostess, a retired elementary school teacher. She has been very nice to our son and really taken care of him. Can anyone give us an idea of a good gift for her?

Mr and Mrs Antwort
Stockholm, Sweden

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 06:07 AM
Wendy

Growing up my family had exchange student visitors
several times. The gifts that my parents still treasure are items typical of the country the
student came from, such as African statuary,
Chilean woodcarving, Scandanavian pottery. It is
not the cost of the item but its ability to bring
back the warm memories of inter-cultural experiences
shared. Your son is so lucky to have had such an
experience. I know my high school and college
exchange experiences are still treasured memories.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 07:03 AM
Arizona

Wendy is absolutely correct. A piece of Orrefors or Kosta Boda crystl -- perhaps engraved with your initials and date -- would be splendid. Give something that says "Sweden" when you see it -- something that lasts -- something in exquisite good taste. Not big, not flashy, but from the heart.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 02:40 PM
donna

I would say, bring them some flowers.
Americans love flowers. Or maybe a typical Swedish gift, that delicious licour you have.
Bring anything....as long as they know that you care.

Maybe let them read all your messages on the internet. They would probably be very glad 2 know just how much you did 2 find them the right gift.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 02:41 PM
donna

Americans love flowers. Or maybe a typical Swedish gift, that delicious licour you have.

Maybe let them read all your messages on the internet. They would probably be very glad 2 know just how much you did 2 find them the right gift.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 02:43 PM
donna