Search

Sugar Loaf, NY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Philip

Sugar Loaf, NY

Has anyone been to Sugar Loaf, NY? Can you give an opinion on the village? Is it a real arts & crafts community or ugly tourist trap? Any specific shop recommendations? Thanks.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:49 AM
AC

Philip:
I travel through Sugar Loaf every day during my commute. It is a real art and craft village and I don't think it is a tourist trap. Easy to just park the car and walk down one side of King's Highway and back up on the other side. Many different shops selling all kinds of lovely things...candles, clothes, soap. bath products, leather things...etc. Quite a few nice place to eat from casual to fancy. We just like to stroll on a winter afternoon and see what strikes our fancy. Right now is a great time to visit. The Christmas crowds are gone and all kinds of sales are going on. Any further information, you can email me directly. Have fun!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:09 AM
AC

I forgot to add that the Lycian Playhouse is also in Sugar Loaf. Always something happening there and the prices are right!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:10 AM
hamlet

I went to Sugar Loaf one weekend afternoon. I wouldn't call it a tourist trap at all. It is a small town though that you could cover in a couple of hours. I laughed when I saw AC pointing out shops with soap. When I was there it seemed like there were on overwhelming number of soap stores for a small town. You may want to check out their website www.sugarloafartsvillage.com.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Alex

It's certainly 'real' but over the past few years I 've found the type of the
items for sale disappointing. For example, there used to be a wonderful shop with a wide variety of pottery, another with kaleidoscopes and interesting contemporary jewelry. To my taste, much of the stuff I see there now is a little too kitchy-country. I think the best time to go is in the fall, when you can combine a short visit with a nice lunch at the Sugarloaf Inn (right at the end of the long few blocks that is the 'village') and some apple picking or winery touring.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Warwick

Hi Philip:
Come a little further on Kings Highway to Warwick, NY. The next town over. We have a great downtown with great shopping and eating options. The Warwick Valley Winery is a great place to visit. Mt Peter has some pretty good skiing or snowboarding going on right now. Hope to see you soon.
www.warwick.hvnet.com
www.wvwinery.com
www.warwickcc.com